Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

pak

One of the Regulars
I've worn White's for about 40 years. I have visited Nick's shop. Nick's boots are every bit equal to White's. I would not have a problem getting a pair from Nick's. BTY, the wait time for boots this time of year is usually longer as the boot makers are getting orders from the wildland fire guys.

Last edited:

smoothsailor

One of the Regulars
Breton, on the midsoles, the naturals are not treated with a polish or something, so they stain easy. It looks good but not for to long I think. Unless it's possible to put some sort of clear varnish or polish on there.
Did u notice that under my half sole there is another layer of midsole, I ordered them with single midsole, and for some reason they put a double midsole only under the half sole part.

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
My Crockett and Jones boots. Veldtschoen construction. Scotch grain leather:

1944 G+J British army boots. Not mine alas.

Last edited:

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Hi folks,
I recently spotted a nice pair of round-toe block-heel non-laced mid-high boots in a local store specialized in - for the want of a better word - "cowboy"-stuff. They also sell leather-jackets and jeans, which are not that stellar, but the boots looked very nice indeed. Full leather-lined, leather outer, Goodyear-welted profile sole, the works. The company that makes them goes by the name of "Sendra", which I haven't heard before, they seem to be located in Spain (which would be good, lots of tradition in shoemaking there) and they seem to be affiliated with "Longhorns", at least that I red, which have been my "cowboy"-boots 30 years ago. Ah, sweet youth...
Anyway, what would be the optinon here regarding Sendra? Any good? I found some remarks in the respective threads which indicated at least that the boots are not total crap.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Red wing work chukkahs
IMG_3549.JPG

IMG_3550.JPG

IMG_3541.JPG

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Invested in a pair of Red Wing's Beckman Embossed Moc. Fantastic-looking boots, beautiful depth of colour, though the waxed laces make them hell to pull on at the moment. They did freak me out slightly when, having been very comfortable in the RW London shop, when I got home I found they were pinching a bit! But after 10 minutes wear, they did that Aero thing of relaxing and softening slightly and they're now comfortable as slippers, which is pretty damn good for a first wear! Anyway, here's the regulation pic:

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
The Iron Rangers are great, I love mine!
I tried on the Sendra-boots today, they were too small across the foot. I know they'ld relax some, some can be done by the cobbler, but I had the impression the last simply wasn't for my feet and, as I already have a few cupboard-queens, I left them in the shop. So it will be a pair of Beckmans this year, in cigar featherstone leather.

Blackadder

Invested in a pair of Red Wing's Beckman Embossed Moc. Fantastic-looking boots, beautiful depth of colour, though the waxed laces make them hell to pull on at the moment. They did freak me out slightly when, having been very comfortable in the RW London shop, when I got home I found they were pinching a bit! But after 10 minutes wear, they did that Aero thing of relaxing and softening slightly and they're now comfortable as slippers, which is pretty damn good for a first wear! Anyway, here's the regulation pic:

Nice boots. Only the plain toe Beckman is available over here.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Cheers! I almost went for the round-toed ones, mainly because they were £40 cheaper, but the fit wasn't as good. I don't think I'd buy RWs without trying them on in a shop though. The sizings seem to vary wildly. In the end, I dropped from a 7.5 to a 6.5 for the moc toed Beckmans, but the plain toed ones in the same size seemed to be a lot looser. On the basis of these boots, though, I'd certainly spring for another pair of RWs - maybe the engineers...

zhz

Practically Family
Sloan, the RW London shop you mentioned, where is it? Is it American Classics in Covent Garden?

Cheers! I almost went for the round-toed ones, mainly because they were £40 cheaper, but the fit wasn't as good. I don't think I'd buy RWs without trying them on in a shop though. The sizings seem to vary wildly. In the end, I dropped from a 7.5 to a 6.5 for the moc toed Beckmans, but the plain toed ones in the same size seemed to be a lot looser. On the basis of these boots, though, I'd certainly spring for another pair of RWs - maybe the engineers...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
No, it's literally the new Red Wing shop just off Carnaby Street: 17 Newburgh Street. It's on the same street as the LVC and Filson shops. They're nice guys, very 'Fedora Lounge' themselves, andvery patient when it comes to indecisive customers... :D

Blackadder

The RW Heritage generally comes in D width and the Moc Toe are considered wider than the round ones. I have tried a few different models and all of them are too narrow for me.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Really? Wow, because the round toed ones were way-wide. The variable fits mean it's a bit of a dice throw if you order on line, which is a bit frustrating as they're not widely available up here.

casechopper

My finding has been that moc toes are usually wider in the toe box than round toes. There are wider width heritage RW's out there and maybe you tried on one of these? One thing I have noticed is that the pointier toed pecos and work chukkah's I have are significantly tighter in the toe box. I normally wear a size 9.5 in RW's and the size 9.5 Pecos's that I have are very tight. I'm hoping they'll loosen up but if they don't I'll be putting them up for sale. The work chukkahs I ordered in a size 10 and they fit great but wouldn't have fit well in a size 9.5. On the other end of the spectrum the IR's that I have in 9.5 are almost loose. They fit good but are larger fitting than any of me other 9.5d work boots.

pak

One of the Regulars
I nominate the song 'Quality Shoe' by Mark Knopfler as the thread song. I do not know how to post links but give it a listen on youtube. Computer ignorance is probably a clue as to why I prefer quality handmade items such as leather jackets and custom footwear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart