Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
I have Viberg boots, four pairs of Wescos, and a pair of White's dress toe boots. I also have a pair of Allen Edmonds dress boots.
I think what you are looking for is something like the Allen Edmonds. The Whites would do, too, but they are real boots - a lot
heavier than what that guy has on in the movie. I have the Dalton Wingtip Dress Boots. You might prefer the Promontory Point boots.
Have a look on their site. I don't fit in the Wolverines (not wide enough), so I can't speak to them, but they are popular. BTW, Allen Edmonds
has both of those boots on sale right now: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/cati2_Sale_1_40000000001_-1_______132809_subcategory?

Thanks, investigating!

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
FWIW I don't care for the squared off, thin wrinkly toe on that Gosling boot at all, but if that's what you're looking for you haven't received a single recommendation yet. Most everything mentioned so far has a very rounded toe, and Frye harness boots have a very defined square toe.

I'm not fixated on that particular style, but in the movie he wears it well with a 3 piece suit as well as jeans and a shirt. I want something equally versatile.

mattface

Practically Family
Take a look in the classifieds, a pair of black wolverine 1000 mile boots posted for $150, (not mine) size 10.5

That's a nice pair of 1000 miles, but thats a lot for a pair with that much wear on them, and the seller didn't mention the obvious resole, which I guess might be an advantage to some. I just got a pair of factory seconds in brown from STP for the same price. You've got to wait for them to come around, and be ready to jump with a coupon code when they show up in your size, but the Factory seconds on Sierra Trading Post are a really nice deal.

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the link. It seems to be very hard to find a dress boot that is also waterproof, might have to drop that requirement or stick with the magnums.

Or get a boot that you like and use dubbin. Sure you won't be able to run around in a river wearing them but it'll waterproof them enough for most conditions. Used to use it all the times on rugby boots and worked a treat.

And I'll put in a plug for RM Williams boots. Chelsea boot style and brilliant, you can wear them with everything from a suit to a pair of jeans. And they last forever.

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
Or get a boot that you like and use dubbin. Sure you won't be able to run around in a river wearing them but it'll waterproof them enough for most conditions. Used to use it all the times on rugby boots and worked a treat.

And I'll put in a plug for RM Williams boots. Chelsea boot style and brilliant, you can wear them with everything from a suit to a pair of jeans. And they last forever.

I'm not so worried about leather damage, as my socks getting wet and freezing for the rest of the day. Some boots I've had the water just seems to seep in through shoelace holes, or perforated holes on the toe or..wherever.

kyboots

Practically Family
Everyone continues to have their brand and why not! I sure don't like the Gosling boot either. Being a Frye man from the 1970's I love those boots but not the same as they use to be ( still nice boots however and high on my list ). Wesco is my brand now but unless you want an engineer I can't think of a Wesco I would wear that way. Breton is sugesting Viberg and they sure are nice boots but expensive. The Allen Edmonds may be your best choice for what I think you want or a Viberg ( but they are real boots and look it ). If I were 25 now I would venture with a short brown Frye engineer ( nine inch ) with a suit, or a lace Viberg/Allen Edmonds, a lace RRL would be sharp with a suit, or even an engineer look zip boot. Many to choose from; whatever floats your boat. Good luck! Send us picture of your choice when wearing them.

pipvh

Practically Family
I would trawl ebay for a classic English boot - Loake, Church's, Cheaney etc all make or have made exactly what you're looking for. Other than that, Red Wing Iron Rangers or Beckman 9014s look close. It's worth lashing out on something decent - I'm still rocking a pair of Trickers veldschoen boots that I bought in 1995 as my daily footwear.

Meerkat

Familiar Face
I hope God forgives whoever made that film..Gosling is getting away with minimalist scripts....anyway the outfield option... a pair of Sneekers from Altberg.com

technovox

One Too Many
Everyone continues to have their brand and why not! I sure don't like the Gosling boot either. Being a Frye man from the 1970's I love those boots but not the same as they use to be ( still nice boots however and high on my list ).

Great thread! I've been looking at the Frye selection- and considering purchasing some engineer boots- in a lower ankle boot style. I just wish the Frye Boots were still made in America.

Great thread! I've been looking at the Frye selection- and considering purchasing some engineer boots- in a lower ankle boot style. I just wish the Frye Boots were still made in America.

Geez!! When did Frye go off shore? It had to be fairly recently. I have a pair of engineer boots I got about two years ago that are U.S. made. Very comfortable boots.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

mattface

Practically Family
I'm not sure what has changed with Frye in recent years, but I feel like they are less quality and more fashion than they were as little as 10 years ago. Most of the new Frye I've seen recently seem like Timberland under a different name.

ins0ma

New in Town
Look into Ecco. They make good-quality, very comfortable footwear, quite stylish as well. I've had several different styles of Eccos and been very happy with them all. Their Birmingham Boot looks right up your alley, Gore Tex waterproofing and everything:

http://us.shop.ecco.com/ECCO-Birmingham-GTX-Boot/631054,default,pd.html?dwvar_631054_color=11001#cgid=men-boots

01.jpg

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Geez!! When did Frye go off shore? It had to be fairly recently. I have a pair of engineer boots I got about two years ago that are U.S. made. Very comfortable boots.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
Some of the boots e.g. the basic harness models and the western boots are no longer made in USA. Other collections like the Arkansas still are. You can check their official website to see which are still made in the States.
Just got this pair of Lone Wolf yesterday.
WP_000844.jpg WP_000842.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot