Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FL help me design my 'prentice piece

Banky

One of the Regulars
So my bosses have decided that it's time for me to make a hat to showcase that I've actually been listening when I'm taught something. I thought it would be fun to see what FL thought. I'm looking to make an everyday working mans hat. The only aspect of the hat I've settled on for certain is the color. I will be using a Winchester 100% beaver Whiskey colored hood. What do you guys think in terms of brim width, bow, ribbon color, edge treatment? As far as bows go, I'm more practiced with standard bow making, full bows, half bows, shark gills, I'm not great at the crazier Art Fawcett styled bow treatments. So have fun with it guys, give me your opinions. I really want to have fun with this project! I appreciate any and all opinions!

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I must echo Dean's thoughts on the brim. The 2 5/8 can lend itself to something business casual like the stratoliner, but it would also look great on a guy outside doing some manual labor. I really don't see going wrong at all with that brim. I think that Dean's ribbon idea is also great, but I would like to offer up this example from an old Stetson Flagship. I love this ribbon width

Banky

One of the Regulars
An underwelt is interesting. It's not something I've done a great deal of as we don't tend to get much call for them at the shop. I was thinking 2 5/8 as well. I tend to favor 2 3/4 but that may be a bit much for this application.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
The Warfer Edge version of The Flagship would be a true show(-off)-piece. It's not only overwelt and tripple stitched, but the piece that's welted is pounced down in thickness prior to welting. That results in a very "delicious" edge ;)

Banky

One of the Regulars
I'd have to talk to my bosses about that one. it'd be awesome to pull off a wafer edge but it's definitely beyond my abilities.

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
I think something similar to that Flagship would be a good choice... something classic. Then you can go wild like John does. :)

I'd be happy to critique it, if you like. I'm pretty tough. :) Let me know when it's done and I'll come in.

Tom

Banky

One of the Regulars
I'm sure you'll see it Tom. I'll definitely appreciate the critique when I'm done with it. And yeah teach, I might ask anyway as I'm fairly certain nothing like that has been done out of our shop to date.

How interesting and exciting, Reggie. Totally agree with the 2 5/8" brim. Although, it would be cool to see a different take on a Campdraft or OR hat with a nice wide ribbon and a finished ribbon brim to match.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like the idea of a mid-width ribbon like that flagship. If you're going for a versatile everyday working man's hat I think 2 1/2" to 2 5/8" brim, with a ribbon that's only slightly darker than the felt, and probably a bound brim in the same colour. Crown height probably not too high 5-5 1/4", simple centre dent and front pinches.

Take your time and enjoy it!

Edward

Bartender
I'd always be careful about makingb something different for the sake of differnece, but here I'd be thinking of putting in a couple of unusual features just to really own it. The underwelt is nice; I personal also love the look of a really wide ribbon binding on a snap brim - like 3/8" wide, as you'd see on a homberg. As to the ribbon, how about a rear bow? I've only ever seen these no the now long-defunct Disney (not Walt) of New York brand. Would be a nice little touch that makes it your own...

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I'd go for a style similar to one of the classics.

You could do a thin ribbon, OR/Stratoliner style with narrow brim binding or more of a Whippet style with wider ribbon for the crown and brim.

Either of these would be a hat you'd be able to get a ton of use from.

Actually, you should tell your boss that for him to be able to really check your abilities, you need to make 2 hats :)

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
I'm another fan of the underwelt.

Not too difficult to do something subtle on the bow that makes it uniquely yours. Even if you just fold a contrasting colored piece of ribbon into the knot for an accent stripe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou