Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finish Flaking off B-3 and Irvin Jackets

RapidReaper

Familiar Face
So I've been wearing my near-new condition Irvin jacket a few hours a week lately, it's never been exposed to rain, never had any treatment applied and the creases are just now starting to really appear, but I've noticed the finish peeling off in pinprick sized ( or slightly greater ) spots all over it, and not even in high wear areas.
The right shoulder area has begun to loose it's sheen, the hide is beginning to develop the broken grain or "blistering" effect I normally associate with ELC's Time Worn,Warhorse or .50 Cal finish, which isn't an issue but along with the loss of sheen, the area is becoming increasingly whitened, as if you can massage that area and you can easily discern a white spongy effect under the finish, as if the finish were thinning out and exposing the bare skin underneath.
Any one else experienced this? How much of it is normal? As we've all seen I'm sure, there are horror story jackets out there with completely exposed panels that are ruined. I just want to know the prognosis.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Deacon211

One Too Many
I don't have a pic handy, but my ELC redskin B-6 started doing this years ago. Not knowing about the great salve wars, I just used mink oil about once a year after that.

The flaking stopped dead once I moisturized it.

I wouldn't suggest mink oil any longer, but maybe some of the stuff that the salve war threads recommend? I know JC uses plain old Vasoline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AdeeC

Practically Family
I don't have a pic handy, but my ELC redskin B-6 started doing this years ago. Not knowing about the great salve wars, I just used mink oil about once a year after that.

I wouldn't suggest mink oil any longer, but maybe some of the stuff that the salve war threads recommend? I know JC uses plain old Vasoline.

Agree with that. My first Avirex B3 started heavy flaking and cracking within a year of purchase and looking dry and crusty. Looked like it was going to fall apart in no time. After leather treatment it stopped and I repeated it every few years with products I have long forgotten. I gave it to my young nephew a few years back, is in sound condition and looks awesome on him. It is now going on close to 40 years old. These jackets benefit from regular maintenance. With that new one I would wait a little while longer before treating it. Some early natural wear and tear will help encourage nice patina and character in the future.

Last edited:

RapidReaper

Familiar Face

Thanks for the replies guys. I rubbed in a little Pecard's on the shoulder area and it looks much better. Guess I won't pay too much attention to the little specks until they become noticeable patches.

RapidReaper

Familiar Face
Wear it like its stolen. Once the *new car* smell wears off, Im Prettymuch Gonna give my Sheepskin hell.
And this jacket will look like a depression era railroad engineer wore it in due time, but it's not going to start it's life with flaking bald spots and poor tanning. The process of proper abuse must begin properly.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Its polished brass on the Titanic man, dont mock the process! :D Let it go gracefully, and be proud of your Wear and tear...in the case of a new Repro its something to celebrate. Its looking good...flaunt the imperfection!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy