Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

From Scratch

The bread turned out to be edible and pretty good. The directions called for using 2 packets of yeast and since mine was out of date i used all 3. I think there is a flavor coming from the over abundance of yeast.

I added 1/4 cup of oatmeal to the flour. I did not do an egg wash to the tops of the bread so it isn't shiny. Max liked it too.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Those look delicious LD. Would you mind sharing the recipe? :)

Sure! Ill get it together. Im vegan, so these are animal free, but all of my meat eating friends (which are all I have) never know unless I tell them.

Two key things Ive discovered are allow your butters/oils to reach room temp naturally before mixing batter. Microwaving them or heating them on the stove totally changes the texture. Also, I use graham flour in my recipe. Keeps the cookies from being too cakey or too doughy.

My next cookie challenge is almond shortbread cookies :biggrin:

LD

Last edited:

rue

Sure! Ill get it together. Im vegan, so these are animal free, but all of my meat eating friends (which are all I have) never know unless I tell them.

Two key things Ive discovered are allow your butters/oils to reach room temp naturally before mixing batter. Microwaving them or heating them on the stove totally changes the texture. Also, I use graham flour in my recipe. Keeps the cookies from being too cakey or too doughy. :biggrin:

LD

Thank you so much LD :D
I can never seem to get my chocolate chip cookies to be thick like that, so I really appreciate it.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Do you chill your batter and baking sheets before you bake?
Put your batter in the fridge and cookie sheets in the freezer for about 20 min then spoon batter onto sheet then bake. The cold will slow the batter from spreading before they begin the set from baking.

Chocolate chip cookies I have found are a science. They are unlike any other kind of cookie.

LD

Last edited:

rue

Do you chill your batter and baking sheets before you bake?
Put your batter in the fridge and cookie sheets in the freezer for about 20 min then spoon batter onto sheet then bake. The cold will slow the batter from spreading before they begin the set from baking.

Chocolate chip cookies I have found are a science. They are unlike any other kind of cookie.

LD

Actually no, I've never tried that before. Thank you for the advice :)
Yes, they are the only cookie that I can't seem to master and it burns me up lol

4spurs

One of the Regulars
SuperbowlGumbo.jpg

Who Dat Gumbo

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Shelley's chocolate chip cookies

First let me say that I've been working on this recipe for a loooog time. I really like the texture, the flavor and the consistency. If substitutions are used, I take no responsibility for outcome :)

2 tbls ground flax seed
2 tbls constartch
2 tbls canola oil
4 tbls boiling water

1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup grahm flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (I use sea salt)
2 tbls vital wheat gluten
6 oz (1 1/2 cups) chocolate chips (too many chocolate chips is not a good thing)

1/4 cup cocoanut oil (room temp)
1/4 cup margarine (I use Earth Balance, room temp)
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbls vanilla extract
2 tbls molasses
1/4 cup soy milk

tip: Make sure your oils and such reach room temperature naturally before use. Makes all the difference in the world.

tools: chilled baking trays from the freezer, one coffee cup, one med bowl, one large bowl, beveled spatula, measuring cups and spoons, table spoons and forks

Directions:
Put baking trays in the freezer. Boil water. In coffee cup mix flax seed and corn starch well. Once water is boiling, add canola oil and water and mix well. Set to the side to set.

In med bowl, mix all dry ingredients, sans sugar. Set aside.

In large bowl, blend all wet ingredients with sugar. Add flax seed mix and chop in lightly. Pour in all dry and mix well. Batter should be firm, a bit crumbly, but easy to knead and sticky. Cover with towel and put in the fridge for 15-20 min.

Turn oven to 350.

Remove cookie trays from freezer. Once batter is cool, spoon on un-greased cookie sheet. Each cookie should be about 1/2" thick and 2 1/2=3" in diameter. 9 cookies should fit on a standard cookie sheet.

I use glass cookie sheets.

Bake cookies for about 11-13 min. Don't over bake. Remove sheets and allow cookies to set for 3-4 min, don't over set! Use beveled spatula to remove cookie from baking sheet and transfer to wire rack to cool.

This recipe makes about 3 doz cookies. I don't like cookies where you taste the sweetness before the flavor of the ingredients. These are sweet, but the chocolate is the biggest flavor in the cookie. You can actually taste the subtly of the flours and how they accent the chocolate!

Enjoy!
LD

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo