Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras Live On For Atlanta Homicide

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Must read article in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Make sure you look at the photo gallery. Intro below.

Fedoras more than fashion for Atlanta homicide detectives

By JAMIE GUMBRECHT
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 07/27/08

The first fedoras are usually black, sometimes brown, almost always made of fine, soft fur felt. They wear Stetson and Dobbs, names that have been around for decades as institutions of haberdashery.

Atlanta police homicide detectives like their traditions the way they like their hats. Classy. Meaningful.

Every one of the 16 homicide detectives has at least one fedora. It's a solemn, stylish reward the first time he or she solves a case, paid for and delivered by the more experienced officers.

slideshow_646888_Murder_1046926.jpg

Thanks to 'Grayson' at Ask Andy for the original link.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Neat story:eusa_clap My Dad has a group picture of his department from the early 80's and all the detectives were wearing fedoras and a picture of the department taken many,many years earlier and the detectives were wearing fedoras. Fantastic tradition and it is great to see it enduring someplace:D

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
What a great story. Great to hear it.

I spec that hats are worn with just suits which in a way is cooler that when thety are worn with overcoats as this is obviously to keep warm. Suit only hat wearer like these detectives must look great.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Fedoras

...people living around a crime scene know a homicide is suspected when a man in a fedora steps out of a car....."When you see a fedora on TV, you know what the story is going to be about," "It's like walking around with a Yankees logo or a star on your helmet," Thorpe says. "What's Superman without the 'S' on his chest?" :eek: :eek: :D :eusa_clap [huh]

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Mr. 'H' said:
Great to hear that you can email your chief with cool stuff like that. Does he ever wear a fedora?

What about your fellow officers?
I gave my sgt. 2 fedoras but I don't know if he ever wears them, he can't at work cos he wears a uniform. I have started one other person wearing a hat on my squad.

My Chief was pickin at me one time calling my VS an indy hat but then said he wished he could wear a hat like that.:D

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
indycop said:
My Chief was pickin at me one time calling my VS an indy hat but then said he wished he could wear a hat like that.:D

That's when you say, "That's not an Indy hat--this is an Indy hat!" and whip out your AB from behind your back.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
AlanC said:
That's when you say, "That's not an Indy hat--this is an Indy hat!" and whip out your AB from behind your back.
He likes indy's hat.lol

Funny thing is that when the president where I work came to tell us we are not getting raises, he made the remark that if I didn't buy "that " hat I would have more money. "That" hat was Remembrance my 9/11 hat from Art, Everybody took offense to it even though they don't wear hats.

JeffW

Familiar Face
Last time I went to an inter-agency meeting, there were several other people wearing fedoras. Looking good I say.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
He likes indy's hat.lol

Funny thing is that when the president where I work came to tell us we are not getting raises, he made the remark that if I didn't buy "that " hat I would have more money. "That" hat was Remembrance my 9/11 hat from Art, Everybody took offense to it even though they don't wear hats.

"President"? Is that a LE job title?

O and I can see why others would be annoyed at that comment....

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Its not the breadcrumbs that are small - your mouths are too big

indycop said:
He likes indy's hat.lol

I had also that experience a senior manager descending from heavens to convey the underdogs a similar message...
You could have even more money if his post would be cut and his salaries distributed among the staff that is doing the actual work - I bet criminality would not increase a bit if that happened.

:rage:

The fedora on the other hand is an excellent idea for initiation.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Mr. 'H' said:
"President"? Is that a LE job title?

O and I can see why others would be annoyed at that comment....
Nope he's a civilian. When I worked for a Sheriff's office we were at the mercy of the county commissioners and now I work for the state at a University at the mercy of the president. Law enforcement at least in my experience is all kinda wrapped up in politics.[huh] Hopefully in a year or 2 I can work for the state totally.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
My Chief already replied to my email, on the weekend even. He said it was a very interesting article and that he actually has a fedora that he likes but just does not wear it, but would like too. Even said he should have been around in the 30's or 40's.:eek: :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran