Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FOR SALE - Early 1930's John J Hayes "The Ridgeland" Homburg SIZE 7 1/2

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
For sale is a really cool homburg. Its a hat from the John J. Hayes Store For Men in Chicago. The model name is "The Ridgeland." There's quite a few neat things about this hat. First off, its extremely rare. I have never seen another John J. Hayes hat, though there might be some floating around the lounge. Even if there are, there is less than a handful of them. I did a search and could find nothing about the mens store except for a picture of a matchbook with the company logo and their locations. Every search I have done for ads and other pictures of their hats has turned up empty. They did have a store in the Palmer House so it tells me this must have been an upscale mens store.

There's some very interesting details about the hat. I can not tell weather its a very very very dark blue or black. In some lights it appears pitch black and in others it appears like a very dark navy blue. I honestly can't tell weather its one or the other. The pictures make it appear black, so that's what I'm going with. The brim only measures 2 1/4 inches wide (counting the curl), which is short for most homburgs but falls right in line with the style trends of the early 30's where the most popular fedora brim size was 2 1/4. The sweatband is unreeded and is very sturdy. There's only a couple popped stitches, but the rest appear to be holding strong. The sweatband is also still pliable.

I think the best feature about this hat is the crown profile. The sides are perfectly straight and the top is perfectly flat. The crown only measures between 5 3/8 - 5 1/2 inches tall but because the top is so flat, you do not need to use a deep center dent in order to "square" the crown down. Many hats with rounder crowns, need deeper center dents in order to crease the hat down to the point that the sides "square up." This to me is the perfect crown profile for a homburg.

The felt is beautifully finished, and winged bow is fantastically done with frayed edges.

I'm asking $150 SHIPPED to anywhere in the CONUS.

CROWN: 5 3/8 - 5 1/2 inches tall

BRIM: 2 1/4 inches wide (curled)

RIBBON: 2 inches wide

***MATCHBOOK NOT INCLUDED (I don't own it)

t_il_chicago_hayes_48971_zps19536978.jpg

DSC08429_zpsdc9b7ff8.jpg

DSC08431_zpsfb12392a.jpg

DSC08433_zps37843241.jpg

DSC08424_zps1772823f.jpg

DSC08420_zpscf6854d0.jpg

DSC08423_zpsaa582149.jpg

DSC08428_zpsf14d1635.jpg

DSC08435_zpsc114eee9.jpg

DSC08439_zpsca2bce4b.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics