Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

Yamahana

One Too Many

lina

Practically Family
Decided to pull the trigger on a pair of Alden "Roy" boots. The Roy boot was first offered by the Wisconsin store Context Clothing, as a special make up from Alden (makers of the famous Indy Boots). Context is out of business, but looks like Alden Madison in NY offers the same make up on occasion. Have been thinking I would like a pair of more comfortable boots for walking than my regular Chippewas and White's, so opened up the wallet for these. They are surely not work boots, with a crepe sole and leather toe tap, as well CXL leather, but they look heritage-y enough and should be comfy. I am looking forward to putting some wear on them.

roy boots 1.jpg roy boots 2.jpg

lina

Practically Family
A prompt update: I've been wearing these for the past three days, and I have to say that they are incredibly comfortable. The crepe soles really make a big difference. They will no doubt wear down pretty quickly, but to my mind the comfort factor makes it worthwhile. The boots are not cheap, but if you are looking for a "sneaker boot," these seem to me to be about as close as you get while still counting as "boots."

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Decided to pull the trigger on a pair of Alden "Roy" boots. The Roy boot was first offered by the Wisconsin store Context Clothing, as a special make up from Alden (makers of the famous Indy Boots). Context is out of business, but looks like Alden Madison in NY offers the same make up on occasion. Have been thinking I would like a pair of more comfortable boots for walking than my regular Chippewas and White's, so opened up the wallet for these. They are surely not work boots, with a crepe sole and leather toe tap, as well CXL leather, but they look heritage-y enough and should be comfy. I am looking forward to putting some wear on them.

View attachment 608510 View attachment 608511

I think these still very much count as work boots; the crepe sole won't grip onto slippery surfaces the way a commando sole will, however it adds to the overall sense of support and shock distribution. It's true that they don't have a reinforced toe cap, however those are suboptimal for some kinds of work.

lina

Practically Family
I think these still very much count as work boots; the crepe sole won't grip onto slippery surfaces the way a commando sole will, however it adds to the overall sense of support and shock distribution. It's true that they don't have a reinforced toe cap, however those are suboptimal for some kinds of work.
Good point. When I was growing up in the 1970s, my mom worked on the line at the Westinghouse factory and the hardest part of job was standing on her feet all day. These would’ve been perfect for that sort of factory work. (although they would’ve cost her probably two months salary!)

Aloysius

Good point. When I was growing up in the 1970s, my mom worked on the line at the Westinghouse factory and the hardest part of job was standing on her feet all day. These would’ve been perfect for that sort of factory work. (although they would’ve cost her probably two months salary!)

I'm sure you're familiar with the backstory of how the 403 boot came to be the Indy boot. Not dissimilar.

lina

Practically Family
I'm sure you're familiar with the backstory of how the 403 boot came to be the Indy boot. Not dissimilar.
Do you mean the original, the 405 I believe..? Yes, and I always liked that before Harrison Ford wore them for the movie they had for decades been marketed by Alden as "the high work shoe." That seems about right to me.

Aloysius

Do you mean the original, the 405 I believe..? Yes, and I always liked that before Harrison Ford wore them for the movie they had for decades been marketed by Alden as "the high work shoe." That seems about right to me.

I’m likely mixing up the model number, but yeah. The costumers had brought out a number of boots, none of which were sufficiently supportive, but his existing work boots from carpentry were just right.

Edward

Bartender
I just received my second pair Chausser button boots, now in a reddish brown two tone. They're really versatile as they go great with both casual and formal outfits.

View attachment 607997 View attachment 607998 View attachment 607999 View attachment 608000 View attachment 608001 View attachment 608002 View attachment 608003

Lovely shape to these. Some day I'd love something like this with a suede top half for full formal daywear.

Those are Rockabilly Kool! They’re known as Pee Wee boots.

did the 'PeeWee' appellation come about because part of Acme's drive to make fancier boots available production line - and therefore affordably - during the Western boom of the 50s inevitably included selling a lot of them in kids' sizes? There's one model they did with a Maltese cross I wish someone would repop (chiefly as that was what Meatloaf wore in the Rocky Horror Picture Show). I've seen one or two pairs online over the years, but never in adult sizes. (I expect all the adult size ones were worn to death.)

View attachment 608510 View attachment 608511

Interesting sole - is that a leather section at the toe?

A prompt update: I've been wearing these for the past three days, and I have to say that they are incredibly comfortable. The crepe soles really make a big difference. They will no doubt wear down pretty quickly, but to my mind the comfort factor makes it worthwhile. The boots are not cheap, but if you are looking for a "sneaker boot," these seem to me to be about as close as you get while still counting as "boots."

Great option for that. Looks replaceable, too, which is always worth doing on a quality boot when comes the time.

Definitely horses for courses. When I worked in a hardware / building supplies store during my university years, I always wore a pair of steel toecap boots. Saved my foot from a serious breakage the day an old, heavy wooden counter drawer ran right off its rails and dropped out on my foot, but when I wasn't running those sorts of risks they definitely were kicked off outside of work in the hot weather.

I’m likely mixing up the model number, but yeah. The costumers had brought out a number of boots, none of which were sufficiently supportive, but his existing work boots from carpentry were just right.

Yip. As I recollect, they originally planned to put Indy in RedWings, but Ford asked for the Aldens with which he was familiar. Seems funny now to imagine Indy in a pair of Iron Rangers...

lina

Practically Family
Interesting sole - is that a leather section at the toe?
Yes, leather toe taps -- slightly odd in that with leather soles people often have metal toe taps installed to prevent wear. I assume it was more of an aesthetic choice than a functional one. But it'll be interesting to see how long they last, and how they hold up compared to the rubber sole.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, leather toe taps -- slightly odd in that with leather soles people often have metal toe taps installed to prevent wear. I assume it was more of an aesthetic choice than a functional one. But it'll be interesting to see how long they last, and how they hold up compared to the rubber sole.

I'd expect them to wear rather slower than a crepe sole. Could be as you say an aesthetic choice as much as anything - it certainly does look cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner