Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finshed my first A1

fishmeok

Vendor
just finished it-Here's a couple of quick pics- I'm pretty happy with it. It's made out of lambskin I found at a local warehouse.
Cheers
Mark

IMG_2350.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

I look tired, annoyed, and hot in this one- it's about 84 degrees in here. Too hot for a jacket....

IMG_2346.jpg

fishmeok

Vendor
Thanks guys. I this is a good size 46, but I think for myself I could use about an inch off each side- I'm like a 45 long. This pattern will work for my LB jacket, A-1, and a "private purchase" A-2 which I think I am going to try next. It's really comfortable though, with no pulling on the arms or back when I sit in the driving position- fit just depends on personal taste. I look great in an original 44 A-2, but only if I just stand around with my arms at my sides and don't actually MOVE or anything.

the lamb is super soft and crumples up into a ball when you throw it on a chair, but the jacket still has more heft to it than I thought it would. As usual my biggest problem is time and supply- it's been pure hit or miss for me in regard to finding decent materials. Even the company I've been buying the LB jacket hides from has been put under "new management" in the last few weeks and won't return my e-mails.

I am still going to put a hanger in this jacket, and hand paint a label for it. The lamb has been an absolute joy to work with, sews like butter and the seams fold down flat when I want them to. I used what has become my standard M-422A style pocket because I think the tiny pockets on the original A-1's make the jacket look odd and a little out of proportion. I'll take some detail shots once I get the label done.

I really need to keep track of my time, I've been working on this on and off for a few weeks, but how many hours it actually took I don't know.
Cheers
Mark

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap Beatiful jacket.

I envy your skills and am very much inspired to try making my own repro's (not necessarily a leather jacket..)

pablocham

One of the Regulars
I am very impressed. Where did you get or how did you make the collar knits? I have been thinking about modifying a trashed old G1 with an A1 style collar. Would appreciate any help/info.

fishmeok

Vendor
pablocham said:
I am very impressed. Where did you get or how did you make the collar knits? I have been thinking about modifying a trashed old G1 with an A1 style collar. Would appreciate any help/info.

Thanks for the compliments everyone- the collar knit is the same as the waist. Try flightsuits.com and get the all wool historical A-2 knits. Good stuff.

You never cease to amaze, Mark. While your workmanship appears (to my admittedly under-trained eye) quite good, it's your stylistic sensibility that makes me take notice.

When it's done by someone with a real appreciation for and dedication to the craft, a handmade item has a soul to it that factory-made stuff can't match. I don't think I'm just imaging that, either, even if I can't say just exactly what constitutes that "soul."

Forgive me if you've answered this before ...

You're essentially self-taught, right? Studied at the School of HK?

fishmeok

Vendor
tonyb said:
You never cease to amaze, Mark. While your workmanship appears (to my admittedly under-trained eye) quite good, it's your stylistic sensibility that makes me take notice.

When it's done by someone with a real appreciation for and dedication to the craft, a handmade item has a soul to it that factory-made stuff can't match. I don't think I'm just imaging that, either, even if I can't say just exactly what constitutes that "soul."

Forgive me if you've answered this before ...

You're essentially self-taught, right? Studied at the School of HK?

To quote Ferris Bueller: "Never had one lesson..." but I did get a lot of very good advice and encouragement from John Chapman-would not have been able to get this far without it. It helps that I have a very strong obsessive streak in my family, and a very understanding wife.
Cheers
Mark

JLStorm

Practically Family
Ive been following your jackets...I want to see you make an ANJ-4. I have no idea why...I just want to see you do it [huh]

DC3

New in Town
My wife says I must have four or five cows worth of leather garments hanging in the closet, but it's really much more than that if you count all the motorcycle stuff. The rub for me is that I have made none of it. I have sewn many clothing items, but only in some form of fabric. I have, however, had this itch to dive into a G-8 though...mmmm. I see a winter project in my future if I can find a pattern.

Mark: This is a fine piece of work, and the color is compelling. Is that double needle work around the pockets and hem or two passes. Either way it is very nice stitching.

Thank you for posting your work for all of us to see. Nice hat BTW. Looks spot on.

David

JLStorm

Practically Family
DC3 said:
My wife says I must have four or five cows worth of leather garments hanging in the closet, but it's really much more than that if you count all the motorcycle stuff. The rub for me is that I have made none of it. I have sewn many clothing items, but only in some form of fabric. I have, however, had this itch to dive into a G-8 though...mmmm. I see a winter project in my future if I can find a pattern.

Mark: This is a fine piece of work, and the color is compelling. Is that double needle work around the pockets and hem or two passes. Either way it is very nice stitching.

Thank you for posting your work for all of us to see. Nice hat BTW. Looks spot on.

David

Just tell your wife that its your way of honoring all of the cows you have eaten over the years :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24