Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Free Shaving Cream

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Good Afternoon all,

I have some free shaving cream if you would like some.

I have been working on cherry almond scented shaving cream, designed to be used with a badger shaving brush. I got into making shaving cream/soaps a few years ago when I got into wet shaving. Because I have two toddlers, my wife doesn’t want me making soap or cream in the house so I have asked a lab in Connecticut to help me out.

I’m looking for some people to try it for a couple of weeks and let me know what you think. I’ve had some of my army buddies try it, and they really like it. I have about 50 samples, and I will incur all the postage to send it to you (in the continental US). All I ask is that you give me your thoughts on it (either PM or letter or email). How is the scent, is it cushiony, is it smooth and slick on the skin, does it give a good shave? And whatever else you think may be helpful. Also, the cream is designed to not have menthol, so it’s not “cooling” like Proraso.

Ladies are also welcome to try it. My wife has used it on her legs and she likes it.

I’m not a store. Though I do plan to sell the shaving cream in gift baskets, groomsmen’s gifts, and such stuff locally and amongst my friends (one friend is a wedding planner).
Please PM me if you would like to try some. If you wish to send me a letter requesting some, you can send it to:

Brian Solomon
PO Box 241623
Apple Valley, MN

Thanks,
Brian Solomon (Slygi)

AndrewGWU

Familiar Face
Can't PM due to post count, but will shoot you an email. I am a straight and DE shaver who found out about this site on Badger and Blade.

SlyGI said:
Hi All,

I still have some left. Any more takers? It's yours free, I pay postage in the continental US.

Just PM me this weekend and I will send it out on Monday.

thanks,
Brian
solomon.brian@gmail.com

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Brian,
I used the shaving cream this morning, and I must say that I'm very impressed!
I thought I'd be off-put by the scent, but it's not cloying or lingering, just a good black cherry aroma with maybe a touch of almond. I used a large almond sized dollop in the bottom of my shaving mug and an Art of Shaving Fine Badger brush and I was able to almost effortlessly create a wonderful lather. I thought I might have over-hydrated it a bit, it was so glossy, but it went on wonderfully and performed like a champ. I used a Gillette Black Handled Superadjustable and performed 4 passes, no irritation, cut cleanly, and with 2 days of stubble to boot.
Well done on this cream creation, and bravo and thanks to you for offering up at no cost to the members of the Lounge.
:eusa_clap

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
More Samples

Hi All,

I just thought I would bump this up because I still have some free samples to send out.

Also, thanks! rmrdaddy for the kind words. I've really put my army (National Guard) buddies through the wringer on testing out all the prototypes. This is the first batch I thought was good enough to send out to a wider test market.

Slygi

Doug C

Practically Family
I've used my free sample a couple of times too, and I think it's a really good cream. It's lathering properties are as good as the best ones I've used and better than some others. The smell is familiar but I can't really place where in my past I've smelled it. The aroma is pleasant and not overly masculan, though to be honest I prefer a cream that is just a little more masculan. The scent does not linger on my skin, which I kind of like in a shaving cream ... so it does not compete with a splash of aftershave. I'd say you got yourself a great product going there, keep up the good work and thanks again for offering us here at the lounge to give it a try.

Doug C

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Just a note, my wife says that this cream smells JUST LIKE the original Jergens cherry almond body lotion that her grandmother used ages ago. No spin on it, just an observation from Mrs. Daddy.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I received my sample a couple of days ago, but decided to hold off on trying it until Saturday morning when I can take my time. I tend to be in a bit of a rush during the week!

Cheers,
Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
(I was going to send my review as PM, but after seeing a couple of reviews posted here I opted to do the same.)

Gave my sample a first go this morning. I don't have a wide range of experience with different blades, creams, and brushes. I'd say I'm an average user.

Tools: Gillette Tech DE razor, new Wilkinsen Sword blade, Tweezerman badger brush, VDH shaving bowl. (My standard set-up--sometimes I try different blades, and I do have a couple other DE razors.)

'Tween thumb and forefinger test, comparing with TOBS Sandalwood, TOBS a slight bit slicker but not by much.

Scent: Cherry, with an almond finish; the last bit reminded me of CM Almond. Nice.

Did my usual twirl of the end of the brush in the cream, then mixed up the lather in the saving bowl. I was surprised at how quickly it made a good, rich, thick lather! Outdid the other creams I've tried (TOBS, C.O. Bigelow, CM).

The shave: I do three passes, with the grain, across the grain and then against the grain. I tend to do long passes as opposed to short strokes and rinse (old habit I can't seem to break). Nice, smooth movement across the face, definitely as good as, if not slightly better, the C.O. Bigelow. Up there with TOBS. (I don't really use CM as a comparison as the two versions of theirs I've tried made my face feel like it was burning while I was shaving so I didn't use it much. :p )

A very good shave. I know that the holy grail in shaving is BBS, but I never try for it--I just want a very good shave. This cream performed admirably. I did end with four weepers, but sometimes that happens with a new blade. I plan on continuing to use the cream over the next few days to see how it does with the same blade after it gets a little use.

Initial impression: very good! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap On the same level as TOBS. Thanks for the opportunity to try it; I'll give more feedback as I continue to use it.

cptjeff

Practically Family
I guess we're posting reviews here then.

After using it for a second time today, my initial assessment is that it's very nice. I don't have a lot of experience with a DE, but it seems I'm not the only one with that assessment so I feel pretty comfortable in it. I put on a new blade for the second half of my first use, I thought I had some life left and didn't, so my face was rather sore after the first trial, necessitating a couple more before a review.

It forms a lather very quickly and easily, though when I tried lathering on my face I got a better lather then when I did it in a mug. That might just have to do with the effort or leaving a little too much water on the brush, so take it with a grain of salt.

I'm a big fan of the scent. Refined and smoothing, I think you nailed that.

The shave was smooth and easy, one or two nicks. Worked well for me, and I do use short passes and rinse. I average around 4 passes, With, against, with, against.

It left me with a nice smooth face, don't know what much more you could ask for. As a newcomer to the world of proper shaving, this was quite the treat. I'm certainly going to continue using it until I run out. Thank you very much for it.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
16 Samples Left

Hi All,

I just want to thank everyone so far who has tried the shaving cream! Also, I have 16 samples left. The wife wants them out of the cupboard so she can do some canning. :D

Thanks!
Brian

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
cptjeff said:
I guess we're posting reviews here then.

After using it for a second time today, my initial assessment is that it's very nice. I don't have a lot of experience with a DE, but it seems I'm not the only one with that assessment so I feel pretty comfortable in it. I put on a new blade for the second half of my first use, I thought I had some life left and didn't, so my face was rather sore after the first trial, necessitating a couple more before a review.

It forms a lather very quickly and easily, though when I tried lathering on my face I got a better lather then when I did it in a mug. That might just have to do with the effort or leaving a little too much water on the brush, so take it with a grain of salt.

I'm a big fan of the scent. Refined and smoothing, I think you nailed that.

The shave was smooth and easy, one or two nicks. Worked well for me, and I do use short passes and rinse. I average around 4 passes, With, against, with, against.

It left me with a nice smooth face, don't know what much more you could ask for. As a newcomer to the world of proper shaving, this was quite the treat. I'm certainly going to continue using it until I run out. Thank you very much for it.

Thank you for the kind review! You can either post your review here or email me or PM me!

Thanks again for volunteering!
Brian Solomon

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
rmrdaddy said:
Just a note, my wife says that this cream smells JUST LIKE the original Jergens cherry almond body lotion that her grandmother used ages ago. No spin on it, just an observation from Mrs. Daddy.

Hmmm, I'm a little young to remember Jergens Cherry Almond Body Lotion... But, being this is a sort of nostalgic website, I'll take that as a complement. lol

I'm hoping the scent will react with people like a good song: It gives a lot of pleasure, and it's vague enough to bring up good memories in each individual person. :D

I just made that last part up! ;)

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I just received my sample in the mail today, and I can't wait until tomorrow morning to try it. I'll be able to give it a bit of a test, since I'll have three days worth of stubble to try it on. No, I didn't stop shaving in anticipation of getting the shaving cream, I've just been ill with with a bad cold or flu and just haven't felt like shaving.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
My sample arrived today. I use an old 40's Gilette DE and a badger brush.
I first off loved the scent, it didn't linger as mentioned, but wasn't overwhelming or misplaced- I found it nice compared to the usual such as Sandalwood and any other out there.
It Lathered well and gave a great shave. It left my skin nice and smooth. :D

I would most definitely buy more from you if possible, Its a great product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran