Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flange uneveness?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have a flange that I want to use to assist me in trimming a brim.

In looking at it last night I noticed that it is not even all around (ignore the shadows).

flange_20180530_061450_500x889.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen a hat with a brim with these proportions - shorter (or longer) in the front (or the back) than the back (or the front).

Why would a flange be made like this?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Esther.

Upon further examination, the shorter end has a much less pronounced break line which would seem to facilitate a more severe brim curl.

I was planning on using it to aid in measuring for a nice even brim cutting. I guess I can build something that will do the job.

EstherWeis

Vendor
Jep, these flanges are ready made with the curl in them. These are used fairly regularly in Europe.
They are often asymmetric, the curve from the front down to curled up in the back will be slightly different on both sides.

This makes for a clean looking brim flange but no option of flipping your brim up or down.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I just found a video that shows what appears to be this tool in action. Now I can see that it cuts based on the edge of the brim, and not out from the brim break.

Now if I can just find one in stock somewhere.

I have a flange that I want to use to assist me in trimming a brim.

In looking at it last night I noticed that it is not even all around (ignore the shadows).

View attachment 120626

I don't think I've ever seen a hat with a brim with these proportions - shorter (or longer) in the front (or the back) than the back (or the front).

Why would a flange be made like this?
In addition to the descriptions EstherWeis wrote, some uneven flanges were purpose built for women's felt hats. They very often have shorter brims in the back and longer (sometimes much longer) brims in the front. We tend to forget now just how much of the hat industry was dedicated to women's felts.......as a quick view of just about any movie from the 40's will soon show........
M

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I hadn't though of that.

I bought the block for the block, not necessarily the flange, which came with it. I don't make hats from scratch so I haven't needed to use the flange. I do brim shaping by hand with steam or water, as the case may be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails