Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flightsuits A-2 Sizing and Alpha and US Wings

kevinblack

New in Town
Hi,

Apologies if this is a bit long winded.

I recently contacted Flightsuits for one of their clearance items (A-2 Civil), but was told that the list is well out of date even though they say it is updated each Monday. It was a size 46. I have read in the forum that Flightsuits are a very generous fit and elsewhere that they are a true to size so I'm confused.

I have an Alpha CWU-45/P in XL which fits fine (maybe a little short, but in a light acft this is how it should be). XL is the US is 46-48. I'm 53, overweightish (98kg) 5'10" with the middle aged spare tyre. I don't want a jacket designed for 22 year old fighter pilots. I want one that has a 'comforatble' fit.

I'm thinking the 48 is probably a better deal for me, any advice regarding the Flightsuits fit greatly appreciated (especially the A-2 Civil in Goatskin).

I'm also considering an Alpha CWU-45/P leather. I'm assuming the XL in leather is about the same as the XL in Nylon. I don't see this jacket mentioned here (not wishing to offend the A-2 officianados). Anyone have experience with these?

My third option is US Wings and I'm considering in order:

Signature series A2 2000
Cowhide VIP
Cowhide VIP with zip out lining
A2 Antique Lambskin

The fit of the first 3 is Normal, the fit of the lambskin is full cut. I'm erring on the side of full cut in XL, but I've hear lambskin isn't durable (how durable does a leather jacket need to be?).

Any advice regarding the fit (normal and full cut XL) of US Wings appreciated.

Thanks guys.....
Kevin

bfrench

Familiar Face
kevinblack said:
Hi,

Apologies if this is a bit long winded.

I recently contacted Flightsuits for one of their clearance items (A-2 Civil), but was told that the list is well out of date even though they say it is updated each Monday. It was a size 46. I have read in the forum that Flightsuits are a very generous fit and elsewhere that they are a true to size so I'm confused.

I have an Alpha CWU-45/P in XL which fits fine (maybe a little short, but in a light acft this is how it should be). XL is the US is 46-48. I'm 53, overweightish (98kg) 5'10" with the middle aged spare tyre. I don't want a jacket designed for 22 year old fighter pilots. I want one that has a 'comforatble' fit.

I'm thinking the 48 is probably a better deal for me, any advice regarding the Flightsuits fit greatly appreciated (especially the A-2 Civil in Goatskin).

I'm also considering an Alpha CWU-45/P leather. I'm assuming the XL in leather is about the same as the XL in Nylon. I don't see this jacket mentioned here (not wishing to offend the A-2 officianados). Anyone have experience with these?

My third option is US Wings and I'm considering in order:

Signature series A2 2000
Cowhide VIP
Cowhide VIP with zip out lining
A2 Antique Lambskin

The fit of the first 3 is Normal, the fit of the lambskin is full cut. I'm erring on the side of full cut in XL, but I've hear lambskin isn't durable (how durable does a leather jacket need to be?).

Any advice regarding the fit (normal and full cut XL) of US Wings appreciated.

Thanks guys.....
Kevin

Hi, Kevin,

I'm 5'10" and weigh about 240 lbs (110 K) and the Flight Suits A-2s and G-1s fit fine.

They're made a little large - the 46 measures 28" armpit to armpit and 24" at the waist just above the wool waistband.

I'm long waisted and wear a long body and regular length arms - to give you and idea I have a 29" inseam.

Their russet goat skin is superb and some of the old timers say the russet color is a dead on match - the horsehide has a heavy finish which takes a while to break in.

Their M-422a - navy jacket - is a generic jacket based on several models and is also a good bargain with very acceptable leather.

Bill French

kevinblack

New in Town
Bill,

Many thanks. One point I'm not exactly clear on. Do you have the 46" or 48". With my chest expanded (ie. take a deep breath) I'm 46" around the chest (probably close to that around my gut -sigh).

I got the impression from the Flightsuits reply I had the impression they were leaning towards 48", whaddya think? BTW I'm in Australia, so I need to get it right if possible first time (andon clearance items, if they ever have any, you take what's there).

My leaning is to an A-2 Civil, Goatskin, probably in seal, size 48"?

Many thanks,
Kevin

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Agree with Bill on the sizing. I normally take a 42 in Repro A2s but I took a 38 in the Flight Suits. So they do run about 10 inches over the size so a 46 would be about 56 around. So probably a 46 should work. I would email them and ask. Make sure you have some measurements for them to work with.

bfrench

Familiar Face
kevinblack said:
Bill,

Many thanks. One point I'm not exactly clear on. Do you have the 46" or 48". With my chest expanded (ie. take a deep breath) I'm 46" around the chest (probably close to that around my gut -sigh).

I got the impression from the Flightsuits reply I had the impression they were leaning towards 48", whaddya think? BTW I'm in Australia, so I need to get it right if possible first time (andon clearance items, if they ever have any, you take what's there).

My leaning is to an A-2 Civil, Goatskin, probably in seal, size 48"?

Many thanks,
Kevin

Hi, Kevin,

Goto Flight Suits measurement page -

http://www.flightsuits.com/info_measure.html

Print the page and go to a tailor and have him take exacting measurements.

Then when you talk to FS they'll be better able to fit your needs.

But to me - with a 48" chest - I wear a size 46 A-2 / G-1 / M-422a

Bill French

kevinblack

New in Town
Bill,

Priceless, that's exactly the sort of info I need. At least with a 46" chest, a 46" jacket will not be too small, maybe a little on the largish size. Sooner a little on the largeish side rather that than a straight-jacket fit. But the 48" sounds like it would have the fit of a large garbage bag.

I'll do the measuring thing as well, good advice.....

Thanks,
Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24