Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

From Homburg to Fedora conversion pic

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
This was an open crown homburg before I removed the edge binding, ironed the brim, cut it down and reshaped it over a teapot.

IMG_0124.jpg

fedoralover

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Actually it was an off brand, "Barcellino" the felt is really thick. I don't think it was an especially high quality hat, but it is still better than anything new.

fedoralover

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I marked it with tailor's chalk all the way around at the width I wanted, (2 5/8ths) and then with some very sharp scissors and a very steady hand I cut it and then sanded the edge. I've done it before so I've had some practice. Here's another angle

IMG_0121.jpg

fedoralover

MKL

A-List Customer
Nice job on the hat. Looks great!

What grade/grades of sandpaper did you use?

Thanks.

MKL

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Because this felt is pretty thick I started with 80 grit and then finished with 220. This was just on the edge of the brim not the top of the brim. I'm not a pro hatter so there is probably a better way to do it but the end result turned out fairly decent. Sometimes the hats we see aren't exactly the way we like them so we don't get them. In some hats I've found I can make some modifications myself and they turn out to be just what I want.

fedoralover

Victor

One of the Regulars
I've done the same myself. its not that difficult. just have a steady hand when cutting with the scissors and sand off the bumps. Its not rocket science, just remember that its better to cut off too little than too much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24