Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VintageEveryday

A-List Customer
Looking for an off the rack hat in this style. Trying to avoid bespoke. Anybody know of any retailers?
1920s-man-scarf-neck-tie-suit-hat-newsboy-1.jpg

MondoFW

Practically Family
I guess the new Champ fedora wasn't enough for you? :D

Kidding, I understand your desire to develop a wide variety of hats to rotate between.
There have been several threads on flat caps, and I think the consensus is that if you want something other than the mundane driver's cap you'll see in today's stores and on today's heads, you'll have to opt for vintage OR bespoke, notably Cordova caps by our own Johnny J (His work is supposedly tremendous. I have yet to order a cap from the gentleman). He walks you through the entire process and is very eager to provide customers with period-accurate styling and materials.

I have been trying to come across a true vintage cap from the 20s/30s. Caps are a little hard to come by, presumably because they were mostly worn by working class men, and they were the most likely to wear out their clothes. That's why I'm going to skip the Goorin Bros. and possibly opt for a Cordova. Good luck with your search on the perfect cap.

Looking for an off the rack hat in this style. Trying to avoid bespoke. Anybody know of any retailers? View attachment 128865

Have you checked out Etsy? I agree that Cordova Hats are exceptional (I don’t own one yet) but they are top of the market: expensive and worth it. However, there are a couple of other makers you need to check out at significantly lower prices:

The Well Dressed Head
Sterkowski

Both are on Etsy. I think The Well Dressed Head has styles you will be interested in.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VintageEveryday

A-List Customer
Have you checked out Etsy? I agree that Cordova Hats are exceptional (I don’t own one yet) but they are top of the market: expensive and worth it. However, there are a couple of other makers you need to check out at significantly lower prices:

The Well Dressed Head
Sterkowski

Both are on Etsy. I think The Well Dressed Head has styles you will be interested in.

Good luck.

Problem is is that $200 for a cap is something I can't do. Lowered prices would be like $75-$100. Which of course isn't bespoke prices at all

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Problem is is that $200 for a cap is something I can't do. Lowered prices would be like $75-$100. Which of course isn't bespoke prices at all

Check the threads Damian Monsavais and a couple others have caps in the price range. Stetson caps are available in the price range. Hats in Belfry has caps in the price range. No specific reccomondation as I have been supporting our bespoke fellows (Cordova, Monsavais, LeBlue and Simmonds).

Eric -

It is not exactly like the picture but Amicharnel (who used to be on Etsy but now has his own website) he is a bespoke hatter and he is much closer in price point to what you seek. I happen to love his work and own 3 caps. Another hatter is Hepville. He used to be on Etsy and I have not done a search for him. His hats are closer to your pic again at a price point you may be able to live with. I own just one of his creations.

It is not exactly like the picture but Amicharnel (who used to be on Etsy but now has his own website) he is a bespoke hatter and he is much closer in price point to what you seek. I happen to love his work and own 3 caps. Another hatter is Hepville. He used to be on Etsy and I have not done a search for him. His hats are closer to your pic again at a price point you may be able to live with. I own just one of his creations.

Wow, I just checked out Amicharnel. I’m placing an order tomorrow. Thanks for the tip. I’m a bit concerned with their sizing, and I might need to call first: the site says XL is a 61-62 (great!) but them they say its equivalent to a US size 7 1/2 to 7 5/8. That sounds like UK sizing, but then they also list UK sizes. A bit confusing, but great prices for Harris Tweed caps with leather sweatbands.

5bea1509d349a2e15e03fb7ccdb066bd.png

Carol at The Hat People located in Talent Oregon.
I'll try to save VintageEveryday a little time. I have three Hat People "Newsboy" caps and I really like them; they're great casual caps that are well made and reasonably priced. But they're styled/cut differently from the cap VE is looking for--shorter brims and eight-panel crowns, while the cap he's looking for has a longer brim and single-panel crown.

@VintageEveryday, I have to agree with what's already been stated--the 1920s-style cap you're looking for just isn't being produced by the modern production cap companies, so the bespoke hatters already mentioned will likely be your only choice.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I know about the caps if you go back several years you will see be and Johnny talking caps here in the lounge. [emoji3] I have hat people caps and they are modern cap designs. I would get a cheap cap and try it out and see if you like wearing a cap. I wear one everyday of the week. I have learned that I like a certain style and a certain quality of a cap. An know who can fulfill my needs. So explore your options. There is a good reason bespoke caps cost money their quality of workmanship is way above today’s factory made caps. As I have purchased them and found that out. [emoji3]

VintageEveryday

A-List Customer
I have multiple caps; I just want to try a true vintage style one :p
I know about the caps if you go back several years you will see be and Johnny talking caps here in the lounge. [emoji3] I have hat people caps and they are modern cap designs. I would get a cheap cap and try it out and see if you like wearing a cap. I wear one everyday of the week. I have learned that I like a certain style and a certain quality of a cap. An know who can fulfill my needs. So explore your options. There is a good reason bespoke caps cost money their quality of workmanship is way above today’s factory made caps. As I have purchased them and found that out. [emoji3]

robrinay

One Too Many
Gamble and Gunn make a tweed Newsboy called ‘the Shelby’ (cashing in on Peaky Blinders?), it’s reasonably priced and available on Amazon UK. I found out about them when I bought an ‘unwanted gift’ one on a car boot last Saturday for £3.00 - size 7 3/4” true to size and it was lightweight and well made but too big for my 7 3/8” head so I gave it to a mate.

Wow, I just checked out Amicharnel. I’m placing an order tomorrow. Thanks for the tip. I’m a bit concerned with their sizing, and I might need to call first: the site says XL is a 61-62 (great!) but them they say its equivalent to a US size 7 1/2 to 7 5/8. That sounds like UK sizing, but then they also list UK sizes. A bit confusing, but great prices for Harris Tweed caps with leather sweatbands.

5bea1509d349a2e15e03fb7ccdb066bd.png

Stewart also uses thick leather inserts into the brims. The leather gives them substance but a malleability that I really like. He will make your cap to order, I think as he did for me, He used to offer a rain resistant liner as well. I have one and up here in this very wet climate I have tested it and it works pretty darn good. I have 8 flat caps although none from the true artisans here in the Lounge. Amicharnels caps are my favourite. I think they offer great value for the money. Solid material and fine workmanship. They may not be fashion forward and really stand out but great workaday caps.

31 Model A

A-List Customer
Not a style made in off the rack and why we worked on getting bespoke cap makers to make this style. I have 20 caps now.

https://etsy.me/2LIvJFL
I have just ordered my first cap from Irina. Great assortment of material to chose from. Thanks for the link, I knew nothing of Bespoke caps or Irina at IDHatShop before now.

Cheers

Last edited:

31 Model A

A-List Customer
I have just ordered my first cap from Irina. Great assortment of material to chose from. Thanks for the link, I knew nothing of Bespoke caps or Irina at IDHatShop before now.

Cheers
My Peaky from Irina arrived today. First class cap!!! In a tweed I've been searching for over a year now. Nothing cheap about the cap, professionally made. Since she adverts both a Peaky and a Blinders, she added a keychain with a miniature razor blade hanging from the chain. I thought was quite nice. her hats are true to size. all my caps are 22 and this one fits like all the others, perfect.

My Peaky from Irina arrived today. First class cap!!! In a tweed I've been searching for over a year now. Nothing cheap about the cap, professionally made. Since she adverts both a Peaky and a Blinders, she added a keychain with a miniature razor blade hanging from the chain. I thought was quite nice. her hats are true to size. all my caps are 22 and this one fits like all the others, perfect.

Photos?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner