Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora wearers and rude behavior

Within the last 6 months, have you noticed fedora wearers to be a bit ruder

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• No change

• Why, Senator Jack, you're about the rudest person I know.

• Total voters
Strider said:
At the last Queen Mary summit, several FL members were rude to me and a few of the other folks dressed as Indy. No one seemed to want to address it. That was over 6 months ago, but I still voted yes.

Why, I walked right up to a guy and introduced myself, and he just looked at me and walked away. This was at the QM!

I never saw any such thing the whole weekend I was there. If you had come up to me you would not have gotten that treatment and I know several of the other members certainly wouldn't. I find it hard to believe. [huh] If you are there this time, I'll personally buy you a drink at the Observation Bar. :D
I had breakfast with several COW members who were dressed as Indy and it never bothered me. They have quite the sense of humor. :D
The only "bad" comment I got was from one COW member, after breakfast, who said he wanted to stay away from us----because he and his wife would end up spending a ton of money getting a new wardrobe---particularly his wife. :p ;)

Regards,

J

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The only "fedora" wearers I see are actually wearing Panamas in the summer at classic car shows. These same guys do NOT wear felt fedoras in the winter however. But there are lots of Panama and straw fedora wearers around here in warm weather. They are a cross section of guys just as assorted felt fedora wearers were in 1950 I guess- all kinds of temperment.:)

ortega76

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Well what stuck out to me in the last few weeks was a fella I commented on on wearing a lid. He scoffed at me as in 'Youre not hot enought to comment on my hat and expect me to say thanks." That was a shocker, thinking a compliment is an invitation into my pants.

SO I voted yes, some are gettin ruder.

LD

Wow. If a woman (never mind a woman of refinement, beauty and taste such Lady Day ;) ) gave me a compliment on my hat, I would be very happy and return said compliment.

In general, I do find some rudeness among fedora wearers that fall into the "hipster" category as well as a lot of old timers.

Locally it's the old folks who occasionally wear the fedora or the like that I am really starting to dislike. Many of those old timers are generally the rudest, most self centered, full of feeling entitled to whatever there hearts desire no matter how poor they treat other people. Case in point. I heard an older man (in a fedora) screaming at the counterperson in a local coffee shop to refill the sample coffee dispenser. He was nursing his umpteenth cup of free sample coffee and wanted another one. The counterperson had fresh coffee brewing but the "gentleman" in question wanted it now. Ugh.

The group of people that wear fedoras and are consistently the nicest people I run across? The guys I run into that are into the tattoo/body mod thing.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Re:Fedora Lounge, I don't find many places more lacking in rude behavior. This is a pretty warm place by most standards.

As for the new trendiness of the fedora style hat, it has been bugging me for a while now. I don't like folks misreading my own fedora-wearing as a fad and I don't like how a lot of folks these days wear these shortbrim fedoras w/o appreciation of the history of the style.

I don't think they are particularly getting ruder, but I think that just because someone is wearing a fedora doesn't mean that they share your passions/appreciations and therefore aren't the kindred spirits as we sometimes consider the passing fedora-wearing stranger. Now, they're just strangers.

I'll be happy when the trendiness of the fedora fades and only the truehearts remain standing. ;)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Actually, that raises a question: do cedar chips work with felt hats?

Cedar chips will keep moths away, but if there are larvae on them, they won't kill them. Moth balls will. However, if your hats are exposed to the light, moths will not develop on them. So wear them all as much as possible. ;)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Not until now,...

Marc Chevalier said:
I've never met a rude fedora in my life! ;)

Get a load of this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:112&item=220025034332&id=

Legal Disclaimer;
The opinion expressed in this post is soley that of it's author, and is not the opinion of this forum.
The author of this post is here by absolved of any rudeness, or appearance of said rudeness, in the use of this example.
If any member of this lounge, either owner, designer, seller or buyer of this example, either past, present, or future, should find this post rude, the author does hereby humbly apologize in advance. :eek:

PS. In answer to the original question, no change.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Jack Scorpion said:
As for the new trendiness of the fedora style hat, it has been bugging me for a while now. I don't like folks misreading my own fedora-wearing as a fad and I don't like how a lot of folks these days wear these shortbrim fedoras w/o appreciation of the history of the style.

Oh, ow. Some of us newbies aren't so bad. *backs away from the new fedora display at Hot Topic and tries to look innocent*

Viola

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Viola said:
Oh, ow. Some of us newbies aren't so bad. *backs away from the new fedora display at Hot Topic and tries to look innocent*

Viola

Ah hah! Caught you!

Sorry: I didn't mean to say that newbies were bad -- or that short-brimmed fedoras are bad (I love them!) -- I just dislike fads in general. If you genuinely love fedoras and won't Drop It Like It's Hot in a year or two, then you can dance the party w/the best of them.

Strider

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
I never saw any such thing the whole weekend I was there.

Lots of people didn't see it. If you didn't see it, does that mean it didn't happen?

jamespowers said:
If you had come up to me you would not have gotten that treatment and I know several of the other members certainly wouldn't.

Well, we aren't talking about those people.

jamespowers said:
I find it hard to believe. [huh]

So that's what...a civil way of calling me a liar?

jamespowers said:
If you are there this time

Oh, I won't be! So don't worry about it.

jamespowers said:
I had breakfast with several COW members who were dressed as Indy and it never bothered me. They have quite the sense of humor. :D

Again with the: "Well I..."

We're not talking about you, remember? We're talking about RUDE people. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou