Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora's in hot weather?

Sin Khan

Familiar Face
I am new to the forum and i live in Florida. I don't own a hat yet, and i am looking into getting one; But, i just have one major question.

Is it really comfortable to wear a fedora in hot weather?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Not really... especially in a humid climate. It can become aufully sweaty in the hot hot heat.

There are feather weight hats that were around in the old days, as well as ones with ways to ventilate the crown... though the best thing to do would be to wear a panama hat with a loose weave. The tighter the weave the less airflow.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Some more than others...

Like with any clothing, a lighter weight and color hat is more suited to warm weather.

In your neck of the woods, a vintage Champ Lightweight, or Stetson Open Road or Stratoliner would be good, particularly in silverbelly or tan. Of course, a panama would work for you almost year round.

FLJones

New in Town
I live in Miami and find there are only a few times of the year it's comfortable to wear a felt hat. Generally I find straw hats to be much better and save wearing the felt's for travel out of the state.

pointystuff

New in Town
heat and felt

It's still too hot for felt up here in Arkansas, even though we're over halfway through October. A Panama fedora is the next best thing when it's 90 degrees.
Brad

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Back in the 1940's in Baltimore there would come a day in the Spring when felt hat were out & straw ones were in. At the ball park on this day patrons would punch a hole thru the top of their felt fedora & throw it onto the field. If you didn't do it yourself a friend or neighbor would do it for you whether you wanted it done or not!!! :cry:

varga49

One of the Regulars
Jesussss!!

Solid Citizen said:
Back in the 1940's in Baltimore there would come a day in the Spring when felt hat were out & straw ones were in. At the ball park on this day patrons would punch a hole thru the top of their felt fedora & throw it onto the field. If you didn't do it yourself a friend or neighbor would do it for you whether you wanted it done or not!!! :cry:
tell me thats not true!!!!...think of all the vintage hats gone the way of abuse!

Solid Citizen said:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Now I know where all those vintage 7 5/8 went. :cry: Darn! :p

Regards to all,

J

Sin Khan

Familiar Face
It's just that so many other cultures wore hats, like sombreros and the Chinese hats, and turbans and such, I just figured that some felt fedoras would have been made to be worn in hot weather. I have seen some panama hats, but I just don't think that they look right with most of the suits that I have. I guess that if I can wear a suit in hot weather and know that suits were partly designed to be worn in all weather than I can just suck it up and add a felt fedora to my outfit.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I am beggining to search for many of the things that you all have posted. I appreciate it.

phre7

New in Town
Yes, in the Florida panhandle, it can get very hot in a felt fedora. I don't wear suits very often, but always have a hat on my head. I'd rather sweat a little than be sun burnt. A Tilley Airflow (LTM3) has been my choice when I'll be in the sun for extended periods during hot months. As for right now I've already gone back into the felt fedoras. (unless we get another heat wave) :cool:

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Montecristi Panama is my hat in Florida

I live in Florida and I wear a Montecristi Panama hat about ten months out of the year. The other two months its fur felt fedora's.

I have several price point Montecristi, even one that is my yard hat. Panamabob can help you if you want to wear the best straw in the world. :)

http://www.panamas.biz/

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I've seen some super lightweight vintage felt fedoras. Almost bought one, in fact. I forget the brand, but the felt was very thin, as was the sweatband, which was ventilated. The crown had a small vent in the top, very small holes in a coencentric pattern.

It was very light, as I said...I'd imagine it's a hat you wouldn't want to wear in breezy or cold weather. It would blow off easily and wouldn't keep in much heat. Still not as lightweight as a panama, and I'd imainge it would retain a margin of heat in hotter weather.

One of these days I'm going to break down, save up, and get a nice panama from Bob...maybe after Art's got the shop back up and he's cleaned out the backlog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR