Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Frustration! Tall Guy Missing Out!

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Am I the only one with my 6'2" frame and extra long gangly arms and legs who experiences the horrid frustration of finding a truly fantastic sport coat or suit, vintage style, awesome details etc only to find it doesn't fit in ONE little way (sleeves always too short! AUGH!)

So frustrating! I missed out on two awesome pieces today. A 3 peice linen suit and a sweet belted action back sport jacket with patched pockets!

triple-d

A-List Customer
I can relate.......6'6"....27.5 sleeves needed. I remember back in the 70"s, you couldn't even buy tall sizes off the shelf. It seems the world..or people anyway....were smaller back then....lol

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Story of my life! Try finding something suitable with 27.75 sleeves, 19 shoulders and a 40 chest when you are 186cm!

triple-d, given your height your arms don't seem long at all. About average I'd say.

triple-d

A-List Customer
Ya, for my height, the arms are probably a match....lol
In the old days they were hard to match up with some sleeves that would go all the way to the end of them....lol
Especially in my Navy days. Government issue clothing didn't go to the ends.....lol

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Am I the only one with my 6'2" frame and extra long gangly arms and legs who experiences the horrid frustration of finding a truly fantastic sport coat or suit, vintage style, awesome details etc only to find it doesn't fit in ONE little way (sleeves always too short! AUGH!)
FL member thunderw21 is in roughly the same boat and yet has assembled a rather impressive vintage wardrobe.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Online or in a store? :eek:

It was in the Bellingham Goodwill in Washington State.

I normally wear a "42 tall/long" jacket, 34/34 trousers and my shirts that seem to fit best are 17 collar, 36 sleeve.

I think I should maybe PM this thunderw21 fellow and mine his brain for secrets on how to find awesome vintage duds that fit! (for as little money as possible, I might add!) :D

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
It's funny, my long arms are a distinct advantage in my career (law enforcement...I'm literally the long arm of the law! lol) but a huge disadvantage in finding vintage suits!

See, Baron, you're demonstrating the very problem here! :p

Mojito

One Too Many
Happens to girls as well....at 5'10" it's a problem for me in both vintage and modern. One reason I like sleeveless 1920s dresses is that I don't have too much wrist showing. And we won't even talk about trouser length - so much of what is available look like flood pants on me.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Happens to girls as well....at 5'10" it's a problem for me in both vintage and modern. One reason I like sleeveless 1920s dresses is that I don't have too much wrist showing. And we won't even talk about trouser length - so much of what is available look like flood pants on me.

Well for some, gals with long legs certainly "hold the gaze" of many of us guys...(window shoppers)!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
It's funny, my long arms are a distinct advantage in my career (law enforcement...I'm literally the long arm of the law! lol) but a huge disadvantage in finding vintage suits!

See, Baron, you're demonstrating the very problem here! :p

Vintage that is in nice and fairly good shape all by itself is a tussle for me, however, I think everyone has a similar issue with finding things to fit. I see hundreds of trousers that are my waist size, but are far too short, and I do not have really long legs. The same is true for jackets or suits. The arm length many times is not long enough, as I need to have at least a 25 inch sleeve from the shoulder down. But to find what may fit just takes some effort. And if nothing else, it has made me appreciate oxxford suits more!

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Vintage that is in nice and fairly good shape all by itself is a tussle for me, however, I think everyone has a similar issue with finding things to fit. I see hundreds of trousers that are my waist size, but are far too short, and I do not have really long legs. The same is true for jackets or suits. The arm length many times is not long enough, as I need to have at least a 25 inch sleeve from the shoulder down. But to find what may fit just takes some effort. And if nothing else, it has made me appreciate oxxford suits more!

Who are all these people running around with short, stubby arms?? :p Or is it the opposite, that there are so many of us with long gangly limbs that all those sizes are taken?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo