Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finding Period Old Clothing In Australia Is Impossible

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
I have just secured a bespoke 1940 3 piece dark blue DB pinstripe suit with original braces off an Australian ebayer slightly to big for me I might add, well at least in the pants waist, the jacket and waistcoat will be fine.

I am looking forward to seeing just how good the suit looks in terms of quality, I have also just had another one made by Timely Clothes turn up at the post office I purchased off Etsy a couple of weeks ago will pick it up in the morning and upload some pictures, it will be nice to compare the two.

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
I agree with you R&B Man, mens clothing in Australia changed most during the late 60's/70's. I have photographs of my (male) relatives from the 1910's to now & the real change in everyday wear happened from the very late 60's onwards. Before then even if they were dressed casually (postwar photos) they still wore a nice pair of trousers & a collared short sleeved shirt, from about 68 onwards you see jeans and t shirts on the younger members of the family.

I know what you mean, Can you imagine teenagers today wearing dress pants and ironed shirts.

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
You can say it. I contribute meaningless rabble :p

This suit that you speak of sounds interesting. Waistlines on pants can be taken in by a competent tailor, so I shouldn't worry.

Shangas will be great if they can take them in because they are a size 40 waist and I am a 32, is that manageable.
I thought may be a couple of inches would be ok, I will just have to wait and see, and if its as expensive as I think it may be perhaps it may be a resell.
Just doing a cuff on pants at our local tailors costs, $28 bucks, asking for a refit of the pants I may need to get a loan.

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
Also shangas would you know anything about old Motoman workwear the Australian brand that's been around since the late 40's.
I happened to come across a blue and white pinstripe work jacket a couple of weeks ago in vinnies, and I think it may a be a railroad jacket.
The label looks really old, and the jacket is in great condition, I contacted Motoman here in Sydney but they informed me that they have kept no records of there old labels, so they could not date it for me, but they said that they used to make railroad jackets.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Ooooh dear.

40 down to 32? That's a big stretch. I'm a 32/30 myself, so I'm very familiar with that waist-size. You're asking the tailor to take in EIGHT INCHES. I'm not even sure if that's possible. I mean I'm not a tailor, but I'm picturing that in my head, and I don't see it working. If it was 34 or 36 maybe. But something with that big of a difference...I have my doubts.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Being in Sydney mate your best chance of finding something is along the King St strip at Newtown. There used to be some great places in Paddington and the city, like the Jazz Garter on Pitt St or Top Hat on George St, but I haven't seen anything decent in any such shop, where they still exist, for well over a decade.

If you've got deep pockets you can dig the crazy repro gear at Skin Deep on Elizabeth St, made from vintage patterns but way expensive. Ebay is a hepcat's best friend these days. I've also got a line on some way out vintage-styled heavy 12-14oz wool fabric from Yorkshire and a great tailor out in Liverpool for half the price of Skin Deep.

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
Thanks Benny H mate I will upload some of my finds later today, just before Christmas last year I was lucky enough to pick up a Antons of Melbourne pinstripe suit, for pretty much nothing off ebay, must admit its not the best quality but for what I payed it was well worth it.
I did visit skin deep and inquire about a suit but after being told the price decided it was not for me.
That fabric sounds nice, perhaps I may also have to get the name of that tailor off you as well sometime.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Antons are pretty cool, they had some great suits in the Skygardens when they had the shop there. I think they relocated to Paddington but haven't been there.

I only recently received the cloth samples along with 4 metres of 14oz wool in black with a white 'rope' stripe, beautiful material. The samples are amazing! The tailor is Mario Valenti at 62 Moore St Liverpool. He's made a dozen or so suits for me over the years including full-drape zoot suits and beltbacks with pleated pockets and back panels, the lot. He's the mezz!

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
Thanks Benny for that, I will have to write that down. Here is one my suits that came today from the states, an almost new looking 1940's DB suit made by Timely Clothing. I am really happy with it. DB Suit.jpg my suit 7.jpg my suit 2.jpg my suit 4.jpg my suit.jpg .

More pictures to follow, I may perhaps even drop them into another suit thread as well, hope you like.

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
I know this thread is about how difficult it is to obtain any old clothing here in Australia, but here are a couple of other small finds I have recently found.
To be honest I know nothing about the Wings white shirt even though I assume its either from the 40's or 50's, and the old David Jones one looks like 50's rockabilly to me. Here they are wings shirt.jpg wings label.jpg back of shirt.jpg wings label 2.jpg david jones shirt.jpg

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
And another item I found, a really nice work jacket made by Motoman here in Australia, they have been around since the late 40's and produced mainly work wear. I have no idea how old this one is but sure looks to have some age from the label, plus I can't imagine them making this look today. Either way I love this piece and it looks really great on. Old Work Wear By Motoman.jpg motoman 2.jpg motoman 3.jpg motoman 4.jpg motom jacket 4.jpg

Talbot

One Too Many
Nice gear. As previous posters have said, the rise in popularity of things mid century in the 80's really cruelled chances of picking up good gear in opp shops.

I recall a Menswear store here in Bourke street downtown having a clear out of old stock mid 80's. Suits, shoes, shirts, swim togs - everything. All NOS from the 40's & 50's.

I picked up what I could on my student income, but always wonder what I would do with that haul now.

Store is still there - sells athletic shoes now.

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
Thanks Talbot, yes I have also been in a similar situation back in the early 80's the town that I used to live in had plenty of charity shops but one in particular, where I used to purchase my clothes she had an enormous amount of old suits, shoes hats shirts all really old.
I just wish I would have been a collector back then, instead most of my twenty five pound weekly wages went on partying.
Those kind of shops sadly no longer exist, well at least none that I know, other wise I would be there everyday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner