Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For all you Masons

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
RBH said:
Here in the States it is common for the Master of the Lodge to wear a hat while officiating over the lodge.The other members go hatless.
My comment was there was a time when British Masters of the Lodge wore top hats. Or that was what I was led to believe.

I don't know who led you to believe this. UGLE Craft lodges are hatless.

Alan

Jeff Naylor

New in Town
Aerol said:
the WM wears a tux and a top hat. For degree work the whole team is formal.

All members of my lodge wear dinner jackets to all meetings, the Master wears the hat of his choice. I wore a top hat.

We occasionally have Saturday morning degree work, I generally wear a morning suit.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
In Sydney a friend of mine saw a whole group of older (80+) Masons attending a big function in the Sydney Centrre in Goulburn St and these guys were all wearing dinner suits with the appropriate bag in hand.

Teekay44

One of the Regulars
PA lodge

I belong to the second oldest lodge in PA #43. The WM wears a top hat in the lodge I belong to or in all that I have visited. When we are at work of course.;)

Fraternally

Teekay

RBH

Bartender
A little info I came across

Maybe this will add to the 'light'

MASONIC ETIQUETTE
This from a Short Talk bulletin by
J. Kirk Nicholson, Jr., PGM, Georgia
Regarding a Worshipful Master’s Hat:
again we should think of good taste. A cap (golf, hunting, etc.) flop hat, or red plaid hat is inappropriate. A Master would never wish to wear any type hat that would distract from the dignity of the office.
The Worshipful Master should remove his hat only (l) for the Grand Master in person; (2) during prayer; (3) when giving the obligations when the name of Deity is spoken and (4) if a funeral is held in a church or chapel.
The hat is not the personal property of the Master but belongs to the lodge and is an emblem of the Master’s authority.

and here is a some what long talk that suggest at one time hats were worn in the English lodges.

..Oliver as a historian is open to question; certainly hats are not generally worn by Masters in England now. But this quotation indicates that English Masters formerly did, which is born out by some notable exceptions of today; Bristol, for instance and Lodge Newstead, 47, in the Province of Nottingham, where the Master wears a silk hat at Lodge ceremonies. In the Royal Sussex Lodge of Hospitality (Bristol) the Master carries (not wears) a cocked hat into the Lodge room. In Lodge Maria the transfer of the hat from outgoing to incoming Master has for many years been a part of Installation. ..
.http://www.la-mason.com/stb15.htm

And this from http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/the_builder_1926_april.htm
The Builder Magazine
April 1926 - Volume XII - Number 4

THE MASTER'S HAT
The question has arisen in my lodge as to whether or not the Master should wear his hat while conducting a funeral service in a house or church. I claim it is proper as the lodge is at labor and a Past Master claims it is bad taste. Can you throw any light on this question?
C. N. M. New Jersey.
In answer to your question regarding the propriety of the Worshipful Master wearing his hat when engaged in conducting a funeral service in a house or church, it is necessary to say in the first place that the custom of the Master wearing his hat at all is not universal. It has almost entirely, if not completely, disappeared in England; and I believe that in quite a number of jurisdictions in this country it is no longer followed. However, I am convinced that it is an old custom, at least as old as the beginning of Grand Lodge Freemasonry, that is to say going back to 1717 or thereabouts. In some lodges the custom is as follows: When the funeral takes place in the church, the respect due to a place of worship is held to override the Masonic custom, and the Master while in the body of the church remains uncovered. If the funeral is in the house the Master removes his hat on entering the house and remains uncovered until he actually begins the ceremonies which are conducted in the house are concluded, when he again removes it. This seems to be a very appropriate compromise. Of course the Master should always remove his hat in any case whenever the name of God is mentioned, or a prayer being offered, or any passage of the scripture is being read; and this is equally true of course in the lodge as well as out of it.

As a side note I ran across this Masonic Trivia ...
Panama Hats did not come from Panama! They were introduced by Bro. Eloy Alfaro, (1842-1912), Ecuadorian Liberator and President. While exiled in Panama, he imported the Ecuador-Made Toquilla Hats, which he sold in great numbers to travelers, who presumed they were a product of Panama!
I have no idea if it is true, what about anyone else?

Jeff Naylor

New in Town
RBH said:
:eek:fftopic:
Welcome to the Lounge Brother Jeff Naylor !

wave.gif

Long time lurker, first time poster.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Nice to see so many Masons here!

While reading through old threads I came across this one and wanted to say hello to all the Masons out there, as I too am one. I've not sat in the East yet but if and when the time comes I'll have a lot of lids to pick from on Lodge night! Birds of a feather really do flock together...;)

DblCoronaMS

One of the Regulars
Several years ago I became an EA but a baby and other obligations got in the way, then Hurricane Katrina shook everything up. Of late I've really felt the call to get back and continue my Masonic education. It's good to see so many of us here.

Don

Lamont Cranston

New in Town
taught to be cautious

I am a Past Master of Queen Anne Lodge #242 in Seattle.
By tradition in our Lodge the Worshipful Master wears a top hat.
At one time all members wore tuxedos in Lodge, and on some occasions white tie and tails.

Over time it has become less formal and only the officers wear the tux.

In my year in the East I wore white tie and tails as it was my will and pleasure.

for many years I was on a degree team for the first degree.
I was in the East and obligated the candidate.
I wore the tails for the degree. It made an impression on the candidate when he was first brought to light in Masonry to see the brethren formally attired for an auspicious occasion.
The formal attire helped to raise the proficiency of the floor work.
I believe the first degree is the most important.

W.B.LC

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
ClayBob said:
Baron, The East is where the chief presiding officer (Worshipful Master) is stationed in a Masonic Lodge. Masonic Lodges are set up as representations of King Solomon's Temple. The East represents the East Gate of the Temple, the West represents The West Gate, and The South represents the South gate.The three principal officers in a lodge are:

1. The Worshipful Master (sits in the East)
2. The Sr. Warden (sits in the West)
3.The Jr. Warden (sits in the south).

The North is rarely significantly represented as no light ever really filtered in from the Northern direction of the original Temple. Masons are always in search of light. Think how the sun moves throughout the day East, South, and West. Hope this helps you understand a bit better..

Yes, The Worshipful Master seves as the chief presiding officer in the Lodge and his station is located in the East. It depends on the state or jurisdiction he lives in as to what is considered proper attire. I am Master of my Lodge this year and the only head gear not allowed is a cap (unless part of an official uniform,military etc...). I wear a Grey Stetson Fedora for business meetings and an Open Road with a Cattleman's bash for degree work and special communications. As posted above some jurisdictions mandate formal dress ie a Tux and Tophat. If a Fedora is acceptable in his Lodge I am certain that your Dad will feel honored if you presented him with it and would wear it proudly on Lodge night(s). If you present it to him in the manner you described he will know exactly what you mean. Also, the location of the Master's chair is no secret at all. In the jurisdiction I live in many men have served in the East more than once throughout their Masonic journey, but again it may well depend upon what state he resides in as to the laws governing this. Don't be shy about asking your Dad any questions you have regarding Masonry, he isn't going to reveal anything he shouldn't and will probably appreciate your curiousity and interest. Contrary to popular belief very few things about the Fraternity are truly a secret anyway.

P.S. If you Google Grand Lodge of (insert the State your Dad resides in) and shoot them an email they could tell you what the dress requirements are there as well as answer any other questions you may have.

I believe it's also true that past Masters can be asked to temporarily officiate in the absence of the the WM, and wear their own chapeau while doing so. Does that sound correct to any of you old timers? I have only just completed my FC at Lodge #25 Rapid City.

Regards, Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff