Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson's Tin Cloth Owners, I have a Question

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Precisely why oil cloth may not be your thing. Maybe try a Belstaff?

Why bother replying just to be antagonistic? I mean what's the point, do you just enjoy a daily confrontation? I get your point, I'm not "rugged enough" like you to handle the moist greasy jacket, you made that point already in your previous sarcastic post. I hunt, hike, and camp, I live in the country, yet am still pretty put off by a moist jacket that smells a bit of kerosene, call me crazy...

But I'm also not a mall walker obsessing over $1000 jackets, so I like to use expensive gear for more than one singular purpose, so that's probably where we differ.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I would not be too quick to get rid of the jacket. My experience is that the wax dries over several weeks/months and loses most of the oily feel. I have a couple of other Filson waxed cotton jackets in lighter weight cotton, but my Filson Levis Truckers waxed tin cloth jacket is by far my favorite. The most versatile though IMO is the Oil Finish Tin Jacket that will accept zip in liners and comes in regular and tall sizes. Filson's sizing in general is somewhat quirky and best to try on everything that you think that you might buy someday at the Filson store near downtown Seattle.

TM

A-List Customer
I wasn't aware it was actually wet and oily to the touch and the oil seeps onto clothes beneath. I assumed it was more a waxed cotton where the finish is dry to the touch.

Well, the Tin Cloth is called "oil finished", not "waxed" on their website. Maybe that should have been a clue.

Really, if you are unhappy with it, and the tags are still on it, why not just return it instead of complaining about it?

Filson's return policy is: "If you are not satisfied with one of our products at the time you receive it, or if one of our products does not perform to your satisfaction, you may return it to us for a repair, replacement or refund. Damage due to wear and tear will be repaired at a reasonable charge."

I'm satisfied with mine.

Tony

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Really, if you are unhappy with it, and the tags are still on it, why not just return it instead of complaining about it?

Simple, to warn the next guy since basically no one on the internet has yet... I'm amazed how fanboys of certain companies can get so personal about these poor reviews of products.

I don't think most people expect a wet to touch greasy coat no matter what the finish is called, that wasn't clear to me in any reviews or descriptions I read.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Well, the Tin Cloth is called "oil finished", not "waxed" on their website. Maybe that should have been a clue.

I'm satisfied with mine.

Tony

The correct terminology is "Filson's Original Oil Finish Wax" that is sold by Filson in a 3 3/4 oz. can with green top.

I am also satisfied with three my Filson jackets, five Filson hats, two Filson vests, etc.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Why bother replying just to be antagonistic? I mean what's the point, do you just enjoy a daily confrontation? I get your point, I'm not "rugged enough" like you to handle the moist greasy jacket, you made that point already in your previous sarcastic post. I hunt, hike, and camp, I live in the country, yet am still pretty put off by a moist jacket that smells a bit of kerosene, call me crazy...

But I'm also not a mall walker obsessing over $1000 jackets, so I like to use expensive gear for more than one singular purpose, so that's probably where we differ.

Good for you - I don't hike, camp or go to the country, I don't enjoy the outdoors. I was being practical but you're obviously a sensitive fellow. I had a tin cloth (til some arse stole it) and I have a Drizabone and a Belstaff Che jacket. The Belstaff is less oily and may suit your needs better.

Last edited:

Todd V

Familiar Face
Ok, first you asked a question. I'll remind you:

What were the results, also does the finish and oil kind of wear in and give the appearance of a normal coat after a bit?

Then, you call us fanboys for conceeding that, indeed, the coats start very waxy to the touch then will give the appearance of a normal coat after a bit.

Simple, to warn the next guy since basically no one on the internet has yet... I'm amazed how fanboys of certain companies can get so personal about these poor reviews of products.

I don't think most people expect a wet to touch greasy coat no matter what the finish is called, that wasn't clear to me in any reviews or descriptions I read.

I really do not think your original post was a "warning." It was a question. I also don't think anyone was making it personal.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Well, I think that we all wear what we like and sell what we don't, or stuff it is a closet or drawer. My experience is that all of my Filson's oil finish jackets have definitely kind of worn in and now give the appearance more or less of a normal coat. Otherwise my Filson oil finish products would be stored in my garage rather than my closet.

BobJ

Practically Family
There is a less drastic solution than popping the whole jacket in the washer and removing all the wax/oil. You can get a bucket of hot soapy water and a sponge, like you'd use to wash your car, and wash the outside of your jacket to tone down the oilyness. If the jacket is unlined, and oily on the inside, you can turn it inside out and wash that side as well. This way you can control how much oil you take out and leave in.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
How are the Wool liners that Filson uses? Are they noticeably warm?

The vest liners made of 24-oz. 100% virgin Mackinaw Wool are very warm. The lighter vest liners made of moleskin are suitable for less cold climates, such as much of Texas.

I would recommend not machine washing and drying any oil skin Filson, primarily because of shrinkage. All of my Filson oil skin jackets and hats have lost virtually all of the oily texture, even my tin cloth jacket and hat. My advice is patience and not try any creative solution that will likely give you unintended consequences.

Last edited:

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
I decided to de-oil this thing, if I need real water protection I'll grab my MTN hardware gear or hunting gore-tex (from my military days I didn't buy it but it works great) gear which is 10 X's lighter and 100% waterproof.

My first attempt was a hot water wash in the machine which was a disaster, the oil was everywhere and it half dried to a leopard finish, half oiled half not coated in a greasy mess (don't try this, it's a pointless endeavor). I then took some Dawn dish soap and a scrub brush and went to work. I figure if it's good to get crude oil off Pelicans it's good to get oil off a cotton jacket. It seems to have worked like a charm but I am running it through the machine in cold water and we'll see, I may need one more Dawn scrub to get the residual.

There will be shrinkage but luckily Filson's sizes their stuff pretty weird, their size Large was listed as a 44 but I would say it was actually between a 46-48, the arms were HUGE and long, I lift so I don't have little buggy whips either, you would need like 30 inch biceps to fill this thing out. So a bit of shrinkage will only help the fit.

IXL

One Too Many
How are the Wool liners that Filson uses? Are they noticeably warm?

I have a Shelter Cloth Outfitter coat with the heavyweight wool liner. This is my "go to" coat for what we call cold weather around here, teens-to-twenties or so, unless I need to look spiffy.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I have my eye on this one, but am not looking for anything exceptionally warm.
http://www.filson.com/products/dry-...sProduct=mens/coats-jackets&fmetaProduct=1011

A couple of things come to mind. If you insist on a dry finish jacket, consider the DRY FINISH TIN CLOTH RANCH JACKET - UNLINED

http://www.filson.com/products/dry-...sProduct=mens/coats-jackets&fmetaProduct=1011

I recently acquired a Filson Levis OIL FINISH TRUCKER JACKET that was somewhat oily when I first got it but has lost virtually all of the oiliness. It fits small though. I generally wear a 42-44 long and ordered a XL, and this jacket is almost too tight.

http://www.filson.com/products/oil-...roduct=event/levis-workwear&fmetaProduct=ev20

2012-10-06094308.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner