Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FL Cult Films

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Boy On a Dolphin. A luminous Sophia Loren and slightly past-it Alan Ladd (with an ever marvellous Clifton Webb).
Not the worlds greatest film by any means and I hardly know anyone who has seen it but I just love it. 1950's Greece and Sophia in glorious technicolour - just wonderful. I have seen this literally hundreds of times since I was little.

Black Narcissus. Too well known to be really a cult film, but visually one of the most hypnotic films I have ever seen.

Last edited:

DNO

One Too Many
I adored both!

For those of us with a bit of rockabilly in us, Cry-Baby is a cult classic. (As are most of John Waters' works, actually lol)

Love Cry-Baby! It seems to be one of those films that no-one I know has ever seen...together with Dead Man, The Man who wasn't there, The Beast...I could go on.

But back to cult films...Army of Darkness seems to be quoted a lot on FL.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Death Line (aka Dead Meat in the US) - a true cult classic and very influential, John Landis references it a lot in his films.

I like Swingers too.

Edward

Bartender
As a film depicting the Era as near-flawlessly as any film in the last forty years could possibly do -- Paper Moon.

As a modern, non-vintage film that nevertheless strikes a note with a lot of us here -- Idiocracy.

Mn. I saw Idiocracy. Great opening, but it quickly became apparent that they only rally had that one joke, and it couldn't sustain what rapidly became a fairly run of the mill film.

I adored both!

For those of us with a bit of rockabilly in us, Cry-Baby is a cult classic. (As are most of John Waters' works, actually lol)

Pink Flamingos would probably make a few of the more delicate souls in here need a lie down. ;)

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I have probably said this before but I think that 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' is a modern cult classic. Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmer are great and it is very funny, the bit in the bar with the lookalike celebs is a killer.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I would think the ultimate FL Cult movie would be Man of the Century.

That being said, I think the entire genre of Film Noir could considered cult since the term was coined after the fact by dedicated fans who saw something special in the cheap B movies of the late 1940s and 1950s. If you ever want to see cultish behavior, get into a discussion with a film buff about what Film Noir actually means.

On that note, some of my favorites are:

Appointment with Danger

Cry Danger
His Kind of Woman

Just to name a few :)

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
In the vintage WWII category my first would be "12 O' Clock High" made in 1949 when original era uniforms were still available. The movie trys to help americans understand in reverse history how low morale actually was overseas and what airman in certain theatres endured. If you enjoy Army Air Force uniforms, A2/B3 jackets, the variant patterns and the many ways they were worn. This a great movie winning two academy awards.
Bless them all, bless them all, bless the long and the short and the tall.
Bless all the blondies and all the brunettes for each lad is happy to take what he gets.
Second, I know many watch Band of Bros. regularly as well.

alsendk

A-List Customer
I`ll go for bladerunner too.
It was criticized very much at the time it came out in the movies, and was forgotten partly by the big masses of cinema goers.
Still it was shown on small movie theatres in Copenhagen, and slowly it has become some sort of cult film by now.

I have always loved the science fiction genre, and bought all the dvd`s of Battlestar Galactica, and loved it....apart from the strange religious parts, that took up too much space in my opinion, and was blurring a good story.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Bad Day At Black Rock was spoiled for me by casting Spencer Tracy in the lead. He was about 40 years too old for the part. I spent the whole picture trying to figure out why someone's grandad was impersonating a recently discharged combat veteran looking for his best buddy's father. Was he an officer? Was his best buddy also 60 years old, and his father 90? Did the old man die of old age? Was Tracy an officer and the dead soldier somehow his fault, did he want to talk to the father because of his own guilt? What subtlety was the director trying to communicate?

I guess we were supposed to pretend he was 24 years old. Unless there was something I missed?

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I also wonder why he didn't just say "I have friends waiting for me in Los Angeles. If I don't join them tomorrow they will come looking for me and the first thing they find out is I got off the train in Black Rock and never got back on. I may have my suspicions about what happened to my buddy's old man but it is too late to prove anything. But if I disappear this place will be crawling with cops inside of 2 days".

Last edited:

alsendk

A-List Customer
This place among qualified experts into old movies,seem to be the right place to ask about an american film...only saw it on television, and remember it to be in black and white.
Mel brooks made a version of the original, called: springtime for Hitler, but the original I found even more fun and exiting.
Any idea what it was ? must have been made during the sixties I guess

Last edited:

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
'How I Won The War', directed by Richard Lester and starring future 'Phantom' star, Michael Crawford.
My two personal cult favorites are 'Swell Hogan' and 'The Day the Clown Cried'. And I think the film being discussed above was 'The Producers', in which the two producers are trying to waste some money on a play entitled 'Springtime For Hitler'. -dixon cannon

m0nk

One Too Many
Several from my list have been mentioned already:

Office Space
Blade Runner
Big Trouble in Little China
Austin Powers
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

And a few to add:

Serenity (good sci-fi cult film)
The Thing from Another World (1951)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
The movie, "Meet John Doe" 1941 by Frank Capra. Starring Gary Cooper, Barbara Stanwyck, Walter Brennan, and Edward Arnold.
Imho, one of the most underrated seasonal/Christmas movie. Their are so many layers to this story. Pressure to succeed, white lies for the better good, conflict of idealistic values vs. realistic goals. A must see!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic