Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fit check schott 118

casas gustavo

New in Town
Hello friends, I am from Argentina, my 118 jacket is new, bought in the NY business, manufactured in 2023, a friend brought it to me who went on a trip to the USA.
the size guide on the schott page is really accurate
since I did not trust and I asked for a size 40 plus and I really think a size 38 would fit me better, but we are in a cold autumn and I really do not know if a size 38 would allow me to wear a coat, It is a question that I can hardly clarify since In my country there is no market for this type of jacket, I would like to get a size 40 613s in the future to see if it is a more appropriate size to wear with a shirt, regards

Attachments

• 20230610_115952.jpg
    20230610_115952.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 520
  • 20230610_120238.jpg
    20230610_120238.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 421
  • 20230610_121611.jpg
    20230610_121611.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 353
  • 20230610_122533.jpg
    20230610_122533.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 367

Viking752

Practically Family
Hello friends, I am from Argentina, my 118 jacket is new, bought in the NY business, manufactured in 2023, a friend brought it to me who went on a trip to the USA.
the size guide on the schott page is really accurate
since I did not trust and I asked for a size 40 plus and I really think a size 38 would fit me better, but we are in a cold autumn and I really do not know if a size 38 would allow me to wear a coat, It is a question that I can hardly clarify since In my country there is no market for this type of jacket, I would like to get a size 40 613s in the future to see if it is a more appropriate size to wear with a shirt, regards
Looks good.

mumpy

A-List Customer
Looks good! This needs to break in and it will drape better.

EDIT: I think the 118 runs a bit large so if you are a 40 in the 613s, you would be a 38 in the 118. Depends on your measurements and your fit preferences though.

Edward

Bartender
I agree, it's a good fit if you want to wear it as is. I think too many folks make the mistake of trying to get their jacket in the Ramone fit, and then hugely limit its wear potential as only a t-shirt will fit under it. Too much for warm days, no room for layering when cold...

I have a neat-fitting 618; I always have ha;f an eye out for an ebay stealof a deal on a 118 that I'd deliberatey get just a little bigger...

The 118 and the 618 historical ly had different fits, but since some time in the early 90s (I think) they are cut to the same pattern but labelled differently. The 118 will be equivalent to a size marked one larger in the 618. Thus my size 46 618, were it naked cowhide and sold as a 118, otherwise identical, would me marked up as a size 44. AFAIK, the 613 follows the 618 in sizing, but I have no direct experience with those.

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
I think as it breaks in a bit you’ll be fine. I have a 141 in the same naked leather and it seems to fit a little smaller as time goes on.

jeo

One Too Many
I agree, it's a good fit if you want to wear it as is. I think too many folks make the mistake of trying to get their jacket in the Ramone fit, and then hugely limit its wear potential as only a t-shirt will fit under it. Too much for warm days, no room for layering when cold...

From my experience it’s best to get the cow/steer 118, 618 or 613 in a tighter fit as the leather will stretch out. In a little less than a year my 618 stretched out considerably, even in the waist where I didn’t think it was possible. Different story if you’re going for HH.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I have a neat-fitting 618; I always have ha;f an eye out for an ebay stealof a deal on a 118 that I'd deliberatey get just a little bigger...

The 118 and the 618 historical ly had different fits, but since some time in the early 90s (I think) they are cut to the same pattern but labelled differently. The 118 will be equivalent to a size marked one larger in the 618. Thus my size 46 618, were it naked cowhide and sold as a 118, otherwise identical, would me marked up as a size 44. AFAIK, the 613 follows the 618 in sizing, but I have no direct experience with those.

Even the Ramone fit is a bit of a misnomer. They routinely wore thick hoodies under their Perfectos, so they couldn’t have been anywhere near as tight as the people downsizing jackets to look “punk” wearr theirs.

The 613S that OP mentioned is a slightly different pattern than the standard 613/618, closer to the 60s/70s pattern, placing it somewhat in-between sizes, so where a 618/613 in 42 = 118 in 40, a 613S in 42 is like a ‘41’ in 618/613 and ‘39’ in 118. The shoulders are the key difference.

Edward

Bartender
Even the Ramone fit is a bit of a misnomer. They routinely wore thick hoodies under their Perfectos, so they couldn’t have been anywhere near as tight as the people downsizing jackets to look “punk” wearr theirs.

The 613S that OP mentioned is a slightly different pattern than the standard 613/618, closer to the 60s/70s pattern, placing it somewhat in-between sizes, so where a 618/613 in 42 = 118 in 40, a 613S in 42 is like a ‘41’ in 618/613 and ‘39’ in 118. The shoulders are the key difference.

Aha! Yes, I gather they changed the patterns here and thereover time while keeping the same style numbers (like Levi's with 501s).

I think with the Ramone thing, a lot of people's reference are those early photos, from before Joey could find/ afford a jacket that fit quite right. It's interesting, though, how these sort of images take hold even if they're not quite how it really was much of the time - like something out of an Adam Curtis documentary.

casas gustavo

New in Town
Aha! Yes, I gather they changed the patterns here and thereover time while keeping the same style numbers (like Levi's with 501s).

I think with the Ramone thing, a lot of people's reference are those early photos, from before Joey could find/ afford a jacket that fit quite right. It's interesting, though, how these sort of images take hold even if they're not quite how it really was much of the time - like something out of an Adam Curtis documentary.
Thank you for your comments. In my case, my idea of having a Schott 118 was because of its history in its use of motorcycles. Although I like punk rock, I feel like the Ramones wore much smaller sizes. I see it in its sleeves and the Schott has a much longer measurement designed for driving, but understanding that it has to have a proper fit, not too big so that the wind doesn't get in from behind and the ideal length on the back. so that it covers you but doesn't lean on your seat and get up, in my jacket the length in the back is effective if I feel the wind come in when I'm wearing a shirt and the wind hollows out my back a bit, not like that when I'm wearing a coat underneath, beyond use and fashion sometimes do not go hand in hand but the schott for me have that balance, they look good and their purpose is fulfilled, I appreciate all the comments above, thanks for taking the time to comment

Aloysius

Sometimes it’s not even the photos accurately but how people remember them. For instance, that Brazilian band someone posted here who remade the first album’s cover photo—only they were all wearing Perfectos. In that original Roberta Bayley photo, only Johnny is (it was his pre-band jacket).

Edward

Bartender
Sometimes it’s not even the photos accurately but how people remember them. For instance, that Brazilian band someone posted here who remade the first album’s cover photo—only they were all wearing Perfectos. In that original Roberta Bayley photo, only Johnny is (it was his pre-band jacket).

Yes - I think too that shot also often gets confused with the Rocket To Russia cover, which probably further muddies the waters.

Aloysius

Yes - I think too that shot also often gets confused with the Rocket To Russia cover, which probably further muddies the waters.

Although even there, Tommy is still in his trucker and Joey switched his Perfecto for a Lightning. It’s just Dee Dee who’s joined with a Perfecto, there.

Edward

Bartender
Although even there, Tommy is still in his trucker and Joey switched his Perfecto for a Lightning. It’s just Dee Dee who’s joined with a Perfecto, there.

Yes - I have a half-remembered notion there's only the one shoot with Tommy in a cross-zip, falling after Rocket, and before he quit the band to produce full time - which wasn't long after that, if memory serves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner