Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Franklin Automobile

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Clayton, sorry I almost forgot. I love my A. It is modern enough to drive on the freeway in Cal. and it gets looks from everybody. She also drives like a modern car with some exceptions. Parts are plentiful and new ones are now made. Either way you decide to go, enjoy the car and you will be in for a learning experience if you have never had/driven an antique car before.

Mike

cwdubya

New in Town
Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate it. I got some very good information from here and the AACA forum, and I think that the prudent call would be to buy a Model A (or a newer mid 30s model) and get some experience in owning a vintage car before I jump into this Franklin. The 10 series Franklins are very distinctive, but I think that the amount of maintenance and repair expertise coupled with the availability of parts make it a project that's frankly above my ability, at least until I learn more. The wood frame and spokes concern me the most, just from an age and replacement perspective. I've also been informed that the car in question has a considerable amount of mileage, and needs wiring work.

Last edited:

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
From the Model A period to the early fifties, Fords have always been popular cars, popular new, popular old, and especially pricey now. The important thing is to decide how you want to use the car. As everyone has said older 20's model cars are generally not suitable as daily or even frequent drivers as they can't deal with modern traffic conditions If you move up to the mid to late 30's you'll find cars that are adaptable to being used frequently. However they don't have that classic antique "vibe". For a more modern example a 47-48 Ford for example is vintage cool but your not going to create that Gatsby vibe. I've been out of the old car thing but hope to get another in a year or so. I'm going for the mid to late 40's. I've had 50's Caddies and I want something basic and easily repairable by me. Crank up windows, manual seats, and simple heating and windshield wiping systems. (none of those gastly old vacuum wipers!). Decide what you want and good luck.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Wiring work....
I've heard that a few times.
She's great but she has some wiring problems....Uh oh...
I looked at a 31 Chevy with that issue, and what was worse was under the dash, all the wiring WAS THE SAME COLOR. :eeek:
That's for people that have nothing to do all day but lay under the car and find out where this white wire goes...oh wait, it's all white wire.
Since the car is that old, wiring can't be too bad, because there isn't a lot on it. :)
Even on mine, with a modern wiring harness, there isn't much to hook up, and I don't have anything computerized.
Let's say I have a 1929 car with 1970's technology, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
I'm thankful there are so many on here that know about vintage cars, to help you make a more informed decision.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Your statement is exactly the reason I made a streetrod out of my Essex.
Oddly enough, mine was made in February of 29, before the market crash, and it's solid steel throughout (except the wood used to tack on the interior pieces).
I have a few reproduction wood pieces, done by local craftsmen, because the old ones were good but not great.
Vitanola brings up a good point about the wood used on the Franklin, what condition is it in, and would it cause a safety problem?
Would you be able to reproduce a piece of wood, to make it safe if you needed to? And would it hurt the value of the car?
Again, what are you going to do with the car? Drive it every weekend, or a few times a year? Sadly due to time constraints I only drive mine a few times a year, which is very bad for a car.
If you get a Model A, you've got a Model A, know what I mean?
Maybe a more rare car such as a Hudson (sorry but I'm partial to Essex and Hudson :) ).
Or at least a car with more steel in it...just a suggestion.

The value of a Franklin is only enhanced by a properly rebuilt chassis. These should be made of laminated clear ash, as original, but modern glues can greatly extend the expected service life of the chassis without substantially altering it.

If one wishes a really reliable car which is not a Ford, yet which is not too terribly difficult to leep on the road, a Buick (especially one of the legendarilly reliable four-cylinder Buicks) or a Dodge Brothers Four would be excellent choices. both are eminently drivable cars, and parts are not too much of a problem. The Dodge is particularly interesting due to its Northeast starting and liting system, which usese a sicle motor linked to the engine with a silent chain as both starter and generator. Starting on these machines is silent, with no clashing of the Bendix drive. Only problem is the Dodge's crazy, mixed-up gear shift pattern, but one soon gets used to that.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
The Franklin did have ash frame rails but replacement is not a huge deal. Blueprints are available from the Franklin club, if you can get the wood you can glue it together at home, cut to shape and drill the bolt holes.

Then, jack up the car and put stands or blocks under the axles and crossmembers. Remove the fenders, headlights and running boards. Unbolt the frame rail and bolt on the new one. Then go round and do the other side.

Even so I suggest you go for the Model A. Franklin made a very fine car and many are still running in the hands of collectors. But it is not the kind of car you start out on, it is the kind you work your way up to. The Model A has much better support and is much more user friendly for the novice.

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Welcome cwdubya,

You can always check with the Franklin Club and see if there are any other members in your area, if so perhaps you and the others could form a local area branch. Also, does the seller know of any other owners in the area? And find out what his source for parts and support have been. And people have an interesting way of coming out of the woodwork once you start driving your car around a little. It happens all the time to me when I pull mine out for a spin.

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
And people have an interesting way of coming out of the woodwork once you start driving your car around a little. It happens all the time to me when I pull mine out for a spin.

I'll agree with that. I met someone the other day that knew what my car was immediately, instead of "hey nice Ford or Chevy." :eusa_doh:

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
I'll agree with that. I met someone the other day that knew what my car was immediately, instead of "hey nice Ford or Chevy." :eusa_doh:

Greetings,

What kind of car do you have? Mine is a 65 Lincoln Convertible. Just a few days ago I had a business car handed to me by my mechanic that was given to him by a gentleman that is an expert on 1960's era Lincoln's electrical systems. An invaluable person to know as cars of my era have about as much wiring and electrical mechanical items as a Saturn V Rocket. He saw my car parked in front of the shop and stopped in and left his card. This has happened time and again to me. So cwdubya, you do need to be circumspect but also remember "Carpe diem," seize the day, and enjoy your life as long as you do it sensibly.

kyboots

Practically Family
WoW! you have had good advice!! I had the opportunity to purchase a Franklin 20 years ago from one of my elderly patients. The car was perfect, I turned it down and have regretted it ever since. It Is not an easy car to maintain, and I have not found another one just like it. One of the problems with cars like the Franklin or the Model A is decreasing demand. Folks who loved these as a child and always wanted one are dying off or dead. I drove a GTX during college and sold it only wanting another. I purchased a 1969 Roadrunner original in the early 90's and let it go after 10 years because the prices were crazy for the muscle cars. Prices were astronomical; Folks my age hit the boomer market and wanted their teenage years back. Now it is not worth as much, prices are down with the economy and folks who wanted one are starting to die off. Who wants a signed copy of "Gone With The Wind"? those folks are about gone and books that sell now are 35% cheaper than 10 years ago. The Franklin is a great car, but expensive to maintain.They look great, not common, and if that is what you want I say go for it. It will be an expensive toy, if you want an expensive toy ( like love ) just be certain this is the one! John

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
We needed a photo.....

Franklin-auto_1907-1106.jpg

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Greetings,

What kind of car do you have? Mine is a 65 Lincoln Convertible. Just a few days ago I had a business car handed to me by my mechanic that was given to him by a gentleman that is an expert on 1960's era Lincoln's electrical systems. An invaluable person to know as cars of my era have about as much wiring and electrical mechanical items as a Saturn V Rocket. He saw my car parked in front of the shop and stopped in and left his card. This has happened time and again to me. So cwdubya, you do need to be circumspect but also remember "Carpe diem," seize the day, and enjoy your life as long as you do it sensibly.

1929 Essex Super Six Streetrod
Although somewhat rare, it's not as rare as the Franklin, but just as hard to get parts for at the time I built it.

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
It was, according to the previous owner. My problem was parts. When I was preparing to rebuild it, there was no internet. If Hemmings Motor News didn't have any advertisements listed, I was SOL. Yes my car was complete when I got it, but when x or y part broke, then what? I did the only thing I could do, make a streetrod.
I assume the Franklin would be the same.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
It was, according to the previous owner. My problem was parts. When I was preparing to rebuild it, there was no internet. If Hemmings Motor News didn't have any advertisements listed, I was SOL. Yes my car was complete when I got it, but when x or y part broke, then what? I did the only thing I could do, make a streetrod.
I assume the Franklin would be the same.

I put tens of thousands of miles on various non-Ford machines of this vintage, long before the internet. By this, I mean that I ran them in daily service, commuting. Parts availability was a bit of a pain in the -er- neck, but once one gets involved with either a marque club, the VMCCA, or the Horseless Carriage club one finds sources of supply. An appropriate Hollander Interchange manual is a must, however, and a little Unimat lathe/milling machine doesn't hurt.

I've never been a terribly great fan of street rods, though I admit that they are more personal, and afford more opportunities for artistic expression than would straight restorations. After all, a 1929 Essex Super Six is just that, a 1929 Essex Super Six, pretty much like the three or four dozen other examples out there in the world. A rod, on the other hand, particularly one done as well as yours appears to be, is sui generis. Understanding this, admitting that there is a great surplus of so many ordinary 'Twenties sedans and coupes, and appreciating the fact that the builder of a rod will often salvage a car that would be thought to be too far gone by an ordinary restorer, I still am unexcited by them. Perhaps it is because they are all all that anyone sees at our local "antique" car shows.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Parts are available for most old cars. You won't find them on the shelf at Pep Boys but they do exist. Joining the club for your make, or the AACA helps.

If you don't want to bother, buy a Ford. Practically everything for them is still being made. But please don't gut a nice old car with the excuse you can't find parts. Sell it to someone who will do it justice.

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
I have to agree with others when it comes to changing things on vintage cars. My 65 Lincoln Convertible is not as rare as some other cars, but it is one of on 3,356 made that year, and I would not dream of changing or adding anything to the car that would not have been available when it was new. I have seen some things done to them that take them from a car with true class, to a car with no class. Another great horror I once saw was a Packard Twelve Club Sedan that someone had taken the original engine out and put a Chevy small block, air-conditioning, velour seats, new steering wheel, CD player, "the works." I sometimes wish people that do things like that would just buy some kit car that it would not matter what they do to it, as it is not a classic. People should think good and hard before they start going at a car hammer and tongs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael