Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flatware

Heiko

Familiar Face
Was thinking of getting these:
http://hivemodern.com/pages/product590/iittala-renzo-piano-flatware

590_photo_1_062025.jpg

Anyone have any recommendations?

Really nice stuff. But a C-note (more or less) for each 5-piece place setting, while probably a reasonable price for such things, is waaaay too rich for my blood.

My only recommendation is to check out used furnishings stores and your "better" thrift stores. I found a nice set of 1960s (or possibly '70s) Japanese-made stainless flatware at one such place for like 25 bucks, including a nice wooden case to hold it all.

I'm guessing those in the business call it that to distinguish it from silverware, seeing how it isn't made of silver?

In my home growing up, and in every other home of which I was aware, it was called silverware, which went in a silverware drawer when cleaned and not in use. And I'm guessing that just about every piece of it was made of stainless steel.

I know, seems silly. We call it cutlery in Australia.

Come to think of it, they call the plastic spoons and forks and knives you get in the same aisle in the supermarket as the paper plates and charcoal and whatnot "cutlery" over here as well. Sounds reasonable, I suppose, until you consider that only the knives are actually made for cutting anything.

I understand that at one time plates and other "flat" dining table items also fell into that category. But that was then.

Etymology can make for engrossing conversation.

Heiko

Familiar Face
Well, I call em food shovels. I was just using the term flatware cuz I want to give off an aristocratic aura:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24