Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For Ladies - Belt or Suspenders?

Edward

Bartender
For me (as you say gentlemen can contribute!), it's all about what works best with a particular outfit. and yes, I agree with the above, that if the wearer has a substantial midsection, braces can be more flattering.

(I'm always childishly amused when this comes up - over this side of the pond, suspenders are what you call garters, and what you call suspenders, we call braces. :) ).

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
For me (as you say gentlemen can contribute!), it's all about what works best with a particular outfit. and yes, I agree with the above, that if the wearer has a substantial midsection, braces can be more flattering.

I agree with Edward - it really depends on the outfit and the look the gent is going for!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Personally I like them both, but I think because suspenders are just that much "rarer"... it gives it the extra rawr factor. If worn right. :)

Edward

Bartender
Here's another issue.... a lot depends on how you wear a shirt. With a suit, only an absolute cretin would wear a shirt hanging out, but with jeans and say a bowling shirt, or a Hawaiian or a loop neck or whatever which is cut to be worn over the trousers, braces are less practical, unless I suppose you wear them below the shirt, but then they could chafe and (if you worry about this sort of thing) other folks might see the lines and think you're wearing a bra.... :p ).

Empyrium

One of the Regulars
BegintheBeguine said:
I'll need to see examples of you in each to decide, Empyrium. Pictures, as I don't have a passport.

oh sorry, no pics, i was asking your opinion and then decide if i buy it or not:)

Edward, i want to wear it with a suit like many others in this forum:rolleyes:

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
both

I have both. Tend to wear a belt more with flat or plain front. And suspenders with pleated fronts. The aforementioned statment is more when wearing a tie. Since most of the week is business casual, no tie, wear a belt no matter what style of slacks I am wearing.

Since all my suits have pleated slacks, I always wear suspenders.

Edward

Bartender
Empyrium said:
Edward, i want to wear it with a suit like many others in this forum:rolleyes:

Gotcha, then it's definitely a tucked in affair..... so thast leaves either....

Would time period be a part of it too? Are braces more common in the 30s, belts in the fifties kinda thing?

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
LolitaHaze said:
Personally I like them both, but I think because suspenders are just that much "rarer"... it gives it the extra rawr factor. If worn right. :)

Well said, Lo.

Either is nice, but suspenders definitely make me look twice. :)

Rooster

Practically Family
Jovan said:
No love for the side adjusters. :( I'm hopelessly outmatched here, L.O.L.
Side adjusters are fine, if you have a waist. Give yourself about 30 years and see how you like them.;)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Another vote for suspenders--I see them so seldom and they add a nice vintagey feel. That said, there are some awfully nice deco belt buckles out there too...

Empyrium

One of the Regulars
imoldfashioned said:
Another vote for suspenders--I see them so seldom and they add a nice vintagey feel. That said, there are some awfully nice deco belt buckles out there too...

:) this is the idea...a vintage feel...
if you want a vintage look you have to wear suspenders anyhow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925