Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flight Apparel Industries - major disappointment

JB17COT

Familiar Face
Weel, I just received a Flight Apparel Industries A2 I bought on eBay and… I can’t hide my disappointment… Now, I’m still new to the A2 obsession syndrome compared to most of you (been about a year), and can’t spend on an Aero or ELC and such, or at least not yet… So I thought I’d go for a more budget one. Hesitated to get a US Authentic for a while and then went for the FAI thinking it would be good to own one of those 90’s repros – it was an error. Or perhaps I need to wear the jacket more and see if it grows on me, but I really doubt it.

Bear in mind I’m not too concerned about authenticity and can live with a repro with minor inaccuracies – what bothers me with the jacket is the leather – it’s just gross. It feels really plastic like – almost has a chemical smell for some reason… the smell kind of reminds me of an old 80’s leather car seat. It’s very glossy and somewhat a bit rigid too which adds to the plastic like look… The cut is not too bad – although the sizing is 46, length wise it feels very short still (similar to my size 40 Wested A2) and quite tight around the waste yet feels a bit large around arm pits. Sleeves are a bit large/ long but can live with that. I think I’m just really disappointed with the leather mostly… It’s not clear what it is but I suspect steerhide.

It may come to a shock to most of you but I actually prefer my Wested! The leather (horsehide) feels much nicer, smoother, smells good (like leather should) and does not have this plactic appearance / feel (and smell)… makes me think that actually Wested’s A2 isn’t so bad - if you’re not bothered with accurate reproductions but you just want the ‘style’ of the A2.

I think I’ve also officially realised that I’ve truly been hit by the obsessive bug of the A2 (and M422 to some extend)… it feels like I will forever be searching for the ultimate jacket without ever reaching my goal! I don’t mind so much in a way, I think it’s a rather nice obsession to have, could be much worse!

Cheers

JB

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Well, let us see it on you and see the hide and grain. I've never heard of this outfit so I can't speak from experience, therefore I won't speak to their quality at all. I don't know what you paid so I also can't speak to whether your "expectations" were/are out of line with the price you paid. Some questions..

1. Can you return it?
2. Will they alter it to suit you?
3. Can you give it a couple of weeks, see how it grows on you?

Just askin'. I hope you receive satisfaction.

Worf

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Did you see the Aerial Star thread? They're a start-up company based in N.Y. and their jackets look really nice. Prices are unbelievably reasonable right now.

Sorry about your jacket.
One thing I've learned over the years....nothing is as expensive as cheap.
Seems like every time I've tried to get a less expensive version of something I want I end up not being happy with it and purchasing the more expensive version anyway...having wasted the money on the less expensive version.

You may want to consider keeping your eyes open for a used Good Wear.
I've owned A2's/repro WW2 jackets from many makers...including Aero and Eastman.
I and I think most folks who know A2's will tell you they are the best on the market. They show up not that infrequently in forum classifieds and eBay, generally at a pretty good discount from the new price.
Especially over at the Vintage Leather Jacket forum.

http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/

Good luck.

JB17COT

Familiar Face
Thanks Worf, I'll try to post some pictures some time soon. I paid $300 for it (in the UK). Think they sell for less in the US (around $200 max usually even less). I can't return to the seller, I can always get the alterations done myself but I don't mind the cut too much, more the leather. As you said I should try to give it a few weeks, see if it grows on me... maybe the leather still needs breaking in as the previous owner didn't wear it much apparently.

Some info from the forum on FAI: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?40102-Flight-Apparel-Industries

The jacket is a repro based on a Poughkeepsie contract no W535 AC 28560 (as per the label).

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Did you see the Aerial Star thread? They're a start-up company based in N.Y. and their jackets look really nice. Prices are unbelievably reasonable right now.

Oh are they the SAME company???? Didn't know I thought they were just Aerial Star! Well, hope it all boils down to "teething pains".

Disregard... the above. I've got it sussed out now. Silly me

Worf

Last edited:

JB17COT

Familiar Face

Never heard of them but will go check out the thread! Just saw the website and the jackets do look really nice. Thanks!

JB17COT

Familiar Face
Sorry about your jacket.
Seems like every time I've tried to get a less expensive version of something I want I end up not being happy with it and purchasing the more expensive version anyway...having wasted the money on the less expensive version.

You may want to consider keeping your eyes open for a used Good Wear.
I've owned A2's/repro WW2 jackets from many makers...including Aero and Eastman.
I and I think most folks who know A2's will tell you they are the best on the market. They show up not that infrequently in forum classifieds and eBay, generally at a pretty good discount from the new price.
Especially over at the Vintage Leather Jacket forum.

Good luck.

I've been trying to avoid getting sucked in the more expensive brands... so far... but I think I'll inevitably end up going that route! Thanks

Pays your money, takes your chances.

If nothing else this forum teaches us again and again that it's just not worth buying a mid-range alternative for what we actually want/need. It's just money down the toilet, then good money after bad getting alterations on a sub-standard jacket.

Just save for longer, deal with not having a leather jacket, and buy the good one when you've saved enough.

Most of us started this way, and learn as Jeff and Baron said, to avoid cheap - because it ain't.
Sorry to hear of your disappointment, I know the feeling, so take the above advice. You'll be glad you did.
Good luck...

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
I had a Flight apparel Industries A-2 a couple of years ago. It was extremely tapered at the waist. I don't have a big gut but it was way too tight. The collar was the hugest out of any A-2 style jacket I've owned. The company went out of business when it's founder died in a plane crash. http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?40102-Flight-Apparel-Industries

archbury918

One of the Regulars
JB,
sorry to hear of the disappointment. As has been said many times here, the learning curve costs as much in mistakes than to have bought right the first time.
I certainly don't mean in any way to rub salt into this.
I only know of FAI as making knock offs of our more recent USAF flight jackets. I didn't know they went into leather. I'm not impressed with the nylon jackets so can expect the same from an A-2.

If ebay is your main vehicle for search and staying under $250 USD, I recommend the early Avirex and Flight Suits LTD (now Gibson & Barnes).
Also Protech out of Massachusetts. In the late 80's they made some pretty good and authentic jackets. Mostly goatskin, I've still got some of their earliest offerings in my closet.

It takes some hunting, but I still regularly see some very good buys. That is if size 44 and under are what your looking for. Anything larger in used is like 'hen's teeth'.
I don't mind helping you look if I get some idea of what you need. My buddies regularly have me scrounge up deals for them.

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
Sorry about your jacket.

Good luck.

Amen to that! My gradmother always used to tell me (different language) that it takes a lot of money to buy cheap. I've learned to either purchase premium quality at a premium price or not to purchase at all, the lower/middle of the road items aren't worth it anyway. The joy of owning a quality product for many years will remain long after the sticker shock has passed.

About Eastman: I can't say anything about the quality of their products as I don't own one but what i can say for sure is that I sent them a mail with a couple of questions a week back and they can't be *rsed to asnwer it so I'll take a pass on them.

blazerbud

One of the Regulars
You maybe could have picked up an Aero during the latest summer sale. Too Bad you missed it. They had stuff in the $300 range to $400 range.

pjman

Familiar Face
RE: your Flight Apparel Industries disappointment

Sorry to hear of your displeasure with your FAI A-2, but the company did make some good G-2 jackets. I bought one of their G-2's a couple of years ago, and couldn't be happier. It's a very authentic, well-made jacket, with supple goatskin and a beautiful light rust-colored mouton collar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran