Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fountain pens

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
You forgot another iconic pen, the Skyline from Eversharp. That's a really cool design from Dreyfuss but it's from the 1940s.

P1030751.jpg

P1030747.jpg

DeaconKC

One Too Many
http://myworld.ebay.com/l.v.vandyke/
I have several vintage pens that have been restored by him and cannot speak highly enough of his skill and service. Also, Esterbrook pens were a staple for many years and are reasonably priced. The Parker 45 is an excellent value and writer. Also look at modern made pens by Pelikan Lamy, the Shaeffer Javelin and Cross ATX are all excellent pens at reasonable prices.

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
I just wanted to add and show it because it is a real eyecatcher. I am fond about the streamline designs of that era. The Sheaffer Balance is one of those amazing things that always reminds me about cigars, zeppelins and airships but the Skyline looks like a rocket, a big torpedo or a high-speed train. Both are quite cool and nowadays an unusual few on desks or in the office.
Since I have them I find myself more often just making some short notes only because I must use and look at them. :noidea: Similar to my watch addiction. I am often looking at the watch but after that I still do not know how late it is. :eusa_doh:

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
You needn't worry about ink. Any ink from a major fountain pen manufacturer (with the possible exception of Noodlers) should be perfectly safe to use.

To clarify this: Noodler's Ink is designed to be fraud resistant. It chemically bonds/reacts with the cellulose in paper to make your writing indelible. This is good, since most fountain pen inks will easily "wash" out with water or chemicals - you generally don't want to use them for writing checks or on other sensitive documents because of that. I believe the concern with Noodler's is that some antique fountain pens were made with a cellulose based material* that would be stained if the ink happens to get on it. That shouldn't be a concern with most antique fountain pens you will be able to find today, as most of the surviving pens are made of ebonite, lucite, acrylic, or cellulose. It should also be safe with modern fountain pens.

Noodler's website states their ink is safe on lucite, celluloid, and acrylic. I assume it's also safe on ebonite (a common material in older pens), because they are now selling their own ebonite bodied fountain pens (their aerometric filler is a very nice pen).

*note: NOT the same as celluloid, which Noodler's website specifically states is safe.

Talbot

One Too Many
Recently I picked up a pack of disposable fountain pens (I know, sacrilegious) to see if using a fountain pen would be something that I enjoy or not. Turns out I haven't used any other writing implement in over 3 weeks. I suspect a quality vintage pen will be even better to write with.

I am looking for a 30's era fountain pen but am unsure what a good source would be for the pen or ink etc. Any suggestions?

Add to the experience and get some good writing paper. For work I use a lined Spirax Platinum notebook. The paper is heavier and smoother than the usual 80gsm (I think its 90gsm) and does not bleed through.

At the moment I alternate between a Parker 51, a modern Cross Century, and a Mont Blanc 32 . I'm not a huge fan of the modern chunky Mont Blanc's - too ostentatious. The 32 is a nice pocket sized unit and writes very smoothly.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
To clarify this: Noodler's Ink is designed to be fraud resistant. It chemically bonds/reacts with the cellulose in paper to make your writing indelible. This is good, since most fountain pen inks will easily "wash" out with water or chemicals - you generally don't want to use them for writing checks or on other sensitive documents because of that. I believe the concern with Noodler's is that some antique fountain pens were made with a cellulose based material* that would be stained if the ink happens to get on it. That shouldn't be a concern with most antique fountain pens you will be able to find today, as most of the surviving pens are made of ebonite, lucite, acrylic, or cellulose. It should also be safe with modern fountain pens.

Noodler's website states their ink is safe on lucite, celluloid, and acrylic. I assume it's also safe on ebonite (a common material in older pens), because they are now selling their own ebonite bodied fountain pens (their aerometric filler is a very nice pen).

*note: NOT the same as celluloid, which Noodler's website specifically states is safe.

I wasn't actually thinking about the issue regarding staining, Riposte, but more relating to INK FLOW. Some people say that Noodlers can flow a bit too readily and that can cause nib-creep. I'm not too sure how true that is (I've only ever used one bottle of Noodlers), but I thought I should put that out there. But your information is valid as well.

And on that note - NEVER get Noodlers on your clothes. If you do, you better not love your clothes, because as Riposte says, some (not all) Noodlers' inks are designed to be indellible. Nothing will get the ink off.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Many inks are made to flow easier today than in the past. You will need to experiment with different inks in each pen to find it's favorite. I am a huge fan of Private Reserve inks [especially American Blues] but my ALWAYS have on hand ink for any of my pens is good old Shaeffer's Slovenian Skrip in Black. It is safe in all pens, is useful in everything I've ever put it through, and is a decent black ink.

martinsantos

Practically Family
I never had problems with most of major ink brands - specially with black ink. Now I'm with a Parker, I'm liking it. With color ink, my preferred is the bright maroon by italian Omas. At least to me, the tone is just beautiful.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Some people say that Noodlers can flow a bit too readily and that can cause nib-creep. I'm not too sure how true that is (I've only ever used one bottle of Noodlers), but I thought I should put that out there.

I've seen it with some of their inks in some pens, but not all and not all. I don't find a small amount of nib-creep to be a really big issue - it can be easily wiped off if necessary, and doesn't appear to effect the functionality of the pen at all. I will say that every pen I've had that has a reasonable ink flow (i.e., enough for me to write my signature with my customary speed without skipping) has also had at least a little nib-creep, but I do like a bit of a wet line. As always, YMMV.

And on that note - NEVER get Noodlers on your clothes. If you do, you better not love your clothes, because as Riposte says, some (not all) Noodlers' inks are designed to be indellible. Nothing will get the ink off.

Truth. Which I have learned the hard way! Just one of the hazards of loving fountain pens, I guess. :)

In the science end of inks trying to get a good flow so it is not too much or too little is hard goal to hit sometimes. In the recent past many new pens were really dry writers with skipping problems and the new ink makers were trying to accomodate that trend is the story I have heard.

Many pen makers had changed materials and the feed section has to have certain chemical-physical properties to get the flow right. Some of the channels leading from the ink to the nib were too small and so on. i have had 2 pens that were miserable dry writers that could not be fixed without major surgery.

Most pens that have the right material feed with good fit and finish can be adjusted to write drier or wetter by a "nibmiester." The alignment of the nib and the feed as to how close or far apart is one of the things that has a bearing on the flow.

It's fun to try different inks and you will find that some pens in your stable will work better with a certain ink and other pens will work better with another. In the end you can match the ink to the pen in some circumstances.

I can't recall who did it but there is a book that has a really good color chart of inks. In the past one of the pen magazines maybe Stylophiles did some neat ink comparisons. Previous to the Noodlers Bulletproof "permanent" inks in black 2 Asian inks did really well and Aurora Black rated really well. When I use black the Aurora tends to be my black ink of choice.

Some people shy away from Private Reserve inks, but I have had good luck with them, If you have a dry writer their Tanzanite a purple ink is one that flows well and often can be the difference making the pen write a little wetter.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I have a standard Parker fountain pen, but would like to have to lovelier ladies fountain pen. Any advice on brands and models? I would say that my limit is about £75/$120. My ideal fountain pen would be ivory and black or just ivory, with a fine nib.

On another note, I would like some scented ink as well, any advice on ink or adding fragrance to ink?

H.Herdick

Familiar Face

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Herdick, my favourite is the Ingrid Bergman fountain pen from Mont Blanc, it is just what I want but far off my budget. They are so beautiful.

Deacon, thank you for the link, I will have to find a British retailer, I like it!

jkingrph

Practically Family
I have a standard Parker fountain pen, but would like to have to lovelier ladies fountain pen. Any advice on brands and models? I would say that my limit is about £75/$120. My ideal fountain pen would be ivory and black or just ivory, with a fine nib.

On another note, I would like some scented ink as well, any advice on ink or adding fragrance to ink?

I think Parker has one of the Sonnet in an Ivory looking model. Montblanc has some scented inks.

Where is Norwich, RAF, presuming RAF as Royal Air Force.

I had the good fortune to be stationed at RAF Little Rissington back in 91 for Desert Storm. We had a USAF contingency hospital set up there. I was billeted at Brize Norton and we had some folks over at Fairford. We entered and departed the UK at Upper Heyford.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Thanks jkingrph! I'll have a look at the Mont Blanc inks and the Parker Sonnet. I'd like a pen that is not too chunky but still has character.

Norwich (Norfolk) is in the UK, there are quite a lot of military bases here, RAF amongst them. I don't live in one though :)

J.W.

A-List Customer
Okay, I'm a ballpoint-user, for a practical reason: I'm left-handed and when I still used pens (like 20 years ago), the ink never dried quick enough and I would always smear what I had just written. Consequently, I switched to ballpens and it was much easier to write with them.
So here's my question: Is there a good, really quick-drying ink out there, preferably available in Germany/Europe?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy