Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit Pic Techniques

dannyk

One Too Many
I guess I am dumb because it never crossed my mind my phone even has an auto-timer. Just checked and ofcourse it does! A new era of jacket selfies begins!!<insane laughter>

Seriously though, I usually take the classic mirror selfie because it's the least time-consuming. I just grab my phone before I leave the apartment, snap a picture, upload it on my way to the bus and done. I'm never happy with how I look on pictures, so I don't bother with taking more than one or two and just upload them.

If I have more time, as for the jacket reviews I did on my Vanson America or Langlitz Cascade, I ask one of my brothers to take decent pictures.. my family knows about my jacket craziness and this forum, never bothered to hide it. My mum's no fan of most my jackets, thinks they are too heavy and stiff, but my brothers and father actually started wearing quality leather jackets too after i got involved with it.
Youre not alone. I’ve had a smart phone for a decade or more now and never once did it cross my mind it might have a timer!

Flightengineer

Practically Family
My 12 year old daughter is a good sport about being my photographer. Also, unlike me, she knows how to use the edit feature on the iphone.

My youngest daughter is 11 and she makes good pics too (much better than my wife :) ). She likes flight jackets and one of them she already "secured" for herself and said, when she grow up, take it away from me :) (the fact that this jacket will obviously oversized for she - not bother her) ...In addition, she wants to follow my steps in choosing profession.
And ... sometimes my friends and collegues take pictures of me, most of this pics of course made by smartphone.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
In addition, she wants to follow my steps in choosing profession.
I hate to say this, but it's likely your job won't exist by the time she's entering the workforce. I hope I'm wrong, but billions of dollars and thousands of smart people are working hard right now to make it happen.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I use a Sony camera on a tripod. My camera has a viewing screen that can flip up and give you a selfie look. I think they had this on video cameras more than still cameras. This camera also has a timer.

I've been recently using my phone a Samsung. I rubber band to my tripod and use the timer.

In vertical orientation it can be sort of a fun house mirror. It has a slimming effect. Vertical orientation seems to work better when looking at pictures on a phone

Some of the pictures posted on here can be real disappointing. Great people in great jackets in less than great pictures

willyto

One Too Many
I use my Nikon D90 with a tripod. I'm very picky with photography uploads. I'm not an expert by any means but I hate to share bad pictures.

I usually go up to my rooftop, I have a cream wall with small crackings that give some texture and I stand there and use the timer with the remote. If I'm not looking to show my face I just cut my head, it's easier that way in order not to shoot too many pics and pic the one you look half decent.

PTr4Z6H.jpg

c9leBG4.jpg

This is an old example​

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I do not think that in the next 10 years all civil aircraft will become unmanned :)
It's always been a terrible idea. Technomadness has its limits, as was demonstrated recently when some poor pedestrian was run over by a driverless car. We'd be so much better off if they put the billions into public transportation, especially in this country.

It's always been a terrible idea. Technomadness has its limits, as was demonstrated recently when some poor pedestrian was run over by a driverless car. We'd be so much better off if they put the billions into public transportation, especially in this country.
Damn straight bob. The pursuit of lazy perfection has laid waste to human skills. Large and small.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I do not think that in the next 10 years all civil aircraft will become unmanned :)

Have seen 2-3 drones zip right by us in my dad’s plane. Probably within 500 ft but too fast to tell. You are supposed to register your non-toy drones with the FAA. I really don’t feel like they have found a way to control the airspace in plane vs. drone. Just unsure of how to enforce drone airspace.

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Have seen 2-3 drones zip right by us in my dad’s plane. Probably within 500 ft but too fast to tell. You are supposed to register your non-toy drones with the FAA. However, a collision with the drone during takeoff or landing will not bring anything good either...I really don’t feel like they have found a way to control the airspace in plane vs. drone. Just unsure of how to enforce drone airspace.

Nick, this is certainly not for this topic ... But you're right, the problem of drones... Recently I saw video on tube where homemade drone climbed 30,000 feet. It's terrible to imagine what will happen if we face it at cruise speed on FL300. However, a collision with the drone during takeoff or landing will not bring anything good either. I think the security is very vulnerable now and I do not know what the aviation administrations of different countries will do with this problem.
As for unmanned passenger aircraft controlled by robots without a crew.... I think it's a utopia. With all the high increasing automation on modern crafts from year to year, the role of a man only increases too, while automatic kills serviceable planes time after time ...when the crew does not have time to intervene or recognize the problem.

As for the thread .... I tried to shots the jackets on the camera, but for me it's too professional and too long way. Another thing is landscapes or nature :)
In my case, the photo taken on the move on the smartphone seems quite sufficient (for me).

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Nick, this is certainly not for this topic ... But you're right, the problem of drones... Recently I saw video on tube where homemade drone climbed 30,000 feet. It's terrible to imagine what will happen if we face it at cruise speed on FL300. However, a collision with the drone during takeoff or landing will not bring anything good either. I think the security is very vulnerable now and I do not know what the aviation administrations of different countries will do with this problem.
As for unmanned passenger aircraft controlled by robots without a crew.... I think it's a utopia. With all the high increasing automation on modern crafts from year to year, the role of a man only increases too, while automatic kills serviceable planes time after time ...when the crew does not have time to intervene or recognize the problem.

As for the thread .... I tried to shots the jackets on the camera, but for me it's too professional and too long way. Another thing is landscapes or nature :)
In my case, the photo taken on the move on the smartphone seems quite sufficient (for me).

So off topic but as you know there is a forecasted shortage-demand for commercial pilots! I can’t fly. Wish I could. Would fail the medical exam even for light sport license. Shutting up.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Off topic again ;) I tried a couple of times to work towards my CPL. Hour building was fun, but I got put off by rising costs, complexicating Air Space, never-ending-NOTAMS, re-evolving rules & regs and the precarious financial lives of many of the line pilots I knew back when.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Lighting and resolution. Camera pics if you can get the detail, my phone is rubbish, so I have to wait for the right time and weather to get outsdoors and take some pics.
NB to show front, back and sides, arm reach, and details. Relax and hold natural poses.
Avoid bright sunlight, as has been said... the pics can burn out. Morning, afternoon, shade, or overcast is better.
I will then crop my mug out, the idea is show the jacket (how it fits and drapes on my frame and she detail)...
My philosophy is 'what would I want to see, in considering this jacket'...
Sometimes, I will take into Photoshop and colour correct, but only if I have the time and am house-bound.
I will then choose the better pics to post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn