Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Film Noir Classics Collection Box Sets

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
A big DVD sale at Amazon/Borders finally moved me to use the gift card I got for Christmas. So i ordered the first two sets in the series.

51DzFR6-MXL._SS500_.jpg
Film Noir Classics Volume 1

617DQQ6YWDL._SS500_.jpg
Film Noir Classics Volume 2.

Anyone have these? I'm anxious to get them in hand (shipping in April).

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
You'll love them. The second set is the weakest of the four that have been put out, but that doesn't make it bad by any stretch.

Please let us know what you think as you work through them.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
It isn't really noir but Charlie Chan!!!

I don't know how we got started but Friday evenings with Pizza and Charlie Chan- The first good set was Chantology then "The Charlie Chan collection" Vol thru set 4 I think. I've seen them at Costco and Sams and almost everywhere else that sells sets.

On the Noir sets: They are good if you don't have a great tv/set-up. For video nuts, look for the restored versions. Of course, some of these are truly B fare and not likely to ever be restored so the sets are great! :cheers1:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
All the movies in the first set are great, Scott, but THE SET-UP is really an under-appreciated classic. OUT OF THE PAST is in my noir top five, but its reputation is more in line with what it should be. Dick Powell makes a pretty fine Philip Marlowe in MURDER, MY SWEET. GUN CRAZY is campy fun -- I've seen that one a dozen times, easy.

Caroline

One of the Regulars
Great Purchases!

I have Volume 1 and watch it all the time. I NEED Volume 2. Born to Kill is one of my absolute favorite films. I keep meaning to put Laurence Tierney on the "Handsome Fellas" thread!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Caroline said:
I have Volume 1 and watch it all the time. I NEED Volume 2. Born to Kill is one of my absolute favorite films. I keep meaning to put Laurence Tierney on the "Handsome Fellas" thread!

You'll love vol 2, it also has Dillinger, with Tierney. You might also post him in the "Scary Fellas" thread if such a thing exists.

180px-Ltierney2.JPG

drjones

A-List Customer
film noir

I love love loveeeee film noir. Im surprised this one slipped past my radar. Must be that damned foil coating. :)

thanks for putting this up!

DRJONES

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
mtechthang said:
I don't know how we got started but Friday evenings with Pizza and Charlie Chan- The first good set was Chantology then "The Charlie Chan collection" Vol thru set 4 I think. I've seen them at Costco and Sams and almost everywhere else that sells sets.

On the Noir sets: They are good if you don't have a great tv/set-up. For video nuts, look for the restored versions. Of course, some of these are truly B fare and not likely to ever be restored so the sets are great! :cheers1:

They look good. Restoration has clearly been undertaken to some degree. There is a problem with Decoy, which is in the third or fourth set - there is a gratuitous edit, perhaps a bit of censorship in the print they used. Jean Gillie only runs him over once in the squash-a-guy scene! I mean, come on!

Caroline

One of the Regulars
jake_fink said:
You'll love vol 2, it also has Dillinger, with Tierney. You might also post him in the "Scary Fellas" thread if such a thing exists.

180px-Ltierney2.JPG

I'd never post him in a "Scary Fellas" thread! I love that scene the photo is from...

"You know how to handle that situation. Just *edited* your pants, dive in and swim"

...or something to that effect.lol

Doh!

One Too Many
I received Vol. I for Christmas and Vol. II for my birthday, and just this very evening watched Crossfire. The script has some issues, but it shore looks purty!

You'll enjoy both sets, I'm sure.

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
It's the little things that make me cry.
We can't watch this in the uk,as the collections are region 1.but i have found a smaller film noir collection for region 2 players.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Film-Noir-C...ef=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1206637839&sr=1-7

The above collection contains 9 discs,and the films are:
1: the killers ( 1946 )
2: double indemnity
3: the big steal
4: crossfire
5: out of the past
6: the blue dahlia
7: the glass key
8: this gun for hire
9: farewell my lovely

It is called: film noir collection,and costs about £30.00

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Thanks- And gooder news!

jake_fink said:
They look good. Restoration has clearly been undertaken to some degree. There is a problem with Decoy, which is in the third or fourth set - there is a gratuitous edit, perhaps a bit of censorship in the print they used. Jean Gillie only runs him over once in the squash-a-guy scene! I mean, come on!

;) Serious and deep thanks for the heads-up re these being restored. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap (Course, my spouse may not agree because I just found out they have them at members-walmart!) :eusa_doh:

I also noticed that they have a new (to me) set called "Gangsters" that looked pretty good- a couple of the titles looked pretty mainstream Noir to me! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
This was SUCH a smart purchase. :)

The Asphalt Jungle
-- Worth getting the Vol 1 set on its own. A great film I'd never seen. Marilyn was so young there, and already you can't take your eyes off her. I'll never be able to say "Yipes!" without thinking of her again. My favorite performance was Louis Calhern. He was perfectly cast, and carried the role off about flawlessly.

Gun Crazy -- Not so much.

Murder, My Sweet -- Dick Powell was a revelation. I would never have thought to cast him as Marlowe, but he was amazing. Bogart made the part Bogartian, but Powell was the character as written, I think. Great stuff. It was a courageous performance that brought to the character, and the film, exactly the right notes.

Out of the Past -- I saw the end of this years ago on TCM. The whole film is wonderful. Mitchum is really fine, but I also see Jim Lileks' point: Mitchum seems like the actual shooting of the film is just an amusing prelude to the killer wrap party later. Which means he's enjoying all the camp as much as we are. Loved it!

Six more films to go!! :)

Edit:

The Set-Up -- Not so much.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You may also wish to look into getting the Dark Crimes box set on Amazon. It's un-remastered, and some of the films are not great, but it has 50 films and it's 20 bucks so you cannot go wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner