• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Forgotten Advertising Characters of the Era

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by LizzieMaine, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Looking at this ad made me yawn. Twice. o_O

vitanola likes this.
  2. BlueTrain

BlueTrain One Too Many

I thought he appeared in ads for Kelly Springfield tires. "When it's time to retire."

3. Nope, Kelly was "Miss Lotta Miles." The Fisk Boy was still getting occasional use into the 60s, but Fisk was absorbed into Uniroyal, and they finally put him to bed.

vitanola likes this.
  4. A cross post from the historic train thread. NYC ran a line of historic subway cars today and there was vintage advertising on them as well. Knowing Lizzie's a fan of Uneeda biscuits, I took this pic for her (there are a bunch more subway pics from today over in the historic train thread):

IMG_4544.JPG

Zombie_61, 3fingers and vitanola like this.
  5. Spectacular! And we could say that "car cards" of the type that fit into those runners at the top of the car are another vintage thing that has disappeared in our lifetime.

3fingers and vitanola like this.
  6. Took it just for you.

Check out the other pics over in the train thread - I think you'll like them.

Also, oddly, NYC still has those car cards and runners, but I could see them loosing out to digital screens in the future. Today, even with screen prices plummeting, it is probably still cheaper to do cards than the large number of screens they'd need in each car.

Lizzie, any idea how I can post the 44 MB video I took of the train (it's 22 seconds long) as the limit is 19.6, but it looks like people have much longer videos posted?

7. I think if you posted it to You Tube and then linked to it from there it ought to work.

It's been a while since i rode the NYC subway, but the cars I've ridden lately in Boston don't use those kind of cards anymore. They do have frames on the wall for postery things, but that's not the same as a real car card. I once had the idea of putting up tracks on my office ceiling and running cards around it, but never got around to doing it...

vitanola likes this.
  8. Thanks re YouTube. That's a cool idea for your office - I assume, like everything, the cards are "collectables" today and probably not cheap?

vitanola likes this.
  9. Yeah, that's what caused me to abandon the idea -- I do have a few that I've found as backers for old picture frames, which seemed to be a pretty common fate for old advertising posters during the Depression.