Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday the 13th

LizzieMaine

Bartender
2916471203_9c9248d16c_z.jpg

Correct as usual.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Interesting fact: while some claim the Friday the 13th superstition goes back to the belief that the Crucifixion occured on a Friday the 13th, there's no actual written evidence for the existance of the superstition until the middle of the 19th Century.

My older brother was born on a Friday the 13th and died two days later, leaving my mother a serious believer in the superstition.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
It seems Fridays and the number 13 have each on their own been considered unlucky, but it was not until the 19th century that the two together were considered evils:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the_13th

Lots of post-facto reasoning that it relates to the 13 present at the Last Supper prior to the crucifixion of Jesus on the Friday following, but again, this is all from the last two centuries.

Very much a modern "tradition".

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Friday the 13th has always been my good luck day, and the ace of spades my good luck card! I can only remember one bad thing ever happening on Friday the 13th, my water heater went out on that day. Not all that bad, I finished my shower before the water got cold, the guys had my new water heater in that afternoon, it was cheaper then I though, and the new one is cheaper to operate, and oh so much warmer!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
In Mr. Rogers Neighborhood, King Friday XIII always celebrated his birthday anytime a Friday the 13th appeared on the calendar. Fred Rogers wanted to dispel the superstition among children so it became a day of happy celebration.

(As LizzieMaine alluded to with her image above)

dnjan

One Too Many
First one of the year coming up the end of the week.

Is this a good start for 2017 or what? !!!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Well if you are a convicted criminal and about to meet your maker on Friday 13th, did you know that: There are 13 stairs leading to the gallows; the blade in a guillotine fell from a height of 13 feet and a hangman has 13 knots in a hangman's noose.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
"It's Friday the 13th. Avoid ladders, black cats and ridiculous superstitions."
I had my Friday the 13th event this morning. Spilled corn flakes all over the kitchen floor. In the act of trying to avoid them I did the exact opposite and scrunched them into a fine mess.
The missus says that makes me a cereal killer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass