Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Final bash on my new Fed Dlx

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
I finally finished (after a few days of evolution) my very first 'home-made' bash job on the Federation Deluxe I've been bragging up all over the place! I wanted the Indy/Raiders crown and front pinch, but wanted to simultaneously keep the snap brim of a regular fedora (though I did lessen the 'snap' a bit). I stuck the hat over the tea kettle, rotating first around the base of the crown, then along the lines where I wanted my tight pinches, and finally along the center dent to get it straightened out and even. Once the crown was done, I allowed it to cool for about an hour or so (I was using minimal steam, so it didn't take that long to dry and stiffen) and steamed the brim all the way 'round. I took some of the curl out of the back, and smoothed the transition to the front, trying to flatten the front a little bit as I went. Another hour to cool, and VOILA!!! Here are the pics of my first masterpiece (not to brag or anything:D ).

2112243386_4ef1b60fde.jpg

2111465021_02311055c6.jpg

2112243022_d990b171c5.jpg

2112242838_165a989861.jpg

2112242912_2dff829ee8.jpg

2112243116_1fa5186d6d.jpg

So, what do you guys (and gals) think?

Regards, Andy

carter

I'll Lock Up
Wish I could see it.

All the photo blokcks read:

This Photo Is Currently Unavailable

NOW I CAN SEE THEM!

Very Nice job! That looks EXCELLENT!

Boris K

One of the Regulars

carter said:
Wish I could see it.

All the photo blokcks read:

This Photo Is Currently Unavailable

May have had too many hits today... [huh]

Ahh or maybe not ;)

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
Hang on, might have made a boo-boo on flickr...

Ok, they're back up. I deleted the wrong stuff out of my Flickr account, and had re-load all my pics!

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
1957, eh? That's a nice vintage digital camera you've got lol

Even before I read the message, I saw the pics, and thought to myself, "Great Raiders bash!" And then I read that that's what you were going for. Excellent job! :eusa_clap Heck, bash aside, it's just plain a great lid.

I've gotta get me one of these Akubras all the cool kids are talking about... :cool:

-Tofu

(EDIT: egads, I tend to use way too many smilies...)

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
Thanks, gents, thanks very much! One of these days I'll update my camera, but the 1957 model was just unbeatable back in the day, and I can't bear to part with it!:rolleyes: I think my boy dropped on the floor one too many times; the screen no longer works, so I have no idea how to reset the date and time. I suppose I'll just wind up with a great colection of 'vintage' digital photos, huh?

Regards, Andy

PS: Admiral, where abouts in Maine are you from? I grew up in Caribou...

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Hello there, fellow Mainer!

I'm originally from the Rockland/Thomaston area. Greatest place in the world. Hope to go back one day. :)

-Tofu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW