Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fighting the "Indy" look!

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
I own a brown fedora for two days and I/M already fed up with the Indy look. Even my 4 year old tells me I look like "Inderamma Jones".

I'm thinking a bound edge and maybe a different colored ribbon...

Any advice??

Lt. brown ribbon?
Black ribbon???

Anyone have any pics for hats that might give me an idea??

Thanks again everyone!

Brody

android

One of the Regulars
Any brown hat is an Indy Hat. You just have to accept that and move on.

I've got a low, teardrop crown brown fedora and every time I wear it, somebody at work says something about Indiana Jones.

I'm actually going to get the jacket and shirt and when somebody mentions the resemblance, just totally deny it like they have gone mad. Should be fun.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Different color...

I don't wear brown much any more. My standard color is gray. Gray Biltmore 2 5/8 inch brim bound with the same color binding as the ribbon. Narrow ribbon like on a Stratoliner or Open Road. Teardrop crown. I wear that for work or dress. My brown hat is a Peters Bros. I don't wear much except with my brown herringbone suit jacket. I have another brown on order from Camptown, however, so I think one does need a brown hat.

I get the ocassional Indy comment, but gray is the color for me. Not brown. I can even get away from a fedora when dressing up. When I wear my gray herringbone suitcoat I can wear my gray herringbone 8/4 cap. Don't get me wrong, I love my fedoras, but for years I underestimated the Newsboy/Gatsby Cap. Caps are way more versitile than felt hats. I do think one needs to have a little more self confidence to wear an eight panel than a fedora though. Me, I can do it 'cause I really don't care what folks think of the way I dress.

shamus

Suspended
I wear a daily desert camo boonie hat with jeans and a leather half-belt and people say, "Hi Indy" to me!

It's not even just a brown hat, if you wear a hat, except a cowboy hat your Indy...

Maybe try a Brown short brim hat from the 50's.... Then you might only get a, "Hi Frank? Where's Dean?"

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I've never gotten the "Indy" comment, even with brown hats. When I'm out shopping, wearing my usual suit and fedora, young kids will invariably say, "Cowboy!" You'd think, this being cowboy hat country, that kids would be used to hats by now and wouldn't think anything of it.

Brad

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Oh, you are right guys...

Fedoras do make the statement, but 'round here not even golfers wear Newsboys. For me, it took longer to work up to the eight panel than it did the fedora. I had to "get my mind right", so to speak. I just think the Apple Cap is underrated. It's correct to the time frame we are in love with and it is an alternative to the fedora. And, to me anyway, much more versatile. It can be worn with anything, dress, work, or play.

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
Agreed, tha Gatsby caps are more versatile, even though they are not quite as dashing. What I like most about a newsboy is how easy it is to stow it when you need to take it off. Just stuff it in a coat sleeve or pocket... or even sit on it. It's nice not to have to figure out what to do with your hat when you need to take it off. Also, I still wear jeans quite often, and I find that the newsboy caps go a lot better with the "dressed down" look than do the fedoras.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
A good cap...

Here in Wisconsin, (especially during the winter,) I always preferred a good Apple cap. Coarse I think it's easier for a young guy to pull off the "young scrapper" look, than sport a fedora. Like Guybrush said, jeans and t-shirt will mix well.

But now that I'm not so young anymore, I wouldn't mind sporting a good fedora. That is as long as the frozen tundra dosn't ruin it.

What do you fellas prefer, the bigapple (wider crown)or the beretta? Snap or no snap?

Brody

hatflick1

Practically Family
INDY LOOK...COMMENTS OF DOOM

I often sport fedoras around L.A. Never got the 'Indiana Jones' comment. But a guy at a newstand asked if I was supposed to be... 'Little House On The Prairie'? Huh? And I was wearing an old favorite Borsalino with a C crown. Maybe the Lounge needs a T-Shirt which reads: Stamp Out Hat Ignorance. Perhaps a telethon to support the cause?

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
I luv the telethon idea!!

We could also pull a ghostbusters and everytime people give the wrong answer, (say "Indy") we zap em with a couple watts of juice!..... Did I say that out loud??? I meant that we would politely correct them and thank them for their admiration.

Brody

G MAN

One of the Regulars
I also get that "Indy" comment when I wear my brown fedora, but then again it does look like that, but I also get the comment when I wear my other hats, regardless of the colour, I think you will still hear the "Indy" comment no matter what, it's just that strong of an image. In the end, nobody ever said it as an insult. I wear my hats for myself and if I like a hat I'll wear it with pride no matter what comment is made from strangers, friends, or my wife . ;)

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I have several B! Wear Cap Co. caps

Bretts caps apear to be the right size for me. Not to big and blousy and not to small. I have been known to wear Ivy Caps, but they don't seem to be 'right' to me anymore. To much bill, or something. I have some with snaps, some sans snaps, I prefer no snaps, even though I wear the cap pulled forward in the traditional manner. Im wearing an 8/4 today while I train dogs, clean kennels, and so forth, with khakis and chambray shirt. It's a nifty little number I got from Brett, undyed demim, kinda khaki cream colored. I love the leather sweatband that B! Wears come with. This one has a snap. My Herringbone does not. My next is going to be a brown herringbone with no snap.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
We named the dog....

You see, boys, that's why I wear a grey fedora with brown clothes.
But then, when I last wore it with my khaki trousers and musette bag, someone still said I looked like Indiana. Maybe the shock.. I mean politely correcting is the way to go.
Then again check another thread to see all the variations we get from people that don't know what to make of a fedora on a person:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=1745&highlight=dick+tracy

Sincerely,
The Wolf

hatflick1

Practically Family
INDY LOOK - GENDER BENDER

Forgot to mention, I picked up a vintage fedora for my girlfriend. Great old high crown number. When she wears it she gets no funny 'Annie Hall' comments or lingering stares. Conversely women approach her all the time and ask where she got the great hat. Could the fedora on the male stir a macho challenge to the guy with the cap on backwards? Hmm...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran