Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feeling self conscious.

BigFitz

Practically Family
I like the vintage style but the only vintagey things I have are my Churchill Fedora and a USWings Indy style leather jacket. I have no problem wearing the jacket, but feel that when I wear the fedora the rest of my clothes make me look wrong. Should I quit worrying and just wear the hat no matter what I'm wearing?

churchill3-1-2.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I like the vintage style but the only vintagey things I have are my Churchill Fedora and a USWings Indy style leather jacket. I have no problem wearing the jacket, but feel that when I wear the fedora the rest of my clothes make me look wrong. Should I quit worrying and just wear the hat no matter what I'm wearing?

churchill3-1-2.jpg

Here's how you can get over your self conciousness, put a nice sized mirror by the door with your hat hanging next to it, that way you can take a look in the mirror to adjust the hat when you put it on, and when you do, say to yourself " your one good lookin' SOB :) " smile and head on out the door. After a week of doing this, you will KNOW it is so and you will ALWAYS put the hat on and face the world a COMPLETE man :) It's a good looking hat, wear it and enjoy it and have a Happy Turkey Day :)

Gene

Practically Family
Here's how you can get over your self conciousness, put a nice sized mirror by the door with your hat hanging next to it, that way you can take a look in the mirror to adjust the hat when you put it on, and when you do, say to yourself " your one good lookin' SOB :) " smile and head on out the door. After a week of doing this, you will KNOW it is so and you will ALWAYS put the hat on and face the world a COMPLETE man :)

I do this whenever I'm dressed vintage to the nines. And damned if it ain't true!

Duper

Practically Family
Here's how you can get over your self conciousness, put a nice sized mirror by the door with your hat hanging next to it, that way you can take a look in the mirror to adjust the hat when you put it on, and when you do, say to yourself " your one good lookin' SOB :) " smile and head on out the door. After a week of doing this, you will KNOW it is so and you will ALWAYS put the hat on and face the world a COMPLETE man :) It's a good looking hat, wear it and enjoy it and have a Happy Turkey Day :)

Nice looking hat. It will take a few times to feel totally comfortable, but that can quickly turn to the exact opposite where you feel uncomfortable without your hat. Start slowly if need be. Wear it to the mall, or walking the dog. Short trips out may help to resolve your trepidation.

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
I was kinda the same way when I picked up my Cavanagh, but the self consciousness went away with time. Now I also wear an Italian velour tan/brown with my leather, and just brush off the crazy "Indy" comments. LOL The trick is just making it part of you. Don't acknowledge the hat, but thank people when they compliment it, as any other piece of clothing.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
when I wear the fedora the rest of my clothes make me look wrong. Should I quit worrying and just wear the hat no matter what I'm wearing?
Try this: Wear a dress and a fedora out and about town.......next day lose the dress and wear your regular clothes.......the hat won't bother you any longer.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80