Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fixing up a liner

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
I just received this in the mail from Roninjedi, and as he mentions in the ad the liner is a little discoloured, and also coming loose. As you can see in the picture the crest is also blurred a little I assume from sweat or rain soaking.

Anyone have tips on how I can straighten this out some and get it decently re-attached? perhaps clean it a bit too, but mostly just want to get it where it's not all wadded up.

Also, based on the date a stetson by liner method, I'm guessing this is mid-50's origin? is that a good guess?

Thanks!
3926621902_dab93792de.jpg

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I have cleaned liners using a gentle warm water sink washing where I scrubbed soiled areas by supporting the area and scrubbing the stain with a fingernail. I used Woolite but other soaps that rinse out thoroughly will work.
Then warm water rinse. Place the liner over a bowl shaped like a derby (OK, I don't watch enough Food Channel so the name escapes me but that is descriptive enough). I "size" the bowl up to the proper size using handtowels.
The liner will likely retain its wrinkles but when it is almost dry you can steam it and smooth it by hand. It should finish to look like a new liner and then you can put it back in hat and push the proper places into creases in "bash". Glue or sew to hat as desired once you're happy with fit.

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
carouselvic said:
Right on.

Right on what?

Thanks for the description on cleaning... How do I remove the liner form the hat? Would it just be stiched on? How are they usually sewn on?
Sorry I'm very new to hats!

suitedcboy

One Too Many
If you fold down the leather sweatband you will see the way it is attached. Stitching will be obvious as will glue if that was how it was attached. There is also a chance it has been removed before and is no longer attached.
If stitched, carefully cut and pull the thread. If glued, then carefully place finger behind liner, grasp, and pull gently. The liner will pull away from hat without too much effort.

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Thanks, it had been stitched in, but was down to one strand holding it at the very back so I got it out without too much difficulty. Just wearing the hat unlined now until I get that cleaned up.
Woolite, like the laundry detergent?

This liner has the clear plastic cover, does that affect anything?

I use Woolite, for delicate washables, in cold water in a bowl & hand agitate. Water will get between the cover & the liner in the crown but let it air dry turned inside out. I then used a cool iron to smooth out the sides & pressed the back side of the top so as not to touch that plastic part. I usually just tuck my liners behind the sweatband & never reattach since I can pull them out in warmer weather or to reshape. You can get a craft fabric glue if you want.

billysmom

One Too Many
I have a couple of hats where the liner is attached with small strips of what looks like masking tape. Perhaps that was done after a clean/reblock? In any case, it makes removal easy.

Sue

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Thanks, the masking tape thing sounds promising.. just a bit of stick, but not too much.

Another question, on the sweatband though... as you can see in the picture it's a little "sloppy" looking. Is there a way to "shrink" it back to the way it should be? or will it just iron out over time on my head?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
gtdean48 said:
I use Woolite, for delicate washables, in cold water in a bowl & hand agitate. Water will get between the cover & the liner in the crown but let it air dry turned inside out. I then used a cool iron to smooth out the sides & pressed the back side of the top so as not to touch that plastic part. I usually just tuck my liners behind the sweatband & never reattach since I can pull them out in warmer weather or to reshape. You can get a craft fabric glue if you want.
:arated: I learned my liner-cleaning from gtdean48, and his method works well. I haven't tried total immersion with one that has a plastic liner-cover - I always either tear off the cover, or I immerse all but the cover. I also iron, rather than steam, but will try suitedcboy's steaming method next time, just to see how it comes out. The ironing method works perfectly, but if the iron's too hot...meltage. And I would never use glue - if you must re-attach, it's not that difficult to sew it in yourself.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Boy, I really hate to post this,.....'cause I know you guys have a lot more experience than I, and I wouldn't doubt anything you say, but I have to add this,........of the liners I've cleaned with a mild Woolite solution, ( a Portis and a Borsalino), the crests all but disappeared! The Portis ink slid off the liner like snot and the Borsalino faded out about 50%.

Maybe I left them in the solution too long or the it was too strong, but I would be careful.
I for one won't be taking a chance on trying it again.
Has anyone else had this happen?

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the note, I will try to watch that. I can try to avoid getting the solution at the top there. But my crest is washed out a lot anyway so it wouldn't be that huge of a loss.

High Pockets said:
Boy, I really hate to post this,.....'cause I know you guys have a lot more experience than I, and I wouldn't doubt anything you say, but I have to add this,........of the liners I've cleaned with a mild Woolite solution, ( a Portis and a Borsalino), the crests all but disappeared! The Portis ink slid off the liner like snot and the Borsalino faded out about 50%.

Maybe I left them in the solution too long or the it was too strong, but I would be careful.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
High Pockets said:

The last time you mentioned this, I responded with a solution. Not sure if you read it, but you really should - Woolite is a great product and works well with hat liners. I can understand if you are nervous about modifying your woolite technique and retrying, but I'd hate to see others get scared away from a perfectly good solution that's been working well for many others on the lounge.

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
What is your solution? I did a search for posts by you and high pockets regarding woolite and didn't find any mention of this problem or solution.

Thanks!

ScottF said:
The last time you mentioned this, I responded with a solution. Not sure if you read it, but you really should - Woolite is a great product and works well with hat liners. I can understand if you are nervous about modifying your woolite technique and retrying, but I'd hate to see others get scared away from a perfectly good solution that's been working well for many others on the lounge.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
bbshriver said:
What is your solution? I did a search for posts by you and high pockets regarding woolite and didn't find any mention of this problem or solution.

Thanks!

Hmmm...I did a search on posts by Highpockets, and found it on the first page. He probably just missed my response - it's in the 'ebay victories' thread, where a lot of good information goes to die:

Using Woolite to clean liners

High Pockets

Practically Family
ScottF said:

:) Thanks Scott, I did read it and made note of it. I'll probably try it again as you said, but I felt the need to let members know that if you do it wrong,.....it might not turn out so well.

I've got two more Borsalinos that are pretty nasty,....so I'll give it another shot, but I ain't gonna like doing it. :D

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
High Pockets said:
:) Thanks Scott, I did read it and made note of it. I'll probably try it again as you said, but I felt the need to let members know that if you do it wrong,.....it might not turn out so well.

I've got two more Borsalinos that are pretty nasty,....so I'll give it another shot, but I ain't gonna like doing it. :D

Try that idea I mentioned about letting all of the liner soak except the logo end - you can put the entire thing under for a short time, then let the logo end rest on top of the foam, and splash cold water over it to rinse the woolite off. I probably mentioned this in my other post, but too lazy to check :)

But you are right - best to warn of consequences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails