Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First refurbish/restore. Starting pics and in process shots, need advise!

Al_Ojeda

Familiar Face
Thanks for all the comments, the process of cleanig you can see in here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=39939

The Block that I used in effect is a homemade styrofoam one that was cover with Plaster of Paris to get the hard surface... pic. below

block.jpg

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Excellent job!...The ribbon treatment is A1!...Art inspires again!...I really like that foam block...Just my size too!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Hawkhat

New in Town
Great Hat Al !

Is that the rule of thumb...make the final block shape 2 cm bigger than your real size? My size is 58cm, so I would want a 60cm block for the final diameter?

Al_Ojeda

Familiar Face
Hawkhat, I don't know is that is the rule the only thing that I had in mind was that the sweatband have to have its space so with the 3 layers of plaster I thought that would be enough.
Iit came out to be 2 cm bigger that my size 59 and it's work perfectly... by accident :eek: , with mi experience in this matter the important thing is that the sweatband fix you properly, then the felt you can shrink or expand a little bit I can say +_ 1 cm during the process of attaching the sweatband spraying some water in the opening. I want also to tell that I'm not a savvy in the hat making process all this are IMHO.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
So really...

...what we're saying here is that you can basically many anything out of anything.

I expect you to be making a beautiful hat our of drier felt any day now!;)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Just chiming in to add another accolade to those already posted. You do superb recrafting on the felts you've posted. The threads are very instructional as well. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Al_Ojeda

Familiar Face
cookie said:
Al
How do you force the sucker over the mould to increase size? Hat stretch it and then force it over the mould till it dries?[huh]

I just forced it over the mold, went the felt is wet it expand easily in the opening side (let say horizontal way), but a little less in the vertical way in order to make the brim wide.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Al I have a parabuntal hood about 22inches I want to stretch it to 24inches. Is wetting it and stretching it 'wet' the answer then letting it dry on the hat shaper?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo