Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flowers In My Hair: Style and Etiquette

dangerouslyred

New in Town
ok, i was wearing my red rose in my hair the other day and this elderly lady told me that in the 40s that if a lady wore a flower in her hair it meant she was single and available? hmmmm i was just wondering if anyone else has heard of this:)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hmm.. I can't wait to hear the replies to this one! Guess that's no more flowers for me, lol!
Nikki

Brandy

New in Town
If a young lady wore a flower on the right side of her hair or a ribbon tied to her right wrist, that meant she was single.

If she wore it to the left, then she was taken.

Emblaze

Familiar Face
There's a line in The Sorcerer by Gilbert and Sullivan where a woman sings "Love me! I'll wear sunflowers in my hair!" Not quite the same era, but that's what I thought of.

(The reply is "Hate me! They'll suit you not", by the way, so maybe flowers are not the most effective way of catching a man!)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
YEah, worn on the left, taken, on the right, single. Im left handed, so I wear all my flowers on the left :rolleyes: but Im single, maybe thats why...

Naw, modern day gents dont know that about flowers lol

LD

Stephy Wilecat

New in Town
To make it obvious, I think I should start putting whole bouquets on the right side of my head.

They can't miss it hahaha.

I usually put flowers on the right side of my hair anyway because my hair parts on the right and is brushed to the left.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
A few season ago on American Idol, when the girl form Hawaii was in the top 12, she let the world know the meaning of the flower on the right and left side of the head.
I had totally forgot about that until now. When I wear flowers in my hair, I need to either wear them on both sides (really confuse a guy...lol) or make sure its just on the single side!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I typically favor the right side, but it depends on which side I part my hair on (which may depend on whether or not I'm trying to hide a blemish :). I usually wear a flower on the same side I've parted my hair on. Or, I'll wear the flower in the back and place it wherever my hairstyle needs some evening out or I need to hide a screwup.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Miss Brill said:
But do modern men know the language of hair flowers?
Some of us do! In the Pacific islands, the wearing of flowers in the hair indicates whether a woman is single or not. Just as indicated in other posts here, if the flower is worn on the right side the lady is single & available. If worn on the left side (over the heart), she is taken.

I'm in favor of seeing more ladies with flowers in their hair.

Elle

New in Town
My Hawaiian rule of thumb...left side like a wedding ring.

People always try to tell me I'm wrong but they could be trying to annoy me. Anyway, as long as everyone here knows which side means what then its okay.

And, I know nothing about roses meaning anything. I hope not, though. They're my favorite to wear.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Roses

- Red
Sincere Love & Respect, Courage & Passion

Send red roses to convey the message of your passionate love for that someone; saying "I love you"

- Pink
Grace and Gentility, the rose of sweet thoughts.

Send deep pink roses to show your appreciation & gratitude; saying "Thank you" Send light pink roses to convey admiration and sympathy

- Yellow
In the Victorian times, yellow roses meant jealousy. But today, they signify friendship, joy, gladness and freedom, the promise of a new beginning.

Send yellow roses to brighten up someone's day; to congratulate your friends and loved ones during Joyous occasions.

- White
Spiritual love & Purity, the rose of confession, the bridal rose; "You are heavenly", "I am worthy of you"

Commonly used as traditional bridal bouquet during weddings to symbolize a happy love. You can nevertheless use them to convey the message of "You are heavenly, I miss you"

- Lavender
Love at first sight and enchantment

Send lavender roses of course, to convey the message of your "love at first sight" with that special someone. You can nevertheless also send them if you would like to make a special impression.

- Orange
Passionate desire, pure enthusiasm and fascination

An excellent choice for a new relationship that you wish to pursue further. It can nevertheless also be referring to a new business partnership.

$ally

One Too Many
Hair flowers in autumn?

I have a matching flower clip and flowered snood that would color coordinate with a fall outfit perfectly, but I've always felt that tropical flowers should be limited to summer. What do you gals think? Tacky or OK?

$ally

One Too Many
Medium, muted green lilies that match a fall fabric I'm using. The idea of lily in autumn is messing me up.

$ally

One Too Many
I suppose you are right. The vintage fabric has a wheat pattern though. I look at the lilies, think luau, and start to short circuit.
I'm actually on overload about other deeper issues and it's coming out as a shallow fashion crisis. ;)
===
I just laid the whole whole ensemble out again and decided it rubs me the wrong way. It's funny that I'd feel comfortable wearing my handmade repro dress of vintage drapery fabric, but can't handle wearing tropical flowers with a wheat design in autumn. That's my set of standards I stick to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran