Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For winter wear... Duffle Coat or D1/B6?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Looking for something "stylish" for office winter wear. I'm torn between an English Duffle Coat or a sheepskin D1/B6. I know what brands of D1/B6's I'm interested in but I've no experience with good English Duffles. Any guidance would be GREATLY appreciated.

Worf

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Worf, there is a huge thread about duffle coats
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...T-BRITISH-DUFFEL-COAT-thread&highlight=duffle
I like duffel coats quite a bit. I have a Brooks Brothers duffle coat in brown moleskin (not nearly as nice as a proper English duffle) and I really like it. I live in Albany and I find it keeps me quite warm. In addition, chicks dig the duffle coat! I get more compliments from ladies when wearing my duffle coat than any other coat.

normanf

One of the Regulars
I'd go for a NB-3 parka or its more trim cousin the NB-2.

Both are lighter and warmer than a B-6 and they're not as heavy to move around in.

Keep an eye out on ebay Worf. I know one guy that sells the Schott duffles at good prices almost every year. I've come close, but never got one. The hood is the part that I'm not really excited about. On some, I think they're removable?

JanSolo

Practically Family
If you don't like the hood but still want a high quality vintage styled duffle coat I can recommend the Nigel Cabourn version. A beautiful, well made, and heavy coat. Not cheap but probably well worth the money:

- 800gr fabric weight per metre
- very dark navy
- real horn toggles
- leather loops

20811_1.jpg

20811_3.jpg

Edward

Bartender
THat is nice, Jan.

I've not worn a duffle coat since about 1984.... They were a staple of my childhood (for whatever reason, I never had a snorkel parka, though seeing them on other kids is one of my strongest clothing-associated memories of the early Eighties). Dropped them when I was twelve and the idea of wearing a hood (this some years before I got into hats) was just not on. Still not a fan of hoods now (for the reason that they get in the way of the hats...), but I really like the look of that one above...

While the stereotypical duffle coat, at least here in the UK, is the one with the hood as beloved of Sixties student radicals, I believe the hood was removable on at least some of the original military items.

If it's for office wear, I might be more inclined to the longer duffle coat as that is more flexible in terms of what it can be worn over. IMO, the short, sheepskin bomber jacket type is fine over a shirt and tie or sweater, but not appropriate for over a blazer / suit jacket, should the be something you'd need to wear (mind you, you'd be bang on trend - Burberry's latest catwalk show had men wearing an A2-like tweed jacket with knits over the top of a suit. Looked ridiculous, of course, but the fashion types loved it). If it had to be one or the other, I'd go with the duffle.

Jan, that hits it on the head! Gorgeous, but I have not looked at the price yet as to keep that out of my head for now :) . I love that design. Should have gone to you first. Thanks for posting. I hope you are well - I know you're busy.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Shackleton never would've made it anywhere if he had to outfit his crew via Mr. Cabourn. LOL. But I must admit his stuff is quite beautiful even though Barney's New York has nothing (and I've been there) that would ever fit me.

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I think I've scored a Loden Green, Gloverall Duffle in my size. I'll let you kow. I just needed something a bit less "armored" than Carhart when getting to work on snowy days, if you catch my drift...

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW