Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First vintage hat...I hope (Stetson derby)

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Well, I have old hats, but I hope this is a nice old hat:) Snagged it today, pics are from the listing. And then I wondered "could it be wool":eek:

Can anyone tell me anything about it? Thanks!

bowlerfrontxa1.jpg

bowlersidexs9.jpg

bowlerliningbigfu0.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Stetson made a very nice derby. Very fine high quality felt (at least on the one I have).
Very nice.
this one's mine

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
You certainly don't see many bowlers that are that clean, that's for sure. They usually look like they've been through 23 high school theatre department productions.

Nice score.

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
Wow- and to find one in your size is even more impressive. I hardly ever even see them over a size 7

I thought they must be uncommon. I asked myself "how long before the next apparently clean old Stetson derby in 7 1/2 comes along?" I watched a 7 1/2 Stratoliner disappear into the Stratosphere (as far as I was concerned, I guess it sold for a reaonable price) this morning. I hope this ends up being a nice consolation prize:)

Dinerman, yours looks like wonderful felt. This one appears fuzzier and not as smoothly rounded. I can hope its JPEG compression! I can read "Standard Quality" on the liner (as opposed to "Our Finest Quality" or even "Really Nice Quality") But anyway, as long as it's not wool, I think I'll like it.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Very nice score indeed!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I have one that looks just like that. It is a Stetson "The Soverign". Furfelt from the late 40's early 50's, very much a bowler. I think you will like what you get. If the fit is a tad snug, just be patient with the stretching because it will deform easily since they are pretty much a hard shell. Take it slowly, like a couple of days with minor incremental adjustments. But most likely it will fit like a glove.
Enjoy, and wear it in good health!:eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

that one looks like it has "standard quality" above the stetson logo on the liner. This puts it pre 1941, i believe, which is when stetson moved over to the Royal, Royal Deluxe and Imperial designations.

The sweatband doesn't look like the 1920s type that stetson used - looks like the smooth leather of the 1930s rather than the rather more grained leather of the 20s.

So, a lovely hat in a remarkable size from the 1930s.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner