Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Expedient Modifications

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
At times we have all had to make things work under less than ideal conditions and experienced mixed results.

I would like to see what you have done - good bad and ugly to make your hats function in given situations.

I will start with my own BlueGrass Green CampDraft. We were planning a ride to the bottom of Bryce Canyon when the ride operator declared my CampDraft to have a wide brim so I needed a strap to keep it in place. (Actually a pretty reasonable expectation given the tight paths and circumstances.) My wind trolley had come loose in a strong wind at an airport years prior so that was no help. Having some time before the ride, I decided to make a strap rather than leave the hat behind. Bought a sunglasses strap for about $2 and reshaped a paperclip to slip inside the sweat for a loop to attach the strap.

IMG_0021 E15.jpg IMG_0022 E15.jpg
Bent one side and left one side straight to ease it going between the stitches and sweat band. Top one shows final shape and the bottom shows how it should look as you slip it into place. Get behind the sweat to make the second bend after securing the loop through the eye of the sunglasses strap.
IMG_0023 E15.jpg

Worked well enough to get through the ride and several months since.

IMG_20170930_0002 crop share.jpg

Although my well-fitted CampDraft never actually came off, it was a good preventive measure. Thinking of installing a better strap system similar to those on Tilley hats. But that is a project for another day.

Your turn!

Fed

RJR

At times we have all had to make things work under less than ideal conditions and experienced mixed results.

I would like to see what you have done - good bad and ugly to make your hats function in given situations.

I will start with my own BlueGrass Green CampDraft. We were planning a ride to the bottom of Bryce Canyon when the ride operator declared my CampDraft to have a wide brim so I needed a strap to keep it in place. (Actually a pretty reasonable expectation given the tight paths and circumstances.) My wind trolley had come loose in a strong wind at an airport years prior so that was no help. Having some time before the ride, I decided to make a strap rather than leave the hat behind. Bought a sunglasses strap for about $2 and reshaped a paperclip to slip inside the sweat for a loop to attach the strap.

View attachment 97577 View attachment 97578
Bent one side and left one side straight to ease it going between the stitches and sweat band. Top one shows final shape and the bottom shows how it should look as you slip it into place. Get behind the sweat to make the second bend after securing the loop through the eye of the sunglasses strap.
View attachment 97579

Worked well enough to get through the ride and several months since.

View attachment 97599

Although my well-fitted CampDraft never actually came off, it was a good preventive measure. Thinking of installing a better strap system similar to those on Tilley hats. But that is a project for another day.

Your turn!

Fed
Well done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21