Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRANK SINATRA's Vintage Suit Jacket

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Stumbled across this several weeks ago.

It's a vintage smooth-finished tan wool gabardine suit jacket custom made for FRANK SINATRA in 1966 by Carroll & Co., the exclusive Beverly Hills haberdashery (located at that time on Rodeo Drive). Measures to be a size 40 Short. Fully lined; the lining has a paisley print.

I’ve included a black & white image of Mr. Sinatra wearing a darker version of this jacket while singing at a late ‘60s concert.

The quality of tailoring is excellent. All buttonholes are handsewn, and the sleeves have working buttonholes (or “surgeon’s cuffs”).

I've put it up on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160633091552

Sinatrasuit1.jpg

FrankSinatraauctionphotoed.jpg

Sinatrasuitlabeloutside.jpg

Sinatrasuitlabel.jpg

Sinatrasuit3.jpg

Sinatrasuit2.jpg

Sinatrasuitcuff.jpg

Sinatrasuitback.jpg

Last edited:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Indeed! But then there are lots of famous folks in the area, and some fairly recently deceased. So even if improbable, it's still a distinct possibility.
I bet you check those thrifts as often as possible?
When I lived in the Cleveland Ohio area, all the wealthy notables such as John D. Rockefeller were long gone, but still I have to wonder if any of their gear ever ended up in a thrift shop.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
There may be some real history behind that suit per who owned it, if it could only talk...

Perhaps he sang in concert or on TV while wearing it. Who knows?

Several weeks ago, I met in person with John Carroll, the present owner (and son of the founder) of "Carroll & Co.", and showed him the suit jacket. Mr. Carroll confirmed that Frank Sinatra was a frequent customer of the store, and that Carroll & Co. suits had been custom made for him. In fact, Mr. Sinatra's son is still a customer.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Still five days to go and the price is already at $255+. I wouldn't call that exactly inching, especially since you found it at a Goodwill. I'm sure the price will skyrocket during the last few seconds. :)

Edward

Bartender
Jinkies, I hope you have a serious reserve on that one! In your position part of me would be very reluctant to part with it, but equally if it doesn't fit you or you wouldn't be comfortable ever wearing it, I can understand clearing it out. I know I've ruled out buying an original A2 as I'd be scared to wear it for fear of "destroying history", and can't justify the space it would take up if it never got worn. Maybe you'll be extra lucky and a few rich super-fans will get into a bidding war, late-on!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Jinkies, I hope you have a serious reserve on that one! In your position part of me would be very reluctant to part with it, but equally if it doesn't fit you or you wouldn't be comfortable ever wearing it, I can understand clearing it out. I know I've ruled out buying an original A2 as I'd be scared to wear it for fear of "destroying history", and can't justify the space it would take up if it never got worn. Maybe you'll be extra lucky and a few rich super-fans will get into a bidding war, late-on!

It doesn't fit me (I'm a 39 R), and I have no reserve on it. Reserves discourage bidders, and I don't think the jacket will go for less than it's worth.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Well ... according to Collectors Weekly online magazine, the Frank Sinatra suit jacket --with 80 watchers-- is (approximately) the "most watched" men's vintage clothing auction on eBay right now: http://www.collectorsweekly.com/mens-clothing/auctions

That's good, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the auction will fetch a lot of bids, let alone high ones. Watchers aren't always bidders.

Cross fingers and we'll see...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner