Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I would place Alden at the top of the list for Worf, who lives in NY. Worf, next time you are in Manhattan, drop by the Alden store and check out the Alden Cordovan Chukka Boot or the Alden Indy Boot. I didn't realize Red Wings were now made in China. Mine were made in the USA but are several years old.

Ishmael

Practically Family
If you can make it to Manhattan, then you might also want to check out Leffot, Epaulet and also take a trip to Moulded Shoe. Moulded specializes in the Alden Modified last and quite a few people swear by it. I haven't owned any Modified shoes, but I once tried it on in my size and it felt fantastic.

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
I didn't realize Red Wings were now made in China. Mine were made in the USA but are several years old.

Not all of them. The upper tier Redwings are still made here. A common thing most of the boot manufacturers are doing is listing their products in three tiers:
1. imported
2. assembled in US of imported materials
3. made in the USA

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the love guys. I'll look into all of the above. I guess it's time to look beyond "shoe outlets" and the local Army Navy Store. You folks are "aces" in my book.

Worf

Graemsay

Practically Family
The Red Wing Heritage / Classic Work range is made in the US. I've got a pair of the Beckmans in Black Cherry, and they feel pretty solid.

Whites, Wesco and Viberg offer similar boots to Red Wing, but made to a much higher standard, and often with a correspondingly higher price tag. A semi-custom pair of Whites from Baker Shoe will run to $400 to $500, more if you get into exotic leathers. Vibergs are around $600 to $650 for a custom pair.

Danner do more contemporary boots, whereas Quoddy, Russell and Rancourt sell moccasins.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Boots such as those made by Alden, White's and Wesco typically run in the $400+ range. For boots with materials sourced and made in the USA, the next tier down price-wise includes options such as Wolverine's 1000 Mile Boot Collection and Red Wing's Beckman/Gentleman Traveler. These are of the dressier "work boot style" (I just think of them as simply nice boots that are well made).

For a true work boot, the boot mentioned in the original post appears to be a great buy.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I spent so long putting my post together that Graemsay beat me to the punch. Lots of options out there when it comes to boots.

While not of the same vein as the work style boots being discussed, when it comes to hand-sewn shoes and boots, Rancourt is hard to beat. They formerly made shoes exclusively for other brands (Allen Edmonds, Eastland, Ralph Lauren, Timberland, etc.). And while most of their business still comes from manufacturing for other brands, they started their own brand a few years ago (great story, great product). Every pair of shoes and boots from Rancourt is made to order with a very short turnaround time (2-3 weeks). The products featured on their website is just a starting point. They'll make just about anything you want from the materials they have on hand. Salt-of-the-earth people and a quality, old school product.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Boots such as those made by Alden, White's and Wesco typically run in the $400+ range. For boots with materials sourced and made in the USA, the next tier down price-wise includes options such as Wolverine's 1000 Mile Boot Collection and Red Wing's Beckman/Gentleman Traveler. These are of the dressier "work boot style" (I just think of them as simply nice boots that are well made).

For a true work boot, the boot mentioned in the original post appears to be a great buy.

Okay, I get my "work" work boots (steel toes and flame retardent clothing etc)provided by my employer, these boots or halfboots would be something to wear with my custom leather coats in the office and around town, not for mucking about in the mud. "Work Boot Stylee" as you put it. Thanks for the information and clarification.

PS the Rancorts look REALLY interesting and they're close. I also dig their sizing method. They're at the top of the list right now.

Worf

Last edited:

thor

One Too Many
And there's also the Thoroughgood Boerum Hill work boot made of horsehide. They retail about $200 and look great!

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
PS the Rancorts look REALLY interesting and they're close. I also dig their sizing method. They're at the top of the list right now.

I really can't say enough good things about them. I stopped by their factory in 2011 and was able to meet the father and son team who head up things there. Really a top-notch operation all around.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I really can't say enough good things about them. I stopped by their factory in 2011 and was able to meet the father and son team who head up things there. Really a top-notch operation all around.

:arated: I agree that Rancourts does look interesting. I suspect that Worf's feet are as wide as mine (13AA) are narrow, and Rancourts appears to carry Alden in EE widths but not AA, which are invariably special order for me in almost any style.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
:arated: I agree that Rancourts does look interesting. I suspect that Worf's feet are as wide as mine (13AA) are narrow, and Rancourts appears to carry Alden in EE widths but not AA, which are invariably special order for me in almost any style.

How'd you know? I've got "gorilla feet" (all puns intended) wide with a high arch. I've worn boxes instead of shoes many a year soooo I just can't buy anything off'n the rack. I do wish I had thumbs on my feet though, would come in mighty handy!

Worf

Fanch

I'll Lock Up

TallCrownDave

New in Town
Just picked up my Iron Rangers today from a local Red wing store. They had to order them as they don't stock the heritage collection. I am very impressed with them. It is a beautiful pair of boots... I normally wear 91/2 and they ordered 9s and 81/2. The 9s are perfect and comfortable straight out of the box. I highly recommend these.

Dave

f792a21b9da504715f0d24a63d80cb45.jpg

thor

One Too Many
I just received my Wolverine plainsman boots, Size 11 wide. Perfect fit and look amazing. Already breaking in comfortably after only a couple of times worn. Thick, rugged leather, heavy-duty shoelace eyelets and speed hooks, vibram soles, an all-around great boot!

Edward

Bartender
I have a pair on the way... Will be my second pair of RedWings. I have a pair of the basic RedWing boots with the white stitching (on black) already, which I got "cheap" on eBay last year. They're sitting aside for the season now, as probably will the IRs, but I got a good deal on a brown pair. Hoping that they will be fine size. wise... We'll see. Was thinknig of hitting them up with a coat of.... something, Pecards, maybe?.... when they arrive...

willyk57

New in Town
Red Wing Boots

Red Wing Shoe Company has had a significant presence in the U.S. footwear industry for well over a century and they continue to produce a high quality product while providing what I have experienced to be excellent service. Although they do produce a portion of there line overseas there are plenty of U.S. Made boot to choose from, and from the looking I have been doing, most the boots that will appeal to Lounge members are U.S. Made.

Given the price, quality and style Some of Red Wing's boots there must be numerous Lounge members wearing them around, so post they up. I see no reason why a Red Wing Boot thread can't stay on the top two or three pages. I personally own four pair, the oldest being three year old, and just buying the newest yesterday. So with out further adieu...

Lets keep it up,
Willyk57

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner