Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feel like an enigma?

hargist

One of the Regulars
Here's an interesting story that has been unfolding in the last month, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences.

There's a woman in my office building and we see each other all the time. She works on another floor, but we must have the same schedule because we often share an elevator. For the past month, she's been trying to figure me out.

I've been wearing suits every day to work. I was already wearing fedoras on a daily basis and I guess I got tired of the casual look and feeling like a slob. Since I started doing that, I get a lot more attention because most offices now accept casual clothes as their dress code. So I stand out.

One day, I was wearing this suit and hat:

ml2.JPG

I was sharing the elevator with this woman, and she said to me, "James Cagney" to which I said, "No, Tom Hargis. What's your name?" She explained that she was referring to the way I was dressed. (No kidding!) I explained that I just like the classic styles and as I exited the elevator, she said, "Have fun."

I think she thought of my suit as some sort of costume, but as we kept running into each other, and as she saw me in different fedoras and suits, she realized that this is the way I dress and it's not a costume, so she's become very curious about me.

Last week, we again met in the elevator. She asked me where I get my hats. "All over. I've gotten some vintage hats at thrift stores, but many of my new hats I get from a hat store in Hollywood." She asked if she could hold my hat and she told me how she read that movie stars like George Clooney had to be taught how to handle hats for various roles, because they had never worn them and they wanted to look natural with them. I gave her some tips on how to put them on and take them off properly and she was fascinated.

Then today (casual Friday), we again met in the elevator. I was wearing black pants, a gray button down shirt, and a sort of greenish sports coat, and of course a hat. She asked me, "Do you ever wear blue jeans?" She was absolutely shocked when I told her that I don't own any.

"Really! My boyfriend doesn't own blue jeans either, but he grew up in the 40's." I said, "I just don't like them. I think other pants are far more comfortable."

After that exchange, I realized that she's trying to figure me out. One thing is for sure, there will be more questions.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
It's like a British Soap Opera... keep us updated with daily dialog.

*ahem* Tune in next time when the elevator woman asks Tom a most delicate question... what could it be? Here on "Love in an Elevator."

hargist

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
Sounds like you've made a new friend. :)

I guess I have. I think she looks at me as a curiosity.

It is interesting because it occurred to me that in today's casual culture, the act of wearing a suit when you don't have to (for no special occasion) is, I think, a kind of rebellion much in the same way some people dress punk and wear mohawks.

Of course the kind of attention one receives is very different.

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
I know the feeling! Now that I've been wearing fedoras and associated clothing for a couple years, every day is a humorous adventure.

I was in the elevator with my hat on at the Fox Tower in downtown Portland a few months back, and during my elevator trip a woman got on board. I immediately took off my hat and a look of horror or intrigue lit her face for the rest of our ride together. I couldn't figure out which it was, but either way, I don't think she'd seen anything like that before. I just smiled at her and walked off.

Usually I just receive compliments, or questions such as, "Wow, do you have a date tonight?" I usually tell them that I am on my way to some place like KFC or the DMV, and wait for them to look confused.

The other night I was at Men's Wearhouse (A store devoid of hats!) and I had the opportunity to spread the hat gospel to three chaps. As I was leaving, the topic of hats came up. After a few minutes I had the guys there measuring their heads and I was telling them their hat sizes. As I was driving home, I came up with an idea: I have a few nice vintage hats that I can't wear for various reasons (Too small, brims/crowns too large), and these guys seemed quite interested in getting hats of their own. I could sell the hats on eBay, but now I know their sizes! I called up the store and asked them what days they work and told them I'd like to give them a couple hats as gifts. They were overjoyed.

If we can get the very salesmen of modern dress clothes to embrace hats, surely we can get them to push hats on their customers! Most people that go into stores like that are clueless when it comes to clothes, and they accept whatever the salesmen tells them is in style. If this happens, maybe we will become less of an enigma -- but I don't think we really want that. Being an enigma makes life more exciting for me.

Matt

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
How interesting...

I get a lot of people who are curious about my clothing as well. Mostly because I make my own, and they are all from vintage patterns. Lately Ill be wearing an embellished cardigan and Ill get the comment "Did you make that?!" "Um, no, I dont have a knitting machine." lol

I think that is cool, and I do so enjoy your attitude with it. You understand she is being curious and you are not putting her down for it. Her curiosity is curious to you, how adorable :)

LD

Lionheart

One of the Regulars
hargist said:
One day, I was wearing this suit and hat:

Fantastic outfit :eusa_clap

I'm wondering if others will adopt this new theory that I've been working on:

"True style is never the rule, it si the exception". Maybe this is why you get the attention? At any rate, I think you look fantastic.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very handsome hargist! My brother collected red fez for years too. I was set for years, as I just bought him one for each birthday and special occasion.

I own about 60 suits. I love suits. (Can ya tell?).

Whenver I have a client meeting, I wear a suit, preferably vintage or reproduction vintage in most cases.

But in Northern California, I am the oddity, because I am a professional woman, in a suit, who does not wear casual clothing if I can. As a note to the other ladies, I wear modern hair and makeup and shirts, because I can only stretch this so far in my environment.

I did the elevator thing for 10 years, and we are about to move offices, so it will start again. I had a lot of men tell me "that's how my mother/aunt/sister" looked and than launch into telling me a nice memory of them.

I did get a lot of looks on casual Fridays if I didn't wear jeans....

Vintage Betty

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
A charming story. But now I am wondering if and when you should dare step it up to the next level. That is, The Fez.
Nah,...probably not a good idea. :eek:
It is so strange to be seen as an anomaly even if only wearing a modern suit in this too,too, casual world we now inhabit. I am seen as an enigma myself I think, just for wearing regular shirts with buttons instead of the standard uniform T-shirt. :rolleyes:

hargist

One of the Regulars
Maj.Nick Danger said:
A charming story. But now I am wondering if and when you should dare step it up to the next level. That is, The Fez.
Nah,...probably not a good idea. :eek:

Well, I did wear the fez in public for bowling on Valentine's Day. Sadly, it didn't help my game. Surprisingly, nobody said a word.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
hargist said:
Well, I did wear the fez in public for bowling on Valentine's Day. Sadly, it didn't help my game. Surprisingly, nobody said a word.

It's strange. I wear my own hand painted nose art A2 jackets to promote my art as opposed to promoting some lame team of millionaires that just chase a ball around a field, or some other "popular" corporate entity. I get almost no comments whatsoever, neither positive or negative. I suppose people are just too afraid to ask questions about another's choice of accessory or garment? Occasional positive comments are of course appreciated and I will explain nose art to any interested party. But thankfully, no one has made disparaging remarks,...not that I know of anyway. They had better not, or they will receive an embarrassing lecture in self expression and creativity versus crass corporate money grabbing. :mad:

Doh!

One Too Many
hargist said:

Liar! I was there that night (also in fez) and as I recall, didn't you win...? I, on the other hand, came in dead last with an impressive... 36.

StanleyVanBuren

Maj.Nick Danger said:
It is so strange to be seen as an anomaly even if only wearing a modern suit in this too,too, casual world we now inhabit. I am seen as an enigma myself I think, just for wearing regular shirts with buttons instead of the standard uniform T-shirt. :rolleyes:

Yeah, this is pretty much what I get too. I wear modern suits and people still notice & call me out on it. Luckily, I work at a law firm (I'm a law student), so whenever the attorneys have to make appearances they will then come back to the office in suits so I'm not the only one. I just can't quite figure out what's preventing them from keeping it up the rest of the time...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Fezeseses

I think the Fez look is tres cool, yet I can't help thinking of Laurel and Hardy when I see one. I had a cheap tourist fez that I brought back from Egypt when I was a kid. It's long gone, but I wish I still had it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner