Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First or Second Day Hair?

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Does anyone prefer their set better on a certain day?

If I wash mine, pin curl it and leave it overnight, I find the next day is quite poofy, whereas it settles down a bit the day after...

I have a "thing" to go to on Friday and Im wondering if I go with fresh washed hair Thursday night, or wash on Wednesday, and let it settle down?

Antje

One Too Many
I also some thimes have problems with this, I love fresh washed hair but most of the time my second day hair is better.

I think you should go for a second day,

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
I've been reading on here a bit how long everyone goes between washings. I wash every day otherwise I get so overwhelmingly oily and gross. I wish I could go longer between washings!

I wash and set at night (though I let my hair dry first)...I do have poofiness in the AM. I found this morning that my curls were hard to brush through and a bit wild (well, not just a bit wild...)

Perhaps I should bite it and try going a day without the shampoo/conditioner and setting on day 2.

RitaHayworth and Antje...what type of hair do you have?

Inky

One Too Many
I have frizzy/wavy/coarse colored hair (dark brown with nuclear red chunks right now) and I wash at the most twice a week, usually just once a week unless I do something that requires another hair shampooing.

I usually wash on Wednesday so I can set it Friday night or hot-roller set it on Saturday. I find that 2nd or 3rd day hair is better for me to manage. It seems to have settled down somewhat by then and takes the set in a more manageable way.

Occasionally I'll wet set it right after shampooing, but that is when I can afford the time to leave it in rollers or pin curls for at least 36 hours (it takes forever to dry when set!)

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
For those of you that wash and set a few days later, what do you do in the interim before you set?

And does anyone out there with oily skin/scalp get away with washing less often? Sorry for all the questions...I'm learning so much here!

I know it is better for your hair not to wash so often...I used to use WEN cleansing conditioner and after a few months of use, I could go a day without washing. However, as my budget won't allow me to spend so much on products, I gave up WEN and went back to the regular ol' shampoo and conditioner.

Inky

One Too Many
Hi DaisieWilde - honestly, I either put it up in a bandana (rosie the riveter style) if I have to go somewhere, or a ponytail or use a hair stick. I am fortunate that I telecommute and no one but my cats and husband have to see me every day ;)

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
Count me as a girl who needs to wash every day too. My hair is not that thick and gets oily at the roots quickly! Wish I could go more than a day but I look so icky!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
You'll probably be happier with the 2nd day hair. I find that if I "over brush" my hair on the first day I end up with less curl and poof than I intended.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Antje said:
I have thick hair but not so much, and my hair is naturally curly, so it has a mind of its own and somethimes it's really frizzy

Me too. Its fine in texture, but there is a tonne of it!

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
i have yet to get my hair to hold a curl through the end of day one, let alone last through day two... :( (setting lotion and all, my hair just refuses to stay curled)

i like my hair best on day 2 anyway - day 1 is too clean to do anything with, and day 3 is a bit greasy, so it's usually hat day or i plan for day 3 to be one of my stay at home days.... even if i set my hair and it falls flat, it's still easier to do something with on day 2!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My hair can go days without a washing, which would be great if I didn't work out every other day or so. I can't imagine not washing my hair after a workout.

For you girls who go several days to a week, do you still wet your hair in the shower?

Antje

One Too Many
DaisieWilde said:
For those of you that wash and set a few days later, what do you do in the interim before you set?

And does anyone out there with oily skin/scalp get away with washing less often? Sorry for all the questions...I'm learning so much here!

I know it is better for your hair not to wash so often...I used to use WEN cleansing conditioner and after a few months of use, I could go a day without washing. However, as my budget won't allow me to spend so much on products, I gave up WEN and went back to the regular ol' shampoo and conditioner.

maybe you could try only to conditioner wash your hair, I do this too with suave naturals coconut conditioner it really works, once your scalp gets used to it, it won't be as greasy as it used to be.

I used to have greasy roots and dry ends and now i have normal skin and perfect lenghts.

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
Antje said:
maybe you could try only to conditioner wash your hair, I do this too with suave naturals coconut conditioner it really works, once your scalp gets used to it, it won't be as greasy as it used to be.

I used to have greasy roots and dry ends and now i have normal skin and perfect lenghts.

I used to use WEN, it was really fantastic...but lordy is that expensive! I am very much willing to find a cheaper alternative. I will be picking this conditioner up the next time I head to the store!!!

Antje

One Too Many
DaisieWilde said:
I used to use WEN, it was really fantastic...but lordy is that expensive! I am very much willing to find a cheaper alternative. I will be picking this conditioner up the next time I head to the store!!!

I never heard of WEN, but I love my suave

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
WEN is a cleansing conditioner, sold on QVC and in the salon started by the creator, Chaz Dean. While it is in no way a new concept...I think he was the first to market a cleansing conditioner.

I saw an infomercial and decided to buy. It really is fantastic, especially the other styling products. But I cannot justify almost $100 every three months for it!

It took awhile for my oily hair to get used to it, but man, when it did, it was fabulous.

msrsimpkin

New in Town
Unfortunately, my hair barely holds a curl until the evening, nevermind the next day. By the second day, my hair is pretty much straight again, so I tend to use my hotsticks on day two (which don't really give me the style I desire, but at least they give my hair some sort of style, instead of the flat, limp mess I wake up with :p)

Elaina

One Too Many
They have dry shampoo as well that cuts the "greasy" and saves your hair from having to be washed constantly.

Miss Bella Hell, no I don't get my hair wet unless I wash it. Even if I reset it through the week, I spritz it to get it wet, and even then it's not wet, just barely damp. I also wear cotton bandanas when I go outside/workout and I don't subject my hair to anything strenuous. Cotton absorbs sweat, keeps the 'do in place, and if I do get a little greasy feeling dry shampoos work fine.

I have a ton of hair, and it borders on dry, so I don't actually have a greasy problem. I also use natural brushes, and I've discovered this helps in keeping it healthier then plastic ones, and I use an actual comb a lot as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn