Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fountain pens

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I have been the owner of a few fountain pens for a while now... usually the cheper starter set ones, but I've moved on to a Rosetta, around fifty bucks and its a cinch to use, and it writes well.

It's remarkable a fountain pen's affect on the user, isn't it?

I've relearned my cursive, which is still abysmal, but I'm working on it.

I've had my eye on a few vintage pens and inkwells, who knows what the future will bring... aside from more bad cursive.

It's remarkable a fountain pen's affect on the user, isn't it? I've relearned my cursive, which is still abysmal, but I'm working on it.

usually one of the reasons why our handwriting suffers is that we need to right things down quickly and the form degrades with speed and the deformed lettering become habitual. When possible if one slows down their writing to take the time to form the letters better the handwriting improves. Also practicing the proper forms helps too.

For myself I have a hard time keeping the letter spacing and the tilt of the letters consistent.

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Mr. Vim, you're right, it is remarkable how the use of the fountain pen affects the user's writing. John in Covina your observation is also exactly right. Slowing down and taking time to form the letters does improve one's handwriting. That's what fountain pens have done and are doing for me. Using the fountain pen makes me slow down. I've been using fountain pens exclusively for several years and my penmanship has improved dramatically. I have come from a penmanship that was totally illegible to getting compliments on it. Plus using a fountain pen with a custom nib adds some character to your writing. Glad to see other FP users here on the Lounge.
God Bless:
Preacher Man

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
For those who have asked about inexpensive fountain pens to get started, Noodler's Ink has (apparently recently) come out with their own small line of fountain pens. They have a piston-fill design that runs about $14, and an aerometric fill that runs $24. I've heard from one user that they're well made and smooth writers, and I'll be able to confirm that soon - mine (the aerometric) should arrive this coming week.

Also a reminder, if you're going to be doing sensitive things like writing checks with your fountain pen, you should be aware that most FP inks will easily wash out with just water or acetone. You should use something like Noodler's "Bulletproof" inks, or their new "Warden's" line. Both are guaranteed to be fraud-proof, and the Warden's ink is designed to resist new fraud techniques (they don't say specifically for security reasons, but it sounds like it's designed to resist "bleaching" out by lasers at certain wavelengths, in addition to their traditional "Bulletproof" fraud-resistance). The new pen is going to be filled with Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher, one of the new Warden inks that should also arrive this week. It looks like a nice, dark blue that will be perfect for when I'm notarizing legal documents.

Edward

Bartender
I've not yet tried the Bulletproof varieties... I'm frightened of permanent inks as I fear for the results of the inevitable spills. My cats are nosey little princesses, and always take an active interest when I am refilling pens.....

Ah, a fountain pen discussion. Nice to see one going on outside of FPN
Any of you folks use that forum?

Oh yes. I'm on there as EdwardMarlowe. I'm not sure that I like it though - they're a bunch of enablers, just like folks on here.... lol

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
New Acquisition!

It's here! It's here! My Noodler's Aerometric fill fountain pen arrived today, and so did my Noodler's "Bad Belted Kingfisher" ink!

Here's a picture, with some of my other pens for size comparison.

Pens-1.jpg

And with the caps posted (taken with my cell phone camera, sorry about the quality).

Pens-Posted.jpg

Each pen's name was written with that pen.

The Noodler's has the Bad Belted Kingfisher ink, which is a blue-black color - a bit darker than I thought actually, and I may end up ordering the Bad Blue Heron to try instead. The body is mottled brown and black ebonite. The cap is a "friction" type, rather than "snapping" on or screwing on, with the friction provided by four springs/prongs inside the cap. A good picture can be found at this review. The nib seems to be on par with the Waterman, and lays down a nice, wet line. It easily passes my "signature test" - I usually make the cross on my "J" with a very quick motion; if a pen can do that without skipping, it passes the test and is favoured for daily use.

The Waterman Phileas has Noodler's Luxury Blue ink, which is what I've been using for daily use for a while now. It has been my work pen for a few years, now. The Pelikan and the Esterbrook both have Noodler's Black. The Pelikan comes to work with me also, in case I need black ink instead of blue for something. It's a very good pen, but only barely passes the signature test - I have to intentionally slow down a just a little bit. The Esterbrook doesn't get a lot of use because I don't care for the nib (it's very scratchy, and dry), and the lever flops around a little so I worry that it would catch on something and squirt ink somewhere.

Tomorrow the Noodler's FP goes to work with me instead of the Waterman, and I'll see how it does in an office environment.

Edward

Bartender
It's here! It's here! My Noodler's Aerometric fill fountain pen arrived today, and so did my Noodler's "Bad Belted Kingfisher" ink!

I have three parcels waiting for me at the Post Office for collection tomorrow morning.... I have a feeling my Noodlers may be among them. I had a hankering to try the cheaper, Piston filler too, but it didn't really seem worth it when the shipping etc was added... I ordered one of the ebonite model in each colour - very much looking forward to trying those. It looks to be very similar in size to the Waterman Phileas? The Phileas and the P51 are my ideal in terms of ergonomics... how does the Noodler compare on that score? Oh... also.... are they a true Aerometric filler (like the P51 and the Hero100), or a squeeze bulb filler?

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
I have three parcels waiting for me at the Post Office for collection tomorrow morning.... I have a feeling my Noodlers may be among them. [...] It looks to be very similar in size to the Waterman Phileas? The Phileas and the P51 are my ideal in terms of ergonomics... how does the Noodler compare on that score?

It's a little longer and thinner than the Phileas. I'm not sure how it would compare to a P51 (I've never seen one in person). I still find it to be comfortable to use.

Oh... also.... are they a true Aerometric filler (like the P51 and the Hero100), or a squeeze bulb filler?

It's got the compression bar, but I can't see clearly enough inside to tell if it's a true Aerometric with the interior tube or not. I think it may be, based on what I could see of the ink flow inside the sac when I was filling it, but I'm not sure - that window is small.

I can say, after using it all day at work today, it's definitely a great writer - reasonably smooth, lays down a nice wet (but not too wet) line, and comfortable to hold and use. It's well worth more than the $25 I paid for it.

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
Anyone have experience with Retro 51? I picked up a fountain pen by them today for $10 new. Seems to be well constructed, writes nicely and cartridge refills are dirt cheap on ebay.

Argee

One of the Regulars
Picked this fellow up at a antique store for $8.40. It's a vacuum filler and it works quite well, which is a great stroke of luck as these are apparently very difficult to restore. By all appearances its a Sheaffer Triumph Autograph (as evidenced by the lack of pattern on the band). The wierd part is that is has 2 white dots, one on the cap where it's supposed to be and one on the very tip of the barrel, on the part you unscrew to pull out the plunger. At first I thought it meant the body was actually from a Sheaffer Crest, as the metal cap meant that some of those got the white dot on the tip, but I don't know for sure if it would take a regular Triumph cap. So it's either that or my pen came with 2 dots from the factory. Unless anyone has another theory.

73109_10150303660480074_585710073_15873928_6525874_n.jpg

Last edited:
Picked this fellow up at a antique store for $8.40. It's a vacuum filler and it works quite well, which is a great stroke of luck as these are apparently very difficult to restore. By all appearances its a Sheaffer Triumph Autograph (as evidenced by the lack of pattern on the band). The wierd part is that is has 2 white dots, one on the cap where it's supposed to be and one on the very tip of the barrel, on the part you unscrew to pull out the plunger. At first I thought it meant the body was actually from a Sheaffer Crest, as the metal cap meant that some of those got the white dot on the tip, but I don't know for sure if it would take a regular Triumph cap. So it's either that or my pen came with 2 dots from the factory. Unless anyone has another theory.

73109_10150303660480074_585710073_15873928_6525874_n.jpg

Sometimes when a pen was sent in for repair the original parts were no longer available and things then were replaced with what would fit. So there is a chance that the replacement of a part resulted in the double dot condition you have today.

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
Vintage Pens of the Golden Era

I'm thinking about getting a nice vintage pen, like a Parker of the 1930s. Besides having a real vintage item on my desk I want to use it for minor handwriting (signing and so on).

Do the experts here know some things one should have in mind as a newbie to the old pens?
Is it still possible to get spare parts like nibs, ink sacks etc. and if, where can one get them from?
Would you recommend to use some special ink? Not that some of the modern stuff may plug up the pen, or something like that.

Last, but not least, please post some nice pics of your vintage pens. I think it'll be nice to see them.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi.

1. Yes. Pens made before the mid 1920s were made of HARD RUBBER (also called ebonite). This can be brittle. Although not especially so, the pens should be treated with a bit of extra care nonetheless.
2. Yes. Ink-sacs, pressure-bars, O-rings and almost every other spare part you could imagine are still available from various websites (Tryphon Industries is the main one, I believe).
3. No I would not. Any good-quality modern fountain pen ink will do fine. Parker Quink, Sheaffer Skrip, Waterman, Montblanc, Noodlers...it's all good. Don't forget that inks like Parker & Sheaffer's have been around for seventy or eighty years already. If they were good then, they're even better now.

Here's a few of my vintage fountain pens:

parker1.jpg

Rare 1946 black Parker Duofold. English-made, button filler. These were only made in that one year of 1946.

wahlswatch.jpg

1920s gold-filled Art Deco Wahl fountain pens. One of those is a "vest-pocket" pen that would've been clipped to a double albert watch-chain...like this:

DSC06828.jpg

walthampens.jpg

Two of my hard rubber pens (bottom one from 1900, top one from 1914).

Vintage fountain pens are fun to collect and even more fun to write with. If you want more detailed information, I strongly suggest going to the Fountain Pen Network (www.thefountainpennetwork.com). I'm a member there ("Shangas") and there are thousands (literally) of other enthusiasts who can help you.

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
Thank you Shangas, they are amazing and exactly what I am looking for. Nice old art deco style pens. I will make some pics of the one I hope to find and get soon. I think it'll be a Parker or Sheaffer, that are the both companies I already read something about. Do you maybe know some other recommended good vintage pen makers whose pieces can still be found for a reasonable price?
Looking a bit through the net, it seems that this can be another intresting field for a collector and another addiction too:eusa_doh:

Do you mean that one: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com ? Your link seems to lead to nowhere.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
As soon as I'm off my mobile, I'll add links to several, comprehensive threads here on Fountain pens, their selection, use, care, repair, inks, removing stains, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran