Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Female Crooners

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
I gotta put my vote in for Dinah Shore. As a kid, I remember my grandmother watching her TV show; I had no idea until years later that she was a singer. Her version of "You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To" is one of my favorite recordings of all time.
Not to mention that she had Iggy Pop on her show- pretty cool for the time...

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
K.D. Lightner said:
I knew she was versatile, but did not realize she remains unequaled as the only entertainer who was not only a dancer and big band singer, but a pop singer with many hit songs on radio and recordings, movies (musicals, comedies and a few dramatic roles). The only thing she didn't do was live theatre.

I don't know, K.D. -- Judy Garland comes pretty close to matching those accomplishments. She may not have been the featured singer for a big band, but she sang with big bands on any number of occasions. I think she was certainly every bit as accomplished and versatile as Doris Day, whom I also like.

One singer you guys must check out -- I mention her whenever this type of thread appears, but it seems I might be the only fan of hers in this community: Jeri Southern. She performed in the Fifties (perhaps into the early Sixties), and was just wonderful. A very simple style, very straightforward and heartfelt. Her voice has a slightly smoky quality to it.

Her performance of Cole Porter's "Every Time You Say Goodbye" is simply unmatched. It's gorgeous and heartbreaking.

There are several of her albums in print, but the greatest hits compilation that came out a few years back is a terrific collection, if one wanted to check her out.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Patti Page - Possibly my all time favorite.
Jo Stafford
Peggy Lee
Connie Francis (I know, a bit young;) )

I can see they've already been mentioned. I've just put a CD order in with my dad to go on a hunt for the above artists to find the songs I don't already have with them. I had tapes (you do remember what they are right?) with them all but I've not got around to buying CDs with them all.

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
They're all so wonderful! I like the Boswell Sisters, Ella Fitzgerald, Vera Lynn, Lena Horne, and Jo Stafford. There are more, of course, but these come to mind.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am currently enthralled with Valaida Snow!
valaida37-thumb-165x230.jpg

vsnow3.jpg

spaceball.gif

She was a singer, songwriter, trumpet player (known as the Little Louis Armstrong, and plays with his huge sound) and bandleader. American, but made her fame in Europe in the 30s. The Queen of Holland presented her with a solid gold trumpet.
She had style - she used to go about in her lavender Mercedes convertible, with driver in lavender livery, her own matching outfit, and of course, her pet monkey in matching livery. Hot damn.
While in Denmark, the Nazis invaded, put her in camp for being mixed race, then kept her there when America entered the war, as she was an enemy combatant. Her health was ruined, and when released from the camp at the end of the war, she was told she would die if she tried to go back to performing. So she did, and she did die, but doing what she loved.
She has a sweet, strong voice, with excellent phrasing, wonderful playfulness, perfect pitch, great diction, and she's sexy!
And no one ever heard of her... there is a double CD of her recordings out now, so worth the listening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24