Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

From Scratch

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Here is todays loaf.
P1010002.jpg

My question is, does anybody have a recipe for a sourdough starter that will work in a bread maker?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
For some time Mrs. Hood would use the bread maker to create fabulous loaves of bread. It has not been so for the last couple of years.

However, come Thanksgiving, I make cornbread from scratch using my mother's handwritten receipe. This cornbread is the base for the dressing; I will not use boxed "stuffing" or "dressing." It takes a while and it's worth it.

Still waiting for the orange tree I planted this year to start bearing fruit. Then I will enjoy fresh orange juice.

Brooksie

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
I will never buy dog biscuits again.

Ive been baking my Georgia doggie treats for about a year and she loves them. Well, she IS a dog, 'love' and 'food' petty much mean the same thing.

I use to buy her treats that were a decent price, and would last about two weeks, but then they went up over 40% in literally two weeks, so I said heck no, Im-a-bakin'.

LD

LD - you could market these and call them Georgia's Doggie Treats. People go nuts over things for their dogs.

Brooksie

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
*bump*

Now that the weather is colder, I was wondering if people have taken to making things from scratch again.

I still readily bake and generally whip up some bread sticks a few nights a week for dinner. Ive become aware that not all flours are created equal and either use King Arthur Flour or Bobs Red Mill. Both are fantastic :)

LD

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Every friday night is homemade pizza night at Casa Loisides. Like CB all bases are made from scratch.

P1010416.jpg

Pesto (home made) with asparagus (from our garden) ricotta & mozzarella.

P1010438.jpg

Homegrown basil & tomatoes with mozarella.

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
PIZZA

OMG(osh) those pizzas looked yummi-li-cious! OH I could smell them all the way up here!

Well, I've relocated back home with my dad (87 years old) because he was having helath issues & the Doctors had him on tons & tons of medications!So my daughter moved her first from WA state to "go back to school" which she did but also opened up a beauty shop so that when I got here in '05 I'd have a job after my "job"!
as soon as I got off the plane from Florida (where my home is) I went to the cupboards & started vacating! I've pretty much cooked with "basics" for a long time.
I have a moto "If it's white,it ain't RIGHT" so out with anything white!White rice.White Flour.White Gravy.White ain't right!
So I had to listen to a lot of dad's guff about a lot of differnt things! but like the majority of you, standing behind the chair for 40+ hours dealing with customers who really are undecided about what they want & then comming home to cook a full on meal wasn't the happiest day of my life,but i've been doing it all my life so what's the difference?!
So.......yes, Mr Crock pot,slow cooker & timer were/are my best friends! I grocery shop once a month!I have a "pantry" cupboard with "back ups" of the things I know we'll go through.for the most part we never have eaten a whole lot of manufactured foods.
If you need cooking instructions to eat it,you don't need it!is another moto of mine!
so to answer your questions LD in this economy I was looking for how they ate in the depression/WWII & that's how I found all of you nice wonderful folks! now I find out there's a book called "The ration diet". I jsut have gotten used to eyeballing how much 2 ounces was and that's all I get to use for the week of say for example LARD, that's it!so hope this helps

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
lolly_loisides said:
Every friday night is homemade pizza night at Casa Loisides. Like CB all bases are made from scratch.

Pesto (home made) with asparagus (from our garden) ricotta & mozzarella.

Homegrown basil & tomatoes with mozarella.

Nothing like home grown!!!! What I can do in the winter I do. What I cannot grow I get from local farmers.

Basil
8d97be69.jpg

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
I cook a lot and avoid most processed food. I don't do this to save money though, it's just a choice as it tastes better.

It does save money on restaurant bills though - discovering it's not hard to make better pizzas than Pizza Express is a lesson everybody should learn!

Edit: Lolly, that cake looks amazing!

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Thank you Methuselah & Carlisle Blues!

Here is my version of Elizabeth David's Gateau au Chocolat

4oz (120g) bitter chocolate (good chocolate makes great cakes, but I find plaistow cooking chocolate works fine), 4oz (120g) caster sugar, 2T plain flour, 3 eggs, 3oz (90g) butter.

Seperate eggs & beat whites to stiff peaks, while the egg whites are beating melt chocolate & butter together (in the microwave is easiest) add sugar, flour & beaten yolks to melted chocolate mix.

Fold egg whites (a spoonful at a time) into chocolate mix. Pour into smallish springform tin (greased & lined with baking paper) & place in preheated oven (350F, 280c) for 40 minutes.

After the cake has cooled, melt whats left of the block of cooking chocolate and 1T water & ice the cake with the melted chocolate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo