Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras at the inaguration

SteveS

New in Town
Has anyone else been noticing the amount of men wearing fedora's at the inauguration? Much more than I expected.

Ande1964

Practically Family
I wasn't sure where to post, but this seems like a good place.

Both Ted Kennedy and Muhammad Ali are sporting black fedoras.

Just saw a gentleman I didn't recognize wearing a red fedora, with matching red scarf. Pretty sharp!

Anj

nickn5

One of the Regulars
Brian Sheridan said:
Brian Williams on NBC has decreed "hats are back."

Sshhhhh, don't tell everyone! Ebay is costing me quite enough as it is without yet more competition... :mad: :D

N.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know the significance of the red hats worn by the African-American couple whom we are seeing regularly right now?

I do know that red Cross and other volunteers in the crowd are supposed to be wearing red hats, but I don't think that's who this couple is.......

Goose.

Practically Family
Yep...I really like that red fedora

How I felt when I saw that red fedora made me wonder if it was the same feeling my kid sister had when staring dreamily at her Donny Osmond poster in the 70's.

Feeling all wooozy and want one...

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kabuto said:
What's with all the flat-flanged fedora brims, with no snap or curl?

It was pretty pathetic seeing all the bizarre headware, ski caps, hunting caps, etc., that people were wearing. If you go to an event like this, dress up a little! But people just don't have nice headwear. And even the coats were so tacky. Nobody ever spends more than a few minutes out of a heated environment these days to really need to invest in dressy outerwear that is warm.

It's about 29 degrees there. People from my neck of the woods would probably be fine with layers and an overcoat (i.e., dressy cold weather wear) but consider the sheer volume of visitors from warmer climates that literally have no need to purchase warm clothing, unless they're skiers. Also, the millions of people that are supposed to be there make it less practical to dress up; think mud, muck, sleet, and general dirtyness.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
I think the views of crowds and guests at this event makes for a good example of how hats are worn for practicality or because people want to wear them, NOT because there is any cultural or social pressure in place that demands the wearing of a hat.

To me, this is a good thing.

Now, the inability to dress appropriately for cold weather, that is a different phenomenon altogether. I first witnessed its occurrence when I moved to a state in the south from my home state in the north. It was bizarre seeing ice sheets coming down (normal enough) and people running around in shorts (not normal). Completely inadequate coats were present, and I don't think a lot of people know what gloves are down here...

:p

just_me

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
It's about 29 degrees there. People from my neck of the woods would probably be fine with layers and an overcoat (i.e., dressy cold weather wear) but consider the sheer volume of visitors from warmer climates that literally have no need to purchase warm clothing, unless they're skiers. Also, the millions of people that are supposed to be there make it less practical to dress up; think mud, muck, sleet, and general dirtyness.
You are right on the money. I live in Florida and I have cold weather clothing because I ski, but I know many people here who don't own a jacket, gloves, or hats. I've lent my stuff to friends who head north on vacations in the winter. It's pretty common for people going north to piece together winter clothing from friends.

trailrunner

Familiar Face
I noticed quite a few fedoras also. Ted Kennedy and Dick Cheney were both wearing lids. However, once I started looking I do not think I saw a fedora on anyone younger than 60. Granted I did not examine every frame for them, but that was my impression once I started keeping an eye out for hats.

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
If I'm going to be out for a long time in very cold weather I definitely prefer wearing a toboggan, I've never found Fedoras to be particularly warm (of course they go above your ears). Though if you wear them with earmuffs.. That's a different story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran