Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*FOUND* Wanted - black homburg, topper or fedora

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
The title says it, I want a black homburg, topper or fedora. My size is 59cm which is 7 3/8 in the US or 7 1/4 in the UK. I don't mind if they're modern or vintage, but no wool felt hats please, only fur felt (or silk in the case of the topper if you happen to have something that nice).

Condition has got to be reasonable (not perfect) - no massive moth holes and nothing too noticable as I do intend this to be for semi-formal wear (suit or dinner jacket).

However, there is a catch. I need it to be able to be shipped to me so that it arrives on or before this Friday which is the 30th October. I want to wear it for Hallowe'en so I decided that a black hat was in order as I will be wearing a black suit and a black cape.

I will pay up to £50 or whatever that equates in another currency plus postage, but speed is more important than price for me. After Friday, if nothing comes I may ask a bartender to remove this thread as it will have outlived its purpose.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Lokar

A-List Customer
My suggestion would be to contact Hornets Hats right now, and ask if it's either possible to pick up a homburg at the hat offices in Oxford, or if they have any appropriate hats in the London stores, and take the train to London. Not convenient though, I'll admit.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Lokar said:
My suggestion would be to contact Hornets Hats right now, and ask if it's either possible to pick up a homburg at the hat offices in Oxford, or if they have any appropriate hats in the London stores, and take the train to London. Not convenient though, I'll admit.
A train to London costs me at least £40 for a return where I live. Sadly too costly as I am low on cash as it is. However my fallback option is Hornets as they may be able to post it quickly enough, depending on the situation with Royal Mail being on strike.

Lokar

A-List Customer
avedwards said:
A train to London costs me at least £40 for a return where I live. Sadly too costly as I am low on cash as it is. However my fallback option is Hornets as they may be able to post it quickly enough, depending on the situation with Royal Mail being on strike.

Ouch. I could get one for under a tenner when I lived in the South West on Great Western.

I don't think Hornets would be a fallback unfortunately - all fur felts ordered online are made to order, and they estimate 4-5 days just to get it made.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Damn that. Brad's hat is perfect in terms of crown height and even a LO which is a plus. I'm just worried that international shipping won't be fast enough to get to the UK in five days.

EDIT: to get Brad's wonderful homburg to me by Friday costs over $40. Alas, too much. :( I may search "Hatman" a shop in Birmingham which sells mostly wool felt but some fur felt hats to see if they have a fur felt homburg.

Torpedo

One Too Many
I would suggest, if you want the hat for regular wear (as opposed to just for Halloween), get Brad's hat. If you do not have it for Halloween, well, you will wear it afterwards. If you want it JUST for Halloween, then I think it is too close to bet on it being there in five days. I can not say how is it for the UK, but I have got plenty of parcels from the US, and about eight-ten days is more like it, in the best cases. This being a relatively large box, and not an envelope or a small packet, adds more improbability -larger packages usually take more time. Four or five days would be feasible for intereuropean packages, though.

There are also courier-style services, but probably it would be too costly.

EDIT - the above was written before I read your latest posting.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Torpedo said:
I would suggest, if you want the hat for regular wear (as opposed to just for Halloween), get Brad's hat. If you do not have it for Halloween, well, you will wear it afterwards. If you want it JUST for Halloween, then I think it is too close to bet on it being there in five days. I can not say how is it for the UK, but I have got plenty of parcels from the US, and about eight-ten days is more like it, in the best cases. This being a relatively large box, and not an envelope or a small packet, adds more improbability -larger packages usually take more time. Four or five days would be feasible for intereuropean packages, though.

There are also courier-style services, but probably it would be too costly.

EDIT - the above was written before I read your latest posting.
Thanks for the advice. I would wear the hat for general wear afterwards, however the main purpose is Hallowe'en as I can always wear a grey fedora if need be, but for this occaision black creates the sinister effect I want.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
billyspew said:
If you find out that Hornets does have some I can pop by and pick it up to post (I'll even pay for the postage myself).
Thank you very much, sir! I'll phone Hornets tomorrow and we'll see. However I want to see if I have any luck at finding a fur felt at "Hatman" first. The hats there are made by the American maker Bailey, and I know they make some fur felts so I have to hope they make a fur felt homburg. Transportationwise a train to Birmingham costs me less than postage would cost, hence this being my first option.

Howard Hughes

One of the Regulars
HOMBURG

Hello Sir.

I may have a Homburg I could sell you, not sure which sizes I have though.
I am in North Shropshire, so I could probably deliver it for the same price as postage, depends wherabouts in Staffs you are.
I will take a look tonight when I get in from work, if you are still in need I will post pics of what I have.
No promises though, I just hope I can help.

Poodletip.
HH.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I live in Stafford itself (or the outskirts of it). Postage should usually be able to make it quickly enough, unless the postal strike messes it up.

However, my father works in Shropshire doing tree work and therefore moves about the whole county, so depending where abouts you live there's a chance I could come with him and arrange a pick up in person if you're OK with that.

Thank you very much for your time.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I can do this, I have a fedora that might suit you. PM me. You can try it on and buy or borrow it before Friday 30th.

avedwards said:
The title says it, I want a black homburg, topper or fedora. My size is 59cm which is 7 3/8 in the US or 7 1/4 in the UK. I don't mind if they're modern or vintage, but no wool felt hats please, only fur felt (or silk in the case of the topper if you happen to have something that nice).

Condition has got to be reasonable (not perfect) - no massive moth holes and nothing too noticable as I do intend this to be for semi-formal wear (suit or dinner jacket).

However, there is a catch. I need it to be able to be shipped to me so that it arrives on or before this Friday which is the 30th October. I want to wear it for Hallowe'en so I decided that a black hat was in order as I will be wearing a black suit and a black cape.

I will pay up to £50 or whatever that equates in another currency plus postage, but speed is more important than price for me. After Friday, if nothing comes I may ask a bartender to remove this thread as it will have outlived its purpose.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes