Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Catalog Scans: Mandelios 1934 (Sportswear, Beachwear, Summer-Suits)

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
madelios1934001.jpg

madelios1934002.jpg

madelios1934003.jpg

madelios1934004.jpg

madelios1934005.jpg

madelios1934006.jpg

madelios1934007.jpg

madelios1934008.jpg

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
The fact that there is any real photography in that catalog is wonderful. So many catalogs/ ads are simple artists renditions of the products.

Flat Foot Floey

I think some of the illustrations look like rip offs from apparel arts. Or maybe they were taken directly? This would raise the question if/how a French shop would have the clothes that were shown in an american magazine?

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Yes quite a common phenomenon to encounter American illustrations in European publications (catalogs or tailor periodicals)... what has been taken over are the poses and general outline, but the clothes mostly vary. Or the shown garments are "vague" enough to advertise for something of similar style (the devil is in the text I guess - concerning cloth and color).

And correct me if I'm wrong on the following - Apparel Arts wasn't a catalog showing "existing" garments, but rather a "fashion guide" inspiring the garment industry.

If we take for example this one below... the costumer in essence sees various generic patch-pocket suits, which on the illustration don't show great difference between "French" and "American" style. Of course he would receive something of French make along the lines of the illustration.

madelios1934002.jpg

Similar practice was done also in Eastern Europe with German illustrations (at least the German periodicals complain about this), while they were themselves "borrowing" sometimes from American illustrations - shows how international fashion was, despite obvious regional differences in detail and make.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

Apparel arts was a trade publication and yes, it was more like a guide to menswear trends.

I have to look if I can find the original illustrations to compare them to the french catalog.

D

Deleted member 16736

It's amazing to see how fashion-forward the French. Those 1934 fashions wouldn't look out of place in an American catalog 5 years later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner